First build *complete*: Testing??

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hey all,

I just finished my first ever computer build and I think I pulled it off :D
The system boots, windows 7 64 bit installed etc, so everything seems fine.

However I have a few questions regarding testing my system. But first I'll list you my parts:
- Haf X
- i5 2500k, stock cooler (waiting for scythe mugen)
- 8gb 1600Mhz corsair vengeance
- Asrock extreme4 gen3
- crucial m4 128Gb SSD
- 1Tb HD1300SJ blabla samsung F1 :)
- TX850 v2 PSU
- Sapphire 6950 dirt 3 version
- Sony optiarc AD-7280S
- windows 7 home premium

All of this running on a huuuuge 800x600 CRT screen :p (still waiting for my screen)

So everything is hooked up and running, but I noticed a few things:
1. With a clean install of windows 7 home premium x64 I have 93 of 119Gb left on my SSD, is this average?
2. When starting up, the motherboard's load screen pops up twice, with a beep in between, this takes quite some time. From the moment windows starts, things go fast :p But the mobo screen takes up 1/2 of total boot time, can I speed this up? It pops up twice, while I'm used to it popping up only once.
3. The I/O shield plate: the I/O shield area of the motherboard isn't very close to the shield plate (0.5 cm inwards) I could see some problems with certain USB devices or some other inputs, because the plate blocks it from inserting well. Is this normal?

PICTURES: http://imageshack.us/g/41/dscn2195w.jpg/

Now concerning testing my system thoroughly:
4. What program lets me see all hardware, and lots of info about my system?
5. CPU-Z doesn't display clocks or any info about my HD 6950, it also displays 665 Mhz DRAM frequency, but I have 1600 Mhz RAM?
6. What program can I use to monitor my temperatures?
7. Any benchmarking/system test software I should run?
8. Also, any link to a place where I can learn how to manage my SSD, so it won't be packed with useless files and those get written to the samsung 1Tb?

MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!

9. IMPORTANT: Sometimes, when I start up the system, it hangs on the "starting up windows" screen. The windows logo doesn't get shown, it just hangs there. There also appears a green line on the top of the screen.
Here's a pic: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/dscn2214yu.jpg/
It hangs at this screen with a green block on top of the screen.

Thanks!!

Vasco

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
* added pictures, could maybe clear some things up (about the ram maybe)

Those slots aren't color coded sadly ^^
No, I didn't yet install all drivers of the mobo, including the USB 3.0 one.
Why does it support 2.0 without out of the box but not 3.0 aswell? o_O
Nope, didn't install the graphics driver yet.

Whenever I reinstalled any os on any laptop/computer of mine, that wasn't necessary to even recognize the video card?

I will do these things tomorrow though, had no more time today :)

The motherboard manual will tell you where to install the memory.

For the initial installation of motherboard drivers, use the disk that came with the motherboard.

You can do the same with video card, or you can go to manufacturer's site and download current drivers.

Like Outlander said, it sounds like you haven't installed the video drivers.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Can anyone help me here?

The freezing startup screen when booting is happening too frequent, there has to be something wrong.
A google couldn't help me, not seen anyone else reporting a green line on top of the boot screen.

Here's a pic: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/dscn2214yu.jpg/
It hangs at this screen with a green block on top of the screen.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Never seen that before. Did you fix the RAM placement?

I just looked at the mobo manual. You inserted your RAM incorrectly from the pic I saw. You should use 1st and 3rd black slots OR 2nd and 4th black slots. Otherwise RAM will not run dual channel.

Quoted from the manual:

If a pair of memory modules is NOT installed in the same Dual Channel, for example, installing a pair of memory modules in DDR3_A1 and DDR3_A2, it is unable to activate the Dual Channel Memory Technology.

This is what you have inserted your RAM in from the pic you posted.

cant get your pic to load , but boot problems are sometimes caused by incorrect RAM timings and/or voltage . The mb should sort this out but sometimes they get it wrong .

after changing your ram to the correct slots for dual channel operation check the voltage and timings in BIOS
READ THE MOTHERBOARD MANUAL

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
The RAM is placed in the correct slots for a day or 2 now. (according to the mb manual) A1 and B1
And dual channel is activated.

The booting problem occured the first time while installing windows 7,
the windows 7 setup rebooted, but then it hang on the "starting up windows" screen.

I had to reboot myself a few times to make it trough the windows setup.

After that it showed up quite a few times.
When it happens, it happens 4-9 boots after eachother. So it takes me 10 minutes or so to get into windows 7 :S

Now, it didn't occur for 1,5 days.

All this time, I worked with the RAM placed in the "wrong" slots and the good slots, so it has nothing to do with the RAM I think.

The fact it didn't occur anymore doesn't mean it's gone I fear, so how can I find out what causes this? The fact it happens at random times makes it very difficult to find the source of the problem..

When it happens, the motherboard "Dr. debug" screen doesn't show any number.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Reset the CMOS on the mobo. Again READ THE MANUAL. It will tell you how to do this. You can manually set RAM timings and voltages. All this info is provided on the RAM stick OR packaging. Reinstall Windows 7. Inital install could've been corrupted. Install all mobo drivers first. If all continues to go well. Do all Windows updates.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Ok here is what I did:

Turn off pc, take out 1 ramstick and note down specs:
1800 Mhz 9-10-9-27 1,50V

Then I read the manual, nothing about resetting the CMOS, except a mention of the button on the backside. So pushed that one and I reset it.

Put in windows 7 disk, didn't recognize the SSD, so I had to reboot and change this option in UEFI:
Marvell SATA3 bootable => Yes

I also checked the RAM, the only thing I could find was: DRAM voltage: 1,50V
Nothing about timings or frenquency
*found it, it was set at 9-9-9-24

Now I installed windows 7

No problems with starting up or rebooting at all, everything went perfect.

But now, 1 restart and BOOM
Green bar on top of the screen, computer hangs....

So it is still there :O

Note: I didn't change anything on the ram settings yet
BECAUSE:
Well, I did update the bios firmware before, from UEFI 1.0 to UEFI 1.1
got it from here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme4%20Gen3&o=BIOS
Since then (I think), I got some problems in the bios:
- Mouse controls are inverted. Meaning left/right axis is Up/down and so on
- controls are freaking out, as soon as I scroll or browse over a place where I can change a number, it automatily inserts 33333333333333333.......
So I can't change any numbers.
- Also after CMOS update and some times before that, the bios asks me to set the system time, I click ok to confirm the time and date, but thesame screen keeps popping up! => can't change anything in BIOS
eg: the bios is messed up.

I'm not really happy with the ASRock motherboard, since it had nothing but issues (for me), UEFI not working well, usb 2.0 and 3.0 not working, ...

The booting problems were there before I updated the bios, so that is not the cause of that.

Who knows how I can get my system stable and working? He will be my hero :O

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
What mode are you running SSD/HDD in BIOS? IDE or ACHI? From my understanding, to get maximum performance for SSD with Win7, set it to ACHI.

Are you running a wireless keyboard or mouse by any chance? I know my wireless kb and mouse act buggy when interacting with UEFI (Asus mobo). If I use wired, it works as it's supposed to.