Can you rip and play games at the same time?

donaldchua

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
can you rip blu ray movies and play high setting games like bf3 and skyrim with a phenom x4 b50 oc to 3.7?
with 6870 vc?

can you help me on this guys any recommendations / suggestions?

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
in task manager under processes you can set up process affinity. set your game to only use 3 of your cores and the rip program to use the remaining one.
this will keep them separate but will slow down games that take advantage of 4 cores.

I'm not sure about BF3, but for Skyrim, looking at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html I would be inclined to say probably not [well], unless you lower a few settings (to "high" rather than "ultra"). Since Skyrim only uses two cores, you might mess with your Affinity settings and make Skyrim and your ripper use different cores, but you may still have RAM or other limitations.

If you are simply ripping a Blu-Ray to your hard drive then I think you should be fine. you may get stuttering once in a while, but it shouldn't be too bad. Also, you should rip it to a separate hard drive than the one where your games are installed.

If you want to play games and encode a Blu-Ray movie to MKV using the X.264 codec, then I recommend a 6 core CPU like the i7-3930k.