Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmaro99

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello! I am having some PC issues that I was hoping you all could help me solve. Here are my PC specs (if you need any other info please let me know)..

Dell Studio 540
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
8.00 GB RAM Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
ACPI x64 based

PSU: LiteOn Model # PS-6351-2 350W

BIOS:
DELL, INC
VERSION: 1.0.6
11/03/2008

I purchased this pile a couple of years ago. In the past year the GPU began giving me lots of issues. It worked intermittently for a while but eventually crashed my computer, and I could no longer start up without blue screens. I tried for a while to fix it but eventually I decided to bake it in the oven via some instructions I found on the internets. Didn't sound smart but I had nothing to lose. It actually worked fine for a few months after the baking before crapping out again. Around the time it crapped out the second time, my computer also stopped powering up. I found that by unplugging everything and trying it would sometimes work. I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the RAM for some reason based on other internet answers and that didn't seem to help. In case you haven't guessed I am not a computer guru by any means. At this point the PC is on but I can't turn it off for fear that it won't start up again. Also the way I made it work graphically was going into safe mode and disabling the GPU.

If you read all that then thank you. I have about $250 to spend to get this puppy going again if possible. Here are the parts I found based solely on research that may be outdated or plain wrong (interwebs). Stick with me, the questions themselves are coming..

New Case (Antec 300) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

New PSU (XFX PRO550W) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

New GPU (MSI Radeon HD6850 Cyclone) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127576

Questions time!

1. Is there anything else you would try to fix my PC before buying these?

2. Are all of these parts necessary (ie can I fit the new PSU in my old case or should I just get the new one)? Any areas I can cut costs are a-ok with me.

3. Are the parts listed going to fit my PC, and will I be able to swap all the parts into the new case by following instructions on the internets? I pride myself on my internet instruction following abilities but any tips would be appreciated.

4. Are the parts actually any good or do you have another suggestion in the price range?

Any answers to these or any helpful hints are greatly appreciated!

blackmaro99

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply!

There won't be any issues moving the stuff in the Studio 540 over to the new case will there? Dell said to stick with buying parts through them as expected.

blackmaro99

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

If it will fit I might skip buying it.

My thinking though was that the poor cooling of this case might have been one of the causes of my GPU and PSU failing. There is only one fan on the back and it is always blowing hot air.

Your statement "I decided to bake it in the oven via some instructions I found on the internets." means that you found out that there was a known problem with that particular GPU model on that graphics card. The problem wasn't caused by insufficient case cooling.

There should be two fans on the back. One is the case fan and the other one is in the power supply unit.

images

blackmaro99

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

Yes the power supply has a fan as well..

As for the GPU, I simply found instructions online about how to bring my dead GPU back to life by baking it. I am unaware of what factors contributed to it's death. After all, "I am not a computer guru by any means" as stated above.

I will take your advice and hold off on the case for now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.