5760x1080 vs 2560x1600

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
i want your opinions on what you prefer on another getting single 30 inch monitor with 2560x1600 resolution or triple high quality monitors with 5760x1080
so lets hear what you have

i think i will never go for triple monitor setup. my eyes can't see all three screen at the same time :p. but for me the real reason that stopping me from using such a setup is the hardware requirement to make it run properly. not to mention my room can't fit three monitor setup. so given the option above i will go for single 30 inch monitor (even that is already quite big for my eyes unless i sit from a far like watching TVs)

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Does your card support triple monitors? If it doesn't then you would have to go for the single large monitor. A single screen is better (in a way) than 3 because you don't have all those bezels in between...

3 screens is something you could get used to. 3 monitors are a less expensive option if you already have the video capabilities in place (SLI for Nvidia or a card with a DP/mini-DP for Radeon).

Though, if I had $1200-ish to put toward this, I'd probably go with the single monitor option.

For the 3 monitor option, since OP has 1 580, they'll have to purchase another to go with the 3D/2D Vision surround option. ~$500 Plus my assumption is OP already has one monitor at 1080p. 2 more will cost an additional (ballpark) $225/monitor looking at ~$450. ~$950.

~$950 for the 3 monitor option and ~1200 for the single. Another advantage of the single, beside what renz496 has mentioned is no bezel breaking up the view, but the wide 5760 view would be great for shooters. That's a mighty big horizon to be able to scan. You'd have to get used to the bezels between screens, though.

What's the budget?

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
dont worry about my budget i can sli my gtx 580 today if i want but this is a discussion not a Q for me i cant decide wich is better i once had a radeon in my system 5870 and i tried dual screen setup but its very bad for fps gamesi think it will be better with triple screens i runed need for speed hot pursuit on dual screens it was like heaven with my audio system having the road and the car on multiple screens is the best gaming experince i had ever tested
so our cause is not the budget its about the best expreince

Yeah. If you're going to go with a multi-screen setup, 3 screens makes sense with the shooters. You don't want the crosshairs split between monitors as in a dual setup.

Peripheral vision is definitely lacking in the shooters on the standard 1080p. 3 monitors would maximize this and make it more realistic in the left/right direction, but then you give up 500px in the up/down direction that you'd gain on the 2560x1600 30" monitor.

I think the 2560x1600 offers a good balance of additional up/down and left/right real-estate compared to the standard 1080p monitor. It doesn't offer as much on the periphery compared to the 5760x1080 3-monitor setup, but more and more games, especially shooters, require vision in a vertical direction as well.

Additionally, the 30" ips monitors, in general, give the best image quality, color, and viewing angles. The longer response time on these monitors is arguable as well as there is no standard companies use to measure monitor response time relative to other monitors.

Through this exercise, I feel like I'm talking myself into one of these things.

andy27tx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I have three monitors and two 5870s and there's no way in hell I'd go back to one. Peripheral vision is amazing and it feels like you're almost cheating when you play against people who are just using one screen. Go try it out somewhere or take a look at the wide screen gaming forum for screenshots. AMD also has a page somewhere where they compare 1 vs 3. No matter what you think, if you haven't seen it in person you really don't know what it's like. It's spectacular. Compared with 3D glasses I'd go with 3 screens in a heartbeat.

One of the issues that has to be taken into consideration is the power required to keep up with the games when using extremely high resolutions or multiple monitors. It takes power and that can be a bit troublesome.

I ended up going with 3D/120hz @1080p. The reasons being is that I can play the most demanding games at max or near max settings such as Metro 2033 and Dx11 Crysis 2 and the likes of those. When I play weaker games I can take advantage of 120hz and get a much smoother experience and I can play in 3D if I feel like it.

3 monitor gaming would be nice, but it sure takes a lot of power or compromise on settings.

Sounds cool. Everyone you talk to that uses Eyefinity or 3D/2D surround seems to have that same opinion. They never want to go back to one screen. Do you use the 5760x1080 or 3240x1920 orientation?

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
when i used the dual screens they were very nice but the only thing that i wish is that i can use my new 3 monitors (coming soon) lg IPS236v ips panels in portrait mode but i have to do some work for me i think the three ips panels will look much great on portrait surround/eyefinity and you wont lose your eyes for god sake from looking left and right you will look to the middle and for @bystander yeah man im now in your position i bought my Asus VG236H 120hz monitor from 7 months and its TN panel the only thing that i regret is the horrible nvidia 3d vision its very horrible if i go back i wont buy it i will buy lg ips monitor but the thing that stop me from buying the new 3 monitors is the 120hz factor because i will downgrade to 60hz with lg ips panel

Status
Not open for further replies.