Decent cpu for around 400?

kg313

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hello, Im gonna start off by saying i know very little about computers and im looking to build a cpu because im sick of the dell dimension that i have to write this on. Anyway, some of the stuff i want my cpu to be able to do is play games like diablo2 and D3 when it comes out, city of heroes ect., also want it to be good for hi-res videos(1080p and such) because im on youtube alot. I may want to add some video editing programs later on and maybe some audio recording stuff as well because i would eventually like to record my drums and stuff. That being said Im basically retarded when it comes to computers, i just know what i want it to do. please help. Also im looking for it to be around the 350-450 price range. So if i should build a computer i need to know what i would need or should i just buy a computer that can do all this already.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished

you do realise no matter what you do to your PC it will not help the load times of video streamed from the internet right?

thats all your internet connection.

ervinelim

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

Build a CPU (computer for him) . He wants a new computer for $400

ok, $400 should get you a decent, basic PC.

my suggestion:
Athlon II X3 445: $75
Asus AM3+ 760G: $58
4 GB DDR3-1333: $25
500 GB Drive: $40
Antec EW 380W: $40
Rosewill R102: $30
DVD: $18
Sapphire HD6770: $110
Rosewill 120mm fan: $6
$402

this should do games at medium resolutions, and is ready for the 2 Module (4150) or 3 Module (6150) bulldozer when it comes out

kg313

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Is this setup going to be good if I want to upgrade in the future? Like if I wanted to add a better graphics card or something. At first I was looking at up grading my CPU that I have now (dell dimension 3000) but I read that they not really worth it as they are old and tent to be pretty expensive to upgrade.

I guess I need the whole system. I have a monitor I can use for now and a key board and all that stuff but I don't really know what a mobo is or what it does. Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions I'm a little out of my element here and I would just rather ask someone who knows what their talking about instead of thumbing through a billion pages.

the motherboard there should be able to take bulldozer CPUs in an upgrade (possibly limited to the 95W models - 41xx and 61xx, but still an improvement).

Its single GPU only, but you can swap out faster GPUs as you need. get this as it is now, and you can swap in a 7xxx series card later when you get more money.

"mobo" is just short for 'motherboard'

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I've actually seen alot of these guys in our locality. They call the case "CPU". They think that VRAM is the most important thing in GPUs, so search for 2GB cards in $50 budget. They take 700-800W cheap generic PSUs and when their motherboards fry, they blame the manufacturer. They buy MicroATX super cheap cases for as low as $5-$10.

I'm just fed up with these kind of people.

they exist in the States too... don't know the difference between RAM and Hard drive, call the tower the CPU, etc.

Computers are the single least understood tool used by people in the entire world. Those sorts are everywhere. Its mostly because they don't know...and the best thing to do it explain it to them.

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I've tried to explain it, but they just wouldn't hear. They'll argue with you. Some guy also said me, "hey kid, you know better than my uncle? he owns a PC store. He says HD 5450 is the best graphic card in the world".

My own f****** father says, "As long as windows loads, I know that the PC is fine."

My response is "Yes, I do know better. The HD5450 is the best graphics card in the world ... for his profit margin!"

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
instead of just going "OMGWTFBBQ UR AN IDIOT" prove him wrong.

show the benchmarks and reviews.

even say. the HD5450 was a good card for it's day but there has been some large improvements since then.

you wont get anywhere running round calling people stupid.