Wont boot with braket installed, boots without ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I just finished putting my system together. I could not get it to boot and the asus board gave me a code saying that i had no video card.

after trying everything to get the card to work (it worked in my dads dell, his card did not work in my system)

so after trying everything, i removed the bracket from the video card and tried to boot, and what do you know.. it boots. Did the same thing with my dads video card and it also started working when in my computer

And by braket i mean the piece that gets screwed to the case. Any idea why this is??

Motherboard is a Asus M4N75TD. I cant remember what my video card is.. windows is installing right now so i cant check. Shouldnt matter though, my dads older card did the same thing and only works when the bracket is removed.

Everyone always says, "It's a short.", even when it is most likely an open circuit somewhere.

I have seen this kind of problem before.

You are going to need the bracket to secure the video card. Reinstall the bracket, leaving the screws a little loose. Plug in the video card, securing the bracket to the case. Now move the video around until it starts working. Then tighten the screws.

it could be an earthing problem as the metal bracket earths the card to the case. Are you using a 3 pin plug from the power socket at the wall to the case? you should be. There could be something wrong with the psu also. It could also be, that when the bracket screw is tightened, its pulling the card out of the slot a little bit. Maybe your chassis is bent/warped.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Right a 3-pin power cord is MANDATORY. If it is a 3pin cord, take the round pin in your fingers and try to make it move (don't be too harsh on it though) to see if it is broken inside the cord. You can also check the inside the power outlet to see if it is actually grounded to the casing (or a screw) like it should be.

Also if I were you, I would just cut the bottom part of the bracket so that it doesn't touche the motherboard at all. A cutter for cutting less than 0.6mm stainless steel is perfect for the task. You could also fold the bottom part of the bracket on itself, again to prevent shorting.

I remember that when I was building one of my computers (about 3 years ago) it didn't boot at all, or was seldom random. I found out the bracket was shorting the motherboard. I just folded it then replaced it and HURRAY it worked like a charm. ^^

Righto. This is a classic case of a short. Any standoffs behind the board without screws will cause this (not aligned with the screw holes of the motherboard). AS5 on touching metal on the motherboard can also cause this. Any metal touching the motherboard other than in the sockets, slots, ports and screw holes can cause this.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i guess im not seeing how the motherboard should be installed then. the solder joints are pretty long imo so they must be touching the case when i have it screwed in. the board is aligned perfectly honestly.. the i/o ports are centered.

right now with the bracket off, Everything works just like it should. Its a lower end card, no 3pin power connector

i honestly think its this pos case.. its a low end cool master that has been shitty sense day one with pci cards not lining up right.

i too thought it was a short until i literally bent the bottom of the bracket back toward the card its self and installed the card. the bent part was not touching ANYTHING and it still wouldn't boot.

ive built 4 computers before this, and never had any issues like this and ive put then all together the same... just set the board in there, screw it in gently and make sure the ports are lined up right. Then install the pci cards and make sure they are tight. Done.. maybe im doing something wrong?

Some cases, when you buy them, will have standoffs screwed into the tray. There aren't any beside those you have screws in?

Also, do you have the HD audio or AC'97 audio running to the case? Having the incorrect sound connection or the sound set incorrectly in the BIOS can cause this too.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i do have hd audio plugged in.. ill check the settings when i reboot (overlcoking this BE is amazing)

it didnt seem to matter if HD audio was plugged in or not when i was troubleshooting last night. I just had what was needed to boot when i figured out that the bracket was causing my issue.

pardon my ignorance, but what are standoffs... i just have screws going through the board (they are slightly long screws and only have threading on the bottom half of them)

maybe thats my problem....

And the metal on metal (back of the motherboard to the tray) contact will always cause a short. Touching a bracket to the case would be the trigger.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i thought about using those but i thought it would keep the board from sitting high enough

the scary thing is, i have never used those EVER and never had issues.. not even with pci card placement. weird. ill tear into it and install some standoffs!!!!

ill let you guys know how it goes later

Status
Not open for further replies.