Sign in with
Your question

Chosing Operating System Help!!!!!!!!

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2011 2:03:27 AM

Hello,

I'm looking on building a new computer to be used as a gaming rig. Looking at the operating systems available makes me very confused. I'm not going to buy xp for it doesn't support DX11, however i need some knowledge towards 7 and vista.

1) For a new rig with a first fresh install, should i purchase an oem or retail os?

2) I was looking at vista retail and its a lot cheaper than 7 retail. Is service pack 2 for vista free...if so whats so different from windows 7?

3)If i buy and oem os can i later install a full retail os in the future..if so then how?

Please help me out with these questions and feel free to leave any more additional input!!!
September 29, 2011 2:20:43 AM

Why would you even consider Vista, it's like 6yrs old?

You want Windows 7 64bit (assuming you have a 64bit cpu). It's $80 for the OEM at Newegg.com
September 29, 2011 2:33:01 AM

Forget about Vista, it's not buggy, but there are a lot of annoying things that were fixed in Windows 7.

As for OEM vs Retail, the difference is that OEM is tied to the motherboard, it isn't transferable; if you change MB, you are supposed to get a new license. With a Retail version, you can uninstall it from one PC and install it on another. If you think you might upgrade or change your PC in the next 1-2 years, Retail could be better, otherwise OEM is usually more than enough. Might be worth it to know that Windows 8 will be released next year too...

As for the different versions of Windows 7, most people only need Home Premium, Pro adds support for Virtual PC, joining domains and receive remote desktop connections, Ultimate adds HDD encryption and language pack support.
Related resources
September 29, 2011 4:28:29 AM

All Windoze O/S's are Buggy so the only question is which one will crash your PC today? ;) 
September 29, 2011 7:15:55 AM

Zenthar said:
Forget about Vista, it's not buggy, but there are a lot of annoying things that were fixed in Windows 7.

As for OEM vs Retail, the difference is that OEM is tied to the motherboard, it isn't transferable; if you change MB, you are supposed to get a new license. With a Retail version, you can uninstall it from one PC and install it on another. If you think you might upgrade or change your PC in the next 1-2 years, Retail could be better, otherwise OEM is usually more than enough. Might be worth it to know that Windows 8 will be released next year too...

As for the different versions of Windows 7, most people only need Home Premium, Pro adds support for Virtual PC, joining domains and receive remote desktop connections, Ultimate adds HDD encryption and language pack support.

What if your mobo breaks and you get a replacement? Are you supposed to get another oem copy?
September 29, 2011 7:24:54 AM

gaminglappy said:
Hello,

I'm looking on building a new computer to be used as a gaming rig. Looking at the operating systems available makes me very confused. I'm not going to buy xp for it doesn't support DX11, however i need some knowledge towards 7 and vista.

1) For a new rig with a first fresh install, should i purchase an oem or retail os?

2) I was looking at vista retail and its a lot cheaper than 7 retail. Is service pack 2 for vista free...if so whats so different from windows 7?

3)If i buy and oem os can i later install a full retail os in the future..if so then how?

Please help me out with these questions and feel free to leave any more additional input!!!

Wait, as per my knowledge, even Vista doesn't support Dx11.
If you want it, go for Windows 7 only...
September 29, 2011 8:03:44 AM

I would say go for Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It is the best version for home users and gaming. Pro and Ultimate is more for business.
September 29, 2011 8:54:29 AM

Yes, and Windows 7 Ultimate would be costly too..!!
September 29, 2011 10:20:45 AM

Sky03 said:
What if your mobo breaks and you get a replacement? Are you supposed to get another oem copy?
That is the "loophole"; many people said that if you call Microsoft and tell them just that (your MB broke and had to change it), they will give you another activation key so you are "safe" on that front, but you will have to call Microsoft (if you get the same motherboard model, you might not need to reactivate, not sure). If you pretend it broke so you can upgrade, it will probably work too, but it is against the EULA.
September 29, 2011 10:25:10 AM

Chirag Borawake said:
Wait, as per my knowledge, even Vista doesn't support Dx11.
If you want it, go for Windows 7 only...
Vista came with DX10, but I think it is upgradable to DX11. However, Vista's UAC was so annoying that this alone is a reason I would never go back to it.
September 29, 2011 11:23:13 AM

you could also get linux
September 29, 2011 12:39:53 PM

9_breaker said:
you could also get linux
For any kind of "serious gaming" Linux is not the best option.
September 29, 2011 1:28:49 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 for sure!
It's practically designed for gaming, easily the most widespread gaming OS and Steams hardware surveys confirm that with 41% using Windows 7 64bit followed by Windows XP 32bit @ only 18%

Vista isn't as bad as people make it out to be, has the DirectX10/11 support but has many bugs and problems that Windows 7 has stamped out

XP is better on systems with 1GB ram or less but lacks DirectX10/11 ability and looks fairly retro.

Linux is a great OS for the advanced user, very low requirements using certain distro's but lets face it, the learning curb is ridiculous and gaming compatibility knocks this OS out of the decision.
September 29, 2011 5:17:34 PM

beenthere said:
All Windoze O/S's are Buggy so the only question is which one will crash your PC today? ;) 

I guess if your a noob and have no idea what your doing, then yeah. I have Vista, I cant remember the last time my PC crashed, maybe years.

In fact I've had every version of windows since windows 95 (except 7)and Vista is by far the best one I've ever had, no doubt.
September 29, 2011 5:19:35 PM

If you replace your motherboard it's no big deal with a OEM version.

I installed it on 3 different mobo's before I got the prompt to call MIcrosoft. I didn't have to lie or make up crap, I didn't even have to talk to anybody. I just called the number on the screen, got my code, and that was it. 2 minutes.
September 29, 2011 5:27:29 PM

Zenthar said:

If casual/indie is the OP's thing, he should be fine.

Linux game support is definately up! :) 
September 29, 2011 7:02:05 PM

geekapproved said:
I guess if your a noob and have no idea what your doing, then yeah. I have Vista, I cant remember the last time my PC crashed, maybe years.

In fact I've had every version of windows since windows 95 (except 7)and Vista is by far the best one I've ever had, no doubt.

Not even CLOSE to being a noob... ;)  I was using DOS before Dollar Bill Gates built his illegal empire with Windoze. By Microsuck's own admission each version of Windoze has tens of thousands of Bugs due to defectively written code. I do not care what O/S people use, I was just making a joke because all Windoze O/Ss are Buggy yet people continue to buy them and that is why Microsucks continues to reap fortunes from selling defective goods.

You must be a youngin' if your first taste of Windoze is Win 95. :D 
September 29, 2011 7:19:01 PM

beenthere said:
Not even CLOSE to being a noob... ;)  I was using DOS before Dollar Bill Gates built his illegal empire with Windoze. By Microsuck's own admission each version of Windoze has tens of thousands of Bugs due to defectively written code. I do not care what O/S people use, I was just making a joke because all Windoze O/Ss are Buggy yet people continue to buy them and that is why Microsucks continues to reap fortunes from selling defective goods.

Meh, I had linux boxes self-destruct with yum updates as well, but I do pray for a day I wouldn't need Windows anymore, I like the extra control linux gives and the much more powerful CLI.
September 29, 2011 7:28:42 PM

Anyone can write bad code... it doesn't take much effort. Linux has potential but it's not user friendly, it's a geek's O/S. That's why Microsucks has succeeded with crap once they had an installed base.
September 29, 2011 7:39:23 PM

beenthere said:
Anyone can write bad code... it doesn't take much effort. Linux has potential but it's not user friendly, it's a geek's O/S. That's why Microsucks has succeeded with crap once they had an installed base.

OK I we it you don't like MS. How are you helping the guy select an os for mainly gaming. Your not you are fanboy of Linux. :pfff:  Go with win7 64 you will be happy.
September 29, 2011 8:23:04 PM

As I stated I don't care what O/S people use. Many people prefer XP over all Microsucks O/S's. It just depends on your needs and POV.
September 30, 2011 8:42:01 AM

Zenthar said:

you just have to know how to use it.
you could use cadega to play games and it still uses direct x.
September 30, 2011 9:51:24 AM

But it would lagg.

Lagg beyond any scale.

Do it the easy way. Get Windows.
September 30, 2011 12:52:05 PM

amdfangirl said:
But it would lagg.

Lagg beyond any scale.

Do it the easy way. Get Windows.

explain how
September 30, 2011 2:44:08 PM

It's not software you would call well optimised if it fails to run most games.

http://www.cedega.com/gamesdb/games/alphabrowse.mhtml?l...

For example, the lack of support extends so far that it cannot play ancient games.

I have no idea why it laggs, but I have tested a signifigant drop in fps, Windows 7 64bit vs. Linux in games like Team Fortress 2. Only got 1/2 or 1/3 of my framerate. Granted, it was still playable.

I can only make assumptions.

From what I gather it supports up to Direct X 9 and Shader Model 2.0.

But this is from Wikipedia.

GIven you have to pay for this software on a subscription basis, why not Windows?
September 30, 2011 4:35:50 PM

beenthere said:

If you consider 40 a youngin', then yes I am.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I never said my first taste of Windows was 95. I said "I have owned every version since 1995".

I used DOS for many years too.

I guess if you aren't knowledgeable enough, you would have all the problems your referring to. But I don't.

Like I said, I have no bugs, no issues with crashing. Can't remember the last crash I had.

Maybe your lack of use is your reason for your issues.

Sorry some hater ruined your post OP, there's always one in every thread.
October 1, 2011 3:30:15 AM

I was only around during Windows 98 SE :p ...

That's early for my age group.
October 12, 2011 1:19:21 PM

Greetings! i feel the need to echo all the people here. forget about vista. Its annyoing and buggy. if you want the best go with windows 7. Windows 7 is a lot less secure than vista, but 7 is so much faster and allows you (in most cases) to do everything you need to do. Now you said you wanted a gaming rig so i have some ideas for you. i dont know what your buget is but if you want the best heres my thoght: Go with a Nevia Geforce 5800 Graphics card. it will run you 600$ but the graphic on it are amazing. it makes minecraft look good! (true story) i would also reccommend having at least 5 gigs of RAM. i hope this helped.
October 12, 2011 7:40:06 PM

Please do not respond to old threads.
!