2600k or 3820 for gaming & movies simultaneously

oldkid

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Guys, could very much appreciate some help here please.
What i want to achieve (amd x3 720 & ati 5870 1gb struggling here) is to run games in the primary screen (rpg's only) which is on a hdmi matrix, while the secondary (connected straight via hdmi) can be used for watching movies.
Would the internal gpu of the 2600k combined with a z68 take over the movie and leave the cores together with the 5870 to handle gaming?
Or the 3820 has something that i'm missing and would be my best choice? Or even worse, am i asking too much?
For multiseating the same answer stands?
If it matters, in general i'm not a fan of upgrading only cpu's, so i won't go the lga2011 way to upgrade it later and since allready have 16gb ddr3, i would prefer to stay away from any more motherboard upgrades until ddr4 comes to reasonable prices.

And one more thing if you know. Is there a way to view my secondary screen in a window in my primary? Or any way to get control of the secondary?
Thanks for your time.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If you're talking about WoW, I can tell you that it locks multi-monitor setups in fullscreen. In windowed mode you have some leeway but it's a very poor experience (at least with a single 5870). As far as i can tell this is more a limitation of WoW and less the 5870 because other games (civ5, Shogun both way more intensive than WoW) seem to handle it just fine.

You could look up TH2Go which if I recall when I was trying to figure out a workaround for this precise scenario it seems like people had success going that route. Personally I've never tried it, and I could very well be mistaken overall as it's been a couple years since I looked into it.

I have no clue about the 2600k ondie gpu, and LGA2011 doesn't have integrated graphics.

oldkid

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Nothing fancy, games like gothic, risen, elder, witcher, kotor, etc. No online gaming, no first shooters.
From what i see and if i understand correctly, the matrox is of no use to me, since primary and secondary screens are twenty meters away from each other.
Thanks. :)