virgiliox

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with my first build. I managed to put everything together in the case, but when I press the power button, the CPU led light turns on automatically and there's no signal in my monitor, no beeping noises, nothing. I'm very disappointed with this experience but maybe you guys can help me out :). Here's my build:

1. Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
2. Corsair Force Series 3 120GB (6Gb/s) SATA 3 SF2200 controller Asynchronous SSD (CSSD-F120GB3A-BK)
3. ASUS GTX 660 Ti Series Graphics Card Overclocked Edition Graphics Cards GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5
4. ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
5. Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001
6.Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
7.Thermaltake Power Supply 240-Pin 730 Power Supply SP-730P
8.Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC650DW-1)

I've tried everything I could think of and it just wont boot, everything else in the board seems to be working. If someone can help me, PLEASE.

Solution
Most folks that face a bent pin on the 1155 socket, try to take a fine mechanical pencil and remove the lead. Then try to get the tip of the pencil to straighten the pin. Here's a guy that had a slightly different approach:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1284733/guide-to-fix-bent-on-board-processor-pins-socket-lga-775-1155-etco

You might be able to fix it, if you don't break it off. You need good lighting and magnification, like a magnifier/work light.
This is what they are suppose to look like when OK:
nf1tnt.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming the board isn't defective, it is telling you the CPU has an issue. Take the board out of the case and check that nothing is in the case under the board. Including a misplaced standoff.

With it out (and on an insulated surface) and with just CPU/cooler, 1 stick RAM, connect the PSU and monitor to the board. Short the 2 pins the pwr button connects to. See if it will boot to BIOS.

Check that you have the HS/F cable plugged in properly. Try re-seating the CPU and latch the lever properly. Check for bent pins; sometimes you need to look under magnification to see if any are bent over. Check that the socket isn't damaged; look for cracks.

If all that appears correct, I would be more inclined to think the board is defective than the processor.

Do you have a really really really good friend that will loan you his 1155 CPU for a test?

virgiliox

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I will try these later today and let you know whar happens :) and unfortunately I don't know anyone who can lend me a CPU.

HZA360

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hi virgiliox,

I've had the same problem as you for the past 2 months, and literally just resolved it yesterday. If you do in fact have the same problem as me, then your motherboard is being shorted out.

I notice you have a Corsair case, I myself had the Corsair carbide 300R, which has raised screw holes that are meant to eliminate the need for stand off's, but shorted out my board anyway. You can confirm this by powering up your motherboard outside the case with a DIFFERENT power supply. In my case, the PSU which was attached when I powered on the motherboard would not work again unless I first tried it on a different motherboard.

I spent 2 months first sending back the CPU, then later the motherboard, then the motherboard with the RAM and CPU so they could recreate it there... turned out everything was fine, and found out ages later that my board was being shorted out.

So first try powering your board outside the case with a different PSU, and then (If your brave) reinstall it into the case. If I'm right, you'll have the same problem again.

virgiliox

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna take the motherboard out of the case and try to do that, however, I don't have another power supply to test it on. Did your case come with a built-in PSU? mine didn't, just want to make sure.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Unless you fried your PSU, just take it out of the case and use it. Once you switch it off and unplug it, it should reset itself if it has a problem assuming there's no damage to it. If you don't have a voltmeter handy, get a PSU tester. It will allow you to see all voltages from all connectors, if you feel the PSU is an issue. I wouldn't think it would be, tho.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007539&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=psu%20tester&Page=1&PageSize=20

HZA360

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

I actually shorted out 4 different power supplies before finding the problem.. Two Corsair's: cs600 and a tx650w Modular, an OCZ 550w and my friends generic 500w too.

Just hours ago, I returned the Corsair case and OCZ psu to the seller and got the Coolermaster Silencio with 550w power supply delivered today, so I'll be testing it in a couple hours.

If you really want to hang on to that case, you're going to need washers...Someone suggested using stand off's even if the screw holes are raised, but the problem then is the extra height from the stand off's means the back ports of the board wont match the gap at the back of the case.

I didn't have any washers when I started suspecting the case to be the issue, so I experimented by putting electrical tape over the screw holes and forcing screws through it to test my theory. It worked, the tape provided enough insulation between the case and board so that it did not short. However, a couple days later, it shorted out anyway (still not sure why, maybe the tape tore beneath the screws), and that's how I lost my OCZ PSU.

What's strange is, when I return the PSU back to be tested, the technicians reply that it works fine (Which when I receive it back later, it does). I've heard that after a PSU is shorted out, it can become inactive for up to half an hour, but days later, my PSU was still not working. If you can somehow test your shorted PSU on a different board, I'm willing to bet that it would work. Then you could try setting up your own board outside the case with the PSU and confirm the problem.

Long and complex situation that frustrated me to no end. Trying to save you from that headache.

Let me know how it goes

HZA

HZA360

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

clutchc, you're right, usually in this sort of situation, you can just take the PSU and board out of the case and test them, but in my situation (which hopefully isn't virgiliox' situation...) that didn't work. For some reason, and I really can't imagine why, I think what made my PSU work again was testing it on a different motherboard before trying to use it with my own again.

When I took the motherboard and PSU out of the case and tested them, I had the same result outside the case, as I had inside it, until I tested it on another motherboard.

This was all literally in the past week or so.

virgiliox

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Guys I think I figured out what's wrong. I took the motherboard and PSU out of the case to do the test, then when I was reseating the processor, I saw a bent pin at the bottom, so obviously it didn't work out. No one to blame but myself for this one I guess. Since I'm the one that screwed up, I'm not even gonna worry about returning it and decided to order a new Gigabyte motherboard. Now, before I order the motherboard, will my processor still work? will I need to order anything else besides the MB? Thank you in advance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Most folks that face a bent pin on the 1155 socket, try to take a fine mechanical pencil and remove the lead. Then try to get the tip of the pencil to straighten the pin. Here's a guy that had a slightly different approach:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1284733/guide-to-fix-bent-on-board-processor-pins-socket-lga-775-1155-etco

You might be able to fix it, if you don't break it off. You need good lighting and magnification, like a magnifier/work light.
This is what they are suppose to look like when OK:
nf1tnt.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Solution

virgiliox

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your advice! I decided not to mess around with the pins because I have already given up on that mother board. I ordered this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R21JJK/?tag=pcpapi-20 and should get it tomorrow since I paid overnight shipping. Once again, I really appreciate your input and thank you very much for everything.

virgiliox

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Just wanted to give you guys an update. I'm now happily using my build thanks to the new Gigabyte memory that I received today, I'm glad that my CPU wasn't dead and everything is working perfectly. Once again, thank you guys for all your help. :)