FPS problems

Csears20

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hey, I've been running my system for about a year now. I'm not saying this is the best system or a top performer, but my PC has problems running WoW and other titles at lower fps than my friend who still runs his gtx260 and AMD 555.

My system specs are:

AMD 955BE OC'd to 3.4ghz
XFX Radeon 5770
G.Skill Ripjaw 4gb 1600mhz ram
1tb Hitatchi HD
500w Corsair power supply

Mobo: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/Usb3 890GX

Everything us regularly updated and I still have my FPS flex around 50-60fps on High settings of games that should normally be a breeze on ultra. There is times where my fps drop to the mid 20s in bigger areas such as in WoW. I really don't think my CPU is bogging down but if I'm wrong please correct me. If there's somethings I could replace, I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks, Charles

Csears20

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

---- I just downloaded the latest update for my network card and still the same. And as far as games go, it's decent when I play Dragon Age 2 but I have to compare once again to my friends 260GTX who ran it a little better than my 5770.
---- I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor off your link and everything came out about normal. My CPU is a bit high 68*c and my GPU is at 52*c with WoW running in the background. The highest I have seen my GPU is around 68*c but it wasn't running any worse than now. Any other thoughts?

P.S. sorry it took me soo long to get back, my work schedule is pretty crazy at times.

Csears20

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

Both of us both play at 1920x1080. We both play thru DVI. My screen is a HDTV monitor and his is just a regular LCD computer monitor. I don't think that would make any difference but shoot me down if I'm wrong.

Csears20

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

Forgot to put my internet connections...as again I do have WoW running in the background lol. I'm running at download speeds of 38.88mbps and he is at 9.6mbps according to http://speedtest.cfl.rr.com/

Okay, first of all, you need to know that a HD 5770 is a bit slower than a GTX 260.
68*C on that CPU seems a bit hot. Check if the CPU fan's got any sorts of dust piled up or if it's loosely fitted.
The temperature may explain your slow down. Also, what's the temps of your friend's CPU ? :)

Csears20

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

Alright, I'll clean it up. Hopefully soon I'll save up for a better power supply. Another reason I think it gets soo hot is because my fan blows upward into my video card, which could help a bit. Thanks for everything.

You also might have another big difference, one that didn't occur to mention.

A 260 is a DX10 card, a 5770 is a DX11 card. In WoW, you will be playing in DX11 with the new features and advanced visuals, he's going to be using the DX9 version, which may be easier on the card.

Also realize that you are comparing a card in WoW, which in the past has favored Nvidia cards by quite a bit. Although the DX11 version seems to have made them a bit more even.