Ati Radeon HD 6850 vs Geforce Gtx 460

I want to buy a graphics card for which i am really confused with (on some websites Ati is favoured and in some Nvidia!)....

Ive researched for gtx 460 and i have liked it better than hd 6850 but the only problem is I want to get the best from One of these card

PC speccs are:
Core i3 540 3.06ghz
Motherboard Intel DH55PJ
2GB DDR3 Kingston Ram
I want to target it at a RES of 1366x768...

so will I be able to Play Higher-end Games ie.Crysis 2/CoD.../Gta IV with these Pc specs or will i need to upgrade anything else?
I dont want to overclock it so On factory which card will be better?

about the budget...I just want to Know clearly what to buy from one of these..
and i am also Really Concerned about my CPU being LImited/Bottlenecking..?
so guys what do You think which is better??

Thanks! :D
11 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6850 geforce
  1. Either card will shine at a 13x7 resolution, have you bought a monitor yet? I give it as my opinion that the GTX 460 is the better card, but I'm a little biased as I own two of them. It is a better overclocker than the 6850, and the two cards trade blows at stock. You should not worry about CPU bottlenecking with a single 460 or 6850.
  2. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=291 460 Overclocks better but that does not matter in your case. This is with a high end system so do not expect these frames. I would get another 2gbs of ram(20 bucks) unless your slots are full. Cpu is fine at that res.
  3. How did I miss that?^^ You'll definitely want 4GB of RAM for gaming.
  4. cuecuemore said:
    Either card will shine at a 13x7 resolution, have you bought a monitor yet? I give it as my opinion that the GTX 460 is the better card, but I'm a little biased as I own two of them. It is a better overclocker than the 6850, and the two cards trade blows at stock. You should not worry about CPU bottlenecking with a single 460 or 6850.

Yes i hav a monitor Viewsonic 1938 19'inch 1366x768 res
  5. brandondiep said:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=291 460 Overclocks better but that does not matter in your case. This is with a high end system so do not expect these frames. I would get another 2gbs of ram(20 bucks) unless your slots are full. Cpu is fine at that res.

But you see that its 50/50 but i want one of the best from these two!
  6. Overclock the 460's core to 900 and it is better. Or look at benchmarks for the games you play.
  7. brandondiep said:
    Overclock the 460's core to 900 and it is better. Or look at benchmarks for the games you play.

This.
  8. Regardless of what u buy, the only difference in framerates is about 2-3 depending on the game. IMO get the cheaper one and get a better monitor
  9. Consider also the capacity of your PSU. The HD6850 can be run on a quality 380W-450W PSU; the GTX460 will run on a EA-380D, but right on the edge of its capacity, so you'd probably want 450W-500W for that one.

Edit: Otherwise, they're close enough in power that unless benchmarks show a notable advantage for one of them in the specific games you play, get the cheaper one.
  10. Also, upgrade your ram to 4gb, 2gb is not enough for most games.
  11. Both the cards have almost same performance but the hd 6850 dominates gtx 460 by a few fps in some games cuz its 11% faster than the gtx 460.
    http://www.hwcompare.com/8241/geforce-gtx-460-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/
    Now its completely your brand preference. I would say go for the cheaper one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics