Sign in with
Your question

New CPU for old FoxConn A7VMX-K

Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2011 2:58:18 PM

Hi Guys

I want to upgrade the CPU of one of my PCs which has a FoxConn A7VMX-K mobo.

According to the FoxConn CPU support site, the highest CPU working with it is a AM2+ Phenom x3 2.8G
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=...

However, I remember in the past googling for CPUs for it and stumbled across an email somebody posted from FoxConn support, in which FoxConn stated that some of the newer and faster CPUs they are making will also work. Something to do with some higher bit-rate CPUs which will work with it while some of the newer CPUs with lower bit-rates wouldn't.

Now, sadly I'm unable to find that email again and was hoping someone in here has experience with that mobo and newer CPU.

Just in case you are wondering, I could buy a new PC, so this is not about money, I just would like to give the little guy a little more live-time rather than throwing it out.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

More about : cpu foxconn a7vmx

a c 159 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 4:33:43 PM

Buy a new pc or build your own. Your board chipset is too old to use phenom II's. Even if one worked, most of those boards have a cpu wattage limit of 89, which is too low for many of the newer cpus. Sell the board, cpu, and ram on craigslist for around $40-50. Make the switch to ddr3 to give you a wide selection of cpus and motherboards to use. If you buy one, go with Intel: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=S....

Better deals for dell systems should appear in January, which is the end of their quarter. I've worked there several times.
December 30, 2011 5:11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I already have a new high spec PC. I wanted to see if I can upgrade the CPU of my old PC instead of throwing it out/selling it off to get a bit more life out of it.

The mobo can run some Phenom II as seen the CPU compatibility list in the link I posted.
I know it can't run the Black Editions.

The list (link I posted) however has not been updated in a while and as I said I sadly can't find the post any more of a guy posting the letter from foxconn confirming some new CPUs with a higher bit-rate (what ever that may mean) can run on that mobo. Those CPUs where made after the Black Editions compatible with AM2+ (AM3) and where running about 3.2/3.4G.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there would know of those CPUs , hopefully cause they themselves had one or have one right now.

I hope I can find the post again as the names of those CPUs was on it :( 

Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 5:37:40 PM

o1die said:
Buy a new pc or build your own. Your board chipset is too old to use phenom II's. Even if one worked, most of those boards have a cpu wattage limit of 89, which is too low for many of the newer cpus. Sell the board, cpu, and ram on craigslist for around $40-50. Make the switch to ddr3 to give you a wide selection of cpus and motherboards to use. If you buy one, go with Intel: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=S....

Better deals for dell systems should appear in January, which is the end of their quarter. I've worked there several times.

I agree but would not go with Dell. All prebuilt computers use junky parts but Dell is one of the worst. They use junky parts, have the worst customer service and is by far one of the worst computer companies out there. I would say build your own. Even a budget build will be better than anything from a big box company.

http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB3/

December 30, 2011 5:58:40 PM

Not sure what the point of that link is, all it shows is:

Quote:
You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

Was there suppose to be something?
a c 152 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 6:04:25 PM

I don't know it works for me, it takes me directly to their forums. The point is it's a forum where ex Dell workers and customer's who were screwed by Dell can tell their stories. Just do a google search of I hate Dell.net After reading those stories you would never buy a Dell.
December 30, 2011 6:42:15 PM

I found some more new information about the CPU compatibility of that board.

As long as the CPU is 95W it should run.
The problem as far as I found out was that the Black Editions all came with higher than 95w but some of the later CPUs had alternate 95w versions.

The AMD Quad Core Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz Socket AM3 (95w version) will run as well with a BIOS upgrade to AM3 as far as I could find out so far (can be overclocked to over 3g).

So not all grim, doesn't look like I need to sell of the parts just yet :) 
December 30, 2011 7:11:06 PM

The only question now left is, if a mobo only supports 95w CPUs does it mean a up-to 95w or CPU must be exactly 95w?

I found a nice Dual-Core with a Thermal Design Power of 65w, would that work on a mobo designed for 95w?

Its a very cheap CPU, I might just buy it and see.
December 31, 2011 8:32:36 AM

I have solved my issue now and ordered the AMD Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz 8MB 95W Black Edition from dabs.
http://www.dabs.ie/products/amd-phenom-ii-x4-960t-3-0gh...

I have found several sites in which users have upgraded to this CPU on the same mobo successfully.
One of which was actually also from this site :) 

Thanks for all the info and I hope anyone looking to upgrade their CPU on an old foxconn a7vmx-k will find this helpful.

I will post one more post after I have received my order and upgraded the CPU to let you know if it worked or not.
January 3, 2012 12:08:05 PM

Here is the promised post, though not for reasons I thought I'd post i.

So, after some search I found that FoxConn has released a BIOS update for my A7VMX-K mobo.

I downloaded the BIOS and trying to flush the mobo I got a rom id error. So I contacted FoxConn. Thye had me run a program called FoxCare and I sent them the results.
They got back to me, stating that the mobo I have is a DIXON OEM version and thus their current BIOS version is different from the normal A7VMX-K from FoxConn.

I just ordered a new mobo for the new CPU and happy days.

What I just don't understand is that how DIXON is able to "make" a mobo which is a A7VMX-K foxconn mobo but yet isn't.

Also, what is a OEM mobo? I thought FoxConn made mine, regardless who sells it on?
January 3, 2012 12:18:41 PM

Just to clarify, the BIOS update (79AF1P12.ROM) contains updates to allow the A7VMX-K to run 95W AM3 CPUs.

This does work on FoxConn produced A7VMX-K mobos. So anyone wanting to upgrade their CPU to a 95W AM3, like the one I posted about previously is able to do so.

This does not however work with the OEM version of the FoxConn A7VMX-K mobo sold to you buy DIXON/PC World.

I's assume this is the case with all mobos you buy through them and the same type of re-sellers.

I also spoke to PC World and they had no answer why this was not a detail mentioned in the documentation of the sold PC nore written anywhere near the advertsed mobo specifications.

I learned it now the hardway and will from now on only buy parts and build my own, even if I end up frying my first few PC :) 
August 22, 2012 3:39:18 AM

The biggest limitation to OEM boards, meaning any motherboard that came in a "name brand" PC will be fitted to OEM specs and come with an OEM bios. I've run into this several times with multiple board and system manufactureres. Usually the board has an alias OEM name and is very close but not quite the same as boards made by the motherboard manufacturer. Normally OEM boards have 0 overclockablility, limited BIOS upgrade options, no motherboard manufacturer support and are limited to "safer" settings. Rarely, but sometimes, you can "upgrade" the bios to the motherboard manufacturer version rather than the PC manufacturer but in this case, like most, you cant.

I just purchased this same board, retail version not OEM, to replace the OEM HP board (Nettel2) in my PC because HP version of my ECS board has a very crippled BIOS and limited CPU support.

Basically, OEMs get a bulk purchase deal on boards from manufacturers because the order lots of them, and they supply their own bios and do their own support for them.
!