New graphics card in current system

stragis

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: One week or October 20th 2011 (Card is under RMA, artifacted) BUDGET RANGE: 250$ USD

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming: League of Legends, Battlefield Three. Folding@Home.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: EVGA GTX 280 Coolermaster 900w

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: for ease of use, here is my whole build http://i.imgur.com/bzDBT.jpg Changes are I now run on 12gigs Gskill ripjaw

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer nvidia for mfg, and EVGA as a retailer

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe but likely no SLI OR CROSSFIRE: if it is more cost effective

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2x 1920x180

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to run bf3 at near best settings. League of Legends and Minecraft are also big concerns.

stragis

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I've looked at the 550ti (got reccomended against it) the 570 seems like it requires way too many amps for my current PSU. The 560 says "500 Watt or greater power supply (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps.)" the max my psu has on the 12v says 25A, I am still unclear as to how this is calculated. I have been told to look at how many watts are allocated the 12 v rail and then divide that by the number of rails to get the actual maximum amperage.

The reason this is a concern is because the graphics card i currently own artifact twice in 2 years (rma'd again right now) and everything in my computer except the CPU has been replaced. Maybe just bad luck?

stragis

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Awesome. Well I have to hand it to EVGA they are awesome. I sent my card in they approved the RMA 12 days outside of warranty. Sent in a gtx 280 and got back a gtx 470.