Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ati Radeon HD 6850 vs Geforce Gtx 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2011 6:20:08 AM

I want to buy a graphics card for which i am really confused with (on some websites Ati is favoured and in some Nvidia!)....

Ive researched for gtx 460 and i have liked it better than hd 6850 but the only problem is I want to get the best from One of these card

PC speccs are:
Core i3 540 3.06ghz
Motherboard Intel DH55PJ
2GB DDR3 Kingston Ram
I want to target it at a RES of 1366x768...

so will I be able to Play Higher-end Games ie.Crysis 2/CoD.../Gta IV with these Pc specs or will i need to upgrade anything else?
I dont want to overclock it so On factory which card will be better?

about the budget...I just want to Know clearly what to buy from one of these..
and i am also Really Concerned about my CPU being LImited/Bottlenecking..?
so guys what do You think which is better??

Thanks! :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 6:47:04 AM

Either card will shine at a 13x7 resolution, have you bought a monitor yet? I give it as my opinion that the GTX 460 is the better card, but I'm a little biased as I own two of them. It is a better overclocker than the 6850, and the two cards trade blows at stock. You should not worry about CPU bottlenecking with a single 460 or 6850.
July 29, 2011 7:02:35 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=291 460 Overclocks better but that does not matter in your case. This is with a high end system so do not expect these frames. I would get another 2gbs of ram(20 bucks) unless your slots are full. Cpu is fine at that res.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 7:08:56 AM

How did I miss that?^^ You'll definitely want 4GB of RAM for gaming.
July 29, 2011 7:09:45 AM

cuecuemore said:
Either card will shine at a 13x7 resolution, have you bought a monitor yet? I give it as my opinion that the GTX 460 is the better card, but I'm a little biased as I own two of them. It is a better overclocker than the 6850, and the two cards trade blows at stock. You should not worry about CPU bottlenecking with a single 460 or 6850.





Yes i hav a monitor Viewsonic 1938 19'inch 1366x768 res
July 29, 2011 7:12:35 AM

brandondiep said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=291 460 Overclocks better but that does not matter in your case. This is with a high end system so do not expect these frames. I would get another 2gbs of ram(20 bucks) unless your slots are full. Cpu is fine at that res.




But you see that its 50/50 but i want one of the best from these two!
July 29, 2011 7:18:30 AM

Overclock the 460's core to 900 and it is better. Or look at benchmarks for the games you play.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 7:44:15 AM

brandondiep said:
Overclock the 460's core to 900 and it is better. Or look at benchmarks for the games you play.

This.
July 29, 2011 8:29:51 AM

Regardless of what u buy, the only difference in framerates is about 2-3 depending on the game. IMO get the cheaper one and get a better monitor
a c 191 U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 4:31:49 PM

Consider also the capacity of your PSU. The HD6850 can be run on a quality 380W-450W PSU; the GTX460 will run on a EA-380D, but right on the edge of its capacity, so you'd probably want 450W-500W for that one.

Edit: Otherwise, they're close enough in power that unless benchmarks show a notable advantage for one of them in the specific games you play, get the cheaper one.
a c 171 U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 10:59:11 PM

Also, upgrade your ram to 4gb, 2gb is not enough for most games.
!