Cd-rom shows no disk when inserted

touk2

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hello,
When I put a movie dvd in the cd-rom it doesn't show anything. It's as if there's nothing in it. I don't get an error or any message. I've tried several disc and they're the same.It will read cds though. It won't even read dvd's that I've made myself. I use dvd-r and that's what my cd-rom reads. Thanks, I hope you can help me.

Sometimes drive use different lasers for dvd vs. cdrom. Try blowing the drive out with a blast of compressed air (there may be dirt blocking the lens). A can of compress air is $5 at any office supply store.

If drive is still not right, the lets verify that the drive is not seeing the DVD (and not that the program associated with playing dvds got lost). Put a DVD in. CLick on my computer to open it. find and right click the dvd drive. Click Open in the DVD drive menu. what happen?

If the DVD drive is bad you are still OK. DVD drives are really cheap and are standard and easy to replace. (a few screw and two plugs that only fit one way)

You'll need to know if it's and ITE or SATA drive. Post if you don't know how to figure out -- or jsut look in device manager for your optical drive and google the model number.

A new internal sata DVD burner is $20 plus shipping at newegg. A sata blu-ray burner (which would also be a drop-in replace for your DVD drive) is $100 also at the egg.