Is my card going bad?

sbaker566

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
I have had my HD5770 1gb for almost a year now and until recently I could play for hours without any issues, however recently I started up deadspace having not played it for a long time, and 3 minutes into the game my computer crashed and my monitor lost signal for some reason so I kept it on window mode next time and watched the temperature, and it stayed under 75c with no crashes, then playing l4d2 I had the same problem of it crashing, and then on fear 3 so I decided to watch the temp again, and this time it climbed nearly 2c every 3 seconds getting up to 90c within 5 minutes and then crashing.

When the problem first started I blew all the dust out of the computer, pulled the card and blasted the dust out, and i noticed the fan seemed a little stiff. So do I need a new card, is my PSU going bad and some how contributing to the rapid heat build?

My specs are a i5 3.20ghz, 8gb ram 500watt PSU

sbaker566

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

I set the fan to 100% before ever starting the game, it doesn't seem as loud as it used to though, air flow it decent, however I used to be able to play deadspace for 5 hours without any issues. Now it climbs to 90+ and crashes in 5 minutes

sbaker566

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
So something is REALLY screwed up, sometimes the drivers glitch up when playing windowed mode, and run at the idle speeds during a game, this was happening when it didn't crash, yet removing side of the case, setting the fan on max. and the bumping the case which caused the fan to speed up and run as fast as it used to, starting any game caused the temp to jump up to 85c and then crash. I don't know if the card is just shot, the PSU is going bad, and the increased power draw from the card is doing it somehow, or the whole mobo is messed up, but something is weird.

phoenix061992

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Just try your card out in some other machine which has a 500 watt or more PSU. I think in this way you'l find out whether its ur PSU or the card itself wich is going bad. By the way your PSU is of which brand????