New MOBO/RAM problem

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi, two days ago I upgraded cpu, mobo, ram and psu on my pc. The problem is, I can´t reinstall windows because of constant reboots and BSODs. I decided to do a test with MemTest, and turns out it throws thousands of errors! I tried with both the ram modules, separately and in different sockets. All with the same result. I called my provider for memory RMA, but then I thought that getting both bad rams at the same time was TOO unlikely, so I think it must be something else, like the motherboard. I checked the BIOS and it is running the correct settings for the memos. I also checked my MOBO memory support list, and it shows the exact model of my memory. I´m very confused. I´ll try to change the memories tomorrow but I don´t think It´ll solve the issue. Getting 2 memories, and both being faulty? Sounds weird. I hope someone could help me. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
RAM: 2x AMD 4gb DDR3 1600MHz Entertainment Edition AE34G1609U2-U
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 600w.

Q - Who's the 'They tested'?
Q - Have you tried to Clear CMOS?

The RAM should be installed as follows: CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB |

If you can boot into the BIOS then chances are the it's not the MOBO.

To properly 'Clear CMOS' unplug the PSU for 5 minutes, then using a e.g. flat head screw driver short the (2) CMOS terminals for 5+ seconds (see page 32 - 16) CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper)), then plug the PSU back in and boot directly to the BIOS and Press (F7) Load Oprimized Defaults and Press (F10) Save & Exit = 'Yes' to complete the process.
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Q - If the PC fails to boot then what does the 'Debug LED' show?
Note pages 113-116 of your manual for the codes.

Q - What OS?

Q - By 're-install' do you mean that you want to reformat and start from scratch?

--

Re-install OS:

Installing: Press F8 and Boot from USB or DVD, select 'Install now ->'
A. Select Custom (Advanced)
B. Delete any partitions, and reformat
C. Install Windows
D. Finish Windows installation

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
A- the ram/mobo provider
A- no
A- it always boots
A- win 7 x86
A-yes. I already formatted but it wont let me install win 7 again because of BSODs of different kinds when booting from the install disk.

Then try a Clear CMOS as I posted above, often changing/moving components can cause a BIOS corruption.

Just in case your copy of Windows 7 is corrupt or some odd form of OEM (locked down) I'd download and create a USB Flash Drive Installer.

1* Choose your version of Windows 7 from here -> http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html
note: these are (.ISO) images which need to be extracted; 7-Zip is a good application to use; download - http://www.7-zip.org/

2* Creating a Windows 7 USB Flash Drive installer -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSVVPbzIno

3* Follow my instructions above 'Re-install OS:"

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
That motherboard was only booted using that same ram. I never changed any components since i bought the parts i mentioned on the first post. Anyway, I´d have to wait since I left the memories for testing (Even though the errors weren´t caused by the ram because they told me Memtest didn´t throw any errors within the first 10 minutes of testing, like on my pc did). Regarding the win 7 install, I tried to install windows the same way you suggested. I downloaded the official ISO image and created a bootable USB drive :)

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I think I screwed up. My PSU has 2 cables with 4 pin cpu power connectors each. A moment ago I was checking the motherboard for burned capacitors and such, and I notice I plugged the thing pretty bad... A 4 pin cable was correctly placed, but the other one was plugged half in half out, leaving 2 pin unused. Could that be the source of these problems? More importantly, could that damage my CPU?

Assuming a CM Silent Pro M600 - http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=4199
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4153#ov

The PSU's CPU power is an 8-pin (4+4 pin connector) and the GA-Z77X-UD3H uses an 8-pin. Now if you used the correct 4+4 (8-pin) CPU power and it had (2) bad pins then it won't damage either your CPU or MOBO; though it may or may not boot/post.

CPU power 8-pin (4+4 pin connector):
SilentProM600-5.jpg

Can 'bad' power to the CPU cause memory errors - sure it's possible - probable not so much if the CPU isn't starved for power. Ideally, you want everything installed properly to reduce the 'other' causes out of the 'equation.' Additionally, improper installation of either the: HSF, CPU, MOBO including grounding problems can contribute to failures.

The problem is in these forums is assuming the OP installed everything properly and without unforeseen building errors.

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Don´t worry about it. I plugged it correctly and it´s doing the same thing. I think I hit the Memtest Error WR: 300000 errors in the first minute. My provider tested both ram modules for the whole weekend: zero errors. I can´t even install Windows because of restarts and BSODs. I even tried with x87 and x64 official ISO images of Win 7, no difference. I´ll RMA the motherboard tomorrow, hope that´s the problem...

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I just called my provider. They say the motherboard its perfectly fine. What should I do? Maybe they are scamming me? I don't know how to handle this. Can a damaged CPU throw that many errors in memtest?

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Like I said before, I tested the memories one stick at a time, same results. I also sent them to my provider for testing, they tested them for a whole weekend and they didn't throw a single error (like I said before, too).

Ideally, I won't be using AMD optimized RAM nor a non-Kit 1x4GB into my Intel based system. It is VERY rare that the CPU is the root to memory errors. It's either going to be the RAM or once in a blue moon the MOBO.

If CPU-z 'SPD' tab offers 'XMP-1600' then the following; CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html My best guess is there's no XMP and on the Memory tab your DRAM Frequency = approx 667MHz (2*667MHz = DDR3-1333) not the Rated DDR3-1600.

The BIOS tweaks I would try:
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile 1
/DRAM Voltage Control
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v ; +0.05v
Save & Exit = Yes

Then see what happens.

Ideally, I'd use an XMP RAM kit like Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I can´t find a "Extreme memory profile" setting on my BIOS, even though I updated it to its latest version. It should appear on "Advanced memory settings" like it´s shown on this image : http://gskill.com/marketing/XMP-Z77/Gigabyte/120427113809.jpg. Why would that happen? Also, in CPU-Z, the D-RAM Frequency is at 800.9 Mhz and the SPD tab is not showing anything at all (all the text boxes are blank). Also, increasing the voltage to anything more than 1.5V could damage my CPU (As I was told, at least).

This is the correct place, and look at what I stated above; e.g. Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile 1

If needed add:
/DRAM Voltage Control
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v ; +0.05v

120427113809.jpg

Knowing CPU-z, DDR3 = Double Data Rate Revision 3, so DRAM Frequency of 800MHz * 2 = DDR3-1600.

My CPU-z and my RAM is indeed running at DDR3-1600:
CPU-z-RAM-CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G.jpg

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Umm... I just said that there is no "Extreme memory profile" option on my bios... Maybe because my RAM doesn´t support it? Should I try to up the voltage, even if it might cause cpu damage?

Possibly your doesn't offer an XMP setting; in the example above note the 'XMP-1600' in the right most column under the 'SPD' tab in CPU-z -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Q - What's listed for your RAM in the right most column under 'SPD'??

/Edit: Hmm...yeah just remembered, you for some reason purchased AMD RAM -- Entertainment Edition AE34G1609U2-U

Still what's in the right most column?

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I just said that there´s nothing showing on the SPD tab on any text box. Maybe because I´m booting with Hiren´s Boot CD on Mini-xp (I can´t boot from my hdd because of BSODs). You should take a little more time at reading my posts...

Edit: As for the AMD thing, the memory was tested and confirmed that it WORKS ON BOTH INTEL AND AMD platforms, adding the fact that the same ram model is compatible to my motherboard, according to the gigabyte website. So don´t take it from there.

Listen your posts started on 10/19 and now it's 11/3 or 15 days! There's no way I can remember your post or reread it every 3-4 days.

Manual:

Lets assume DDR3-1600 9-9-9-27-2N @ 1.50v ; I'm assuming the '27' only

BIOS:
Load Optimized Defaults
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
System Memory Multiplier -> 16
DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
Channel A/B Timing Settings / Enter
CAS Latency Time -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 27
-
Command Rate (CMD) -> 2
-
/DRAM Voltage Control
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.50v~1.55v ; +0.05v can help instability
QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.20v

Save & Exit = Yes

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I can´t find the QPI/Vtt voltage setting. Where is it? And what do you have to say about upping the ram voltage above 1.5v on sandy bridge CPUs?

Edit: Tried that setting except that QPI/Vtt voltage which I can´t find it: Still throwing errors...

MatiasMGS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I just read that my CPU is supposed to handle up to ddr3-1333 ram. Mine runs at 1600mhz. Could that be the problem? Should I decrease the frequency? How should I proceed?