Sign in with
Your question

Gaming build from RAM + CPU

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2012 4:42:38 AM

Hi everyone. I've got an intel QX6700 CPU and 4 x 2 x 1 GB of DDR2 RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) laying around and was thinking of building a gaming system. It'd be my first build and I'd be interested in any suggestions. Specifically, is it worth keeping the RAM or should I buy new sticks? What mother board would be good for this RAM and would have a socket compatible with the CPU? Was hoping to keep the budget for the rest of the components (case, GPU, mother board, power supply ...) around $600 or so.
thanks!

More about : gaming build ram cpu

October 19, 2012 5:06:27 AM

first_pc_build said:
Hi everyone. I've got an intel QX6700 CPU and 4 x 2 x 1 GB of DDR2 RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) laying around and was thinking of building a gaming system. It'd be my first build and I'd be interested in any suggestions. Specifically, is it worth keeping the RAM or should I buy new sticks? What mother board would be good for this RAM and would have a socket compatible with the CPU? Was hoping to keep the budget for the rest of the components (case, GPU, mother board, power supply ...) around $600 or so.
thanks!

Best advice - don't bother with that, you're just wasting money.

Best save a bit more and get yourself a new up-to-date system. An i5 3570k with HD7870 should cost you in the region between $800 - $900

[EDIT] You can use the QX6700 and some spares to create a media server or web server, but not worth spending cash for gaming system
m
l
October 19, 2012 4:01:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just curious, do you think the QX6700 isn't up for gaming or is it that motherboards that will take the processor wont take modern GPUs ?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 4:26:08 PM

It could handle some games, the MOBO is a more likely problem, most of the stuff you would buy for this PC would not be usable in a future system. DDR2 is quite expensive in comparison to DDR3 because it is no longer the standard, you won't be able to put any newer processors in the MOBO you need, you can build a full, decent, and more modern PC for your 600 bucks.
m
l
October 19, 2012 5:22:53 PM

Thanks to you both. New plan. Start from scratch with modern components and keep the old CPU and RAM in storage and maybe pair it with stuff I find for free or dirt cheap. Feels a little better starting from a clean slate actually.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 6:42:08 PM

Right-o, you could also take a look and see what they are going for on ebay and such, sometimes certain outdated equipment becomes rare and quite desirable for those who want it, so you might be surprised what you could get out of them. Some DDR2 RAM goes for about the same price as an equivalent sized DDR3 set.
m
l
October 19, 2012 8:29:34 PM

I would say sell it!

And then get newer stuff instead.
If you have $600 dollars + whatever the stuff sells for, take a look here.
This is my opinion, you can probably make a great AMD build as well:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kNJs

Comments on the build:

You can play a lot of games with this build.
CPU:" Those Pentiums performs really good. This is the 2.9 Ghz, I have the 2.6 Ghz and it plays all the games I need.
RAM: 8 GB memory is enough for gaming and these are fine RAM.
Mobo: I took an mATX cause its cheaper and the B75 chipset, so you get the new SATA600 and USB3 upgrade options.
Storage: I would always suggest an SSD. You have the change to really HIGH SPEED SATA600 standards with this build, but if you never had an SSD, you will love the speed just for the really cheap one I picked. I only picked it because its really really cheap. You can always an an extra Storage drive as well.
GPU: I found the PowerColor HD7850 2 GB which should be running games good. I has a good change for OC, so you can get more power.
PSU: Well the 600 Watt OCZ is pretty overkill, but its a damn good deal and it is modular, so you can have less cables in your case.
Case: Pretty basic case from Fractal Design - I like it, but you can always change it.
Optical Drive: Just the cheapest. They are almost all the same.

Price: $430

You still have change to upgrade different things, if people have better suggestions or you have room for mouse, keyboard, monitor etc.
m
l
!