New 3930k - No CPU cooler. Did i just fry my CPU?

Warhog22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
New 3930k - No CPU cooler. Did i just fry my CPU?
hi all,

I appreciate any help Please

Im a big newb at PC building. Bought a pre-built X79 barbones.

Got it today installed Ram/Gfx card.

Was going to install a easy liquid cooling system for 3930k soon, after i updated bios and made sure system Posted. Or i
would have to return it soon. (30 days)

had to install wireless adaptor to update bios so I started the computer up. Only to install Netgear's Software off CD.

Entered Bios, computer turned off on its own after 2 mins. Again tryed, computer turned off after a few mins.

Booted into WIndows to load Netgear's software. Computer shut off 2/3rds way thru install or 3-5 mins total with power on.

Smelled burning after it shut its self off when i stuck my nose 1 foot from case. Was not to to strong of burning smell... but distinctive.

Opened Case. CPU felt very hot to touch. Would burn my finger if i had keeped it there more than 1-2 seconds. So yea hot!

Im guessing the safety feature was kicking in yea? Is my Motherboard or CPU damaged prolly?

I thought CPU Solutions.com who i bought it from did a 24-hour burn in test. Guess not..

Did i just do a really stupid?

BIOS 703 Asus Rampage IV
16gig Corsair Dominator GT 2133 (not set yet)
1200 high Current Pro Corsair 1200 PSU
Windows 7 64bit
9800GT (waiting for AMD 7970's)
haf-x 942 case

Warhog22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Ive not tryed turning it back on. U can't even turn on a CPU without cooling it with a device?

Im scared.. Didnt the motherboards "to hot" safety feature save me in time by shutting off computer? I hear if it hits 91C temp it throttles or something..

Is the 3930k fryed or Motherboard fryed. u think?

Thanks for any help..

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
You may have been spared by it's auto thermal shut off yes. Though NEVER EVER EVER power on a computer without having a heatsink of some sort firmly seated with a thin layer of thermal compound. NEVER! Quite possibly the biggest no no on the subject of computer building.

Warhog22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I took the CPU out and after inspecting I could not see any burn marks. And the smell is very faint and seems to be coming from behind the CPU.

Think Motherboard is ok still atleast?

Thanks! Im so sad and dumb.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
You will know when you get a new heatsink to test it out. Cross your fingers. If you have issues start a new thread from there. Also, your machine will not boot up without memory as well, for future notice. I'm surprised you were able to enter the bios.

fit a cooler and turn it on to see if you did any real damage... its likley that you have fried something. thing is if the firm sold you a working barebones then they should have provided cooling so they may actually be responsible for it dying. try accusing em and after the big argument. meet em half way on repair cost.

Warhog22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I installed the memory and graphics card..

I think they tested it with a cooler for 24 hour burn in.

Do you think this has damaged motherboard or only CPU?

Yes my Corsair h100 will be here soon.

I thought it should turn off auto to keep this from happening! :cry:

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Man. Everybody is a noob once, and every noob has a noob story.

Mine happened in 1999 when I installed a lovely new AMD K6 III in my computer. It was a planned upgrade and I'd bought a new motherboard a few months earlier, carefully chosen so it would be able to take my current CPU - a Pentium 200MMX - and the K6 III. (As an aside, it seems bizarre that a chipset was capable of accommodating an AMD and an Intel CPU and didn't care which. This was socket 7 - the last socket that could).

The K6 III required a mobo that could offer a split voltage between I/O and VCORE. You set VCORE with jumpers and the mobo would do the rest.

Well, I misread the voltage settings, accidentally setting VCORE at the I/O level. The result? Post for a few seconds... then DEAD. I'd fried the CPU. I was lucky though as the shop exchanged it.

Seriously though, never ever run computer components without cooling. They are only designed to work with cooling, and the various safety systems they have in place aren't designed to deal with the scenario where there is no cooling at all.

These CPUs generate 100 Watts of heat. Imagine a 100 Watt lightbulb and think how hot it gets. The filament gets white hot and over 1000 degrees. It's designed to withstand such temperatures - the filament is made of tungsten and surrounded by inert gas. A CPU would easily generate such temps if you didn't cool them - though in fact the silicon would melt long before you got there.

The safety cutoff mechanisms are designed to cope with a certain rate of increase in temperature, but probably don't account for the scenario where cooling isn't there. I imagine the temperature could increase so quickly that the damage is done before the cutoff has a chance to kick in.

Cooling is a given.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Most motherboards these days detect wether or not a CPU Cooler is present - I know mine did when I forgot to plug my CPU Cooler back in after a reseat...oops. It refused to boot and shutdown immediatley - no damage was done (Although I at least had a heatsink for those few seconds, not just a heatspreader o_O)

I hope for your sake it will be okay. Things like this put people off building PCs. My first PC was a disaster - I forgot to use risers for the motherboard and shorted the whole thing out. Fortunatly that was a simple mistake to learn from :p

Good luck!

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

I did that too! My mobo shorted, but seemed to work fine when properly insulated. I didn't know about risers though and figuring the problem was shorting, I laid it on a bed of polystyrene. Alright then, I have two noob stories.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I got thermal compound on the die on my first solo build years ago, back before they had the coverings and you had to shim. Was freeeeeeaking out it wouldn't boot. My pop grabbed some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and squared it away. Was bummed cause I wanted to show him i could do it on my own at the time, though at least he saved my behind on that one :)

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

You're right of course but that's the thing when you're a noob. You don't know what you don't know.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

When I built my first rig I had no clue, not even how to build it. So I spent 3 weeks learning, watching videos, reading books. Turns out my first rig went without a hitch. When your a 'noob' thats what you should do, but for some reason people thing they can buy all this hardware refer to the manual once and be done with it. When I build computers now I read everything at least 3 times before the build so I know what's going on. Hate to say it, 'better safe than sorry.'

Afriporean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
That's an expensive lesson. Hope you didn't do any permanent damage.

On the topic of cooling the 3930k, is there any general consensus on a decent cooler, since it doesn't come with a stock one? I've seen a lot of sales for liquid cooling it, but I'm really hesitant to go that route. If I'm not planning on overclocking the thing significantly, then could I get away with an air cooled solution?

We have a couple coolers that you can buy for the Intel® Core™ i7-3930K, they are RTS2011AC (air cooler) and the RTS2011LC (sealed water cooler). Otherwise most of the other major coolers have released a support for socket 2011 including the Cooler Master hyper 212+.

The Intel Core i7-3930K (all of the 2nd generation Intel Core processors) has a feature called thermtrip that is the final shut off at 125c. So good news is that you most likely didnt fry the processor. Bad news is that you may have damaged something else.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team