Some questions about the new design, search function, URL redirect etc

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
A few things about the new forums are pissing me off.

1. I cannot find any of my posts prior to the change to the new style. But I can find all my posts since.

2. There is no forums search function. When I type my ID into the search field at the top of the page, I get a bunch of news and suggested related searches that are the farthest thing from related. I had to reset my BIOS after my computer wouldn't start after cleaning the inside and I lost my overclocking numbers. They were in my sig here on Tom's from 2007, but I can't find my old posts. I wrote them down on a piece of paper, but I lost that, too. I can't get stable at my old FSB speed, so my only hope is to find an old thread with my sig. I must be losing my mind because I swear this site has a forums search function, but it isn't on the main forums page.

3. I was an enthusiast not so long ago. Now I'm a youngster?

4. I have always used tomshardware.com, but the new site refuses to accept that I want to use tomshardware.com and always directs me to tomshardware.co.uk. I click on United States as my country when I type the Tomshardware URL in. It comes up with a choose country box, I choose USA, then everything is .com. I then click on forums to get an overview of all the categories, still .com. I click on one of the categories and BOOM, now I'm at .co.uk. What gives? In posting this message, it wanted me to post on .co.uk, but after going through the site from the main page to this a few times, now it's .com again. I'm really confused. It wouldn't be an issue, but it seems to make a difference in what sort of threads I see.

If you have any tips on making this work or how to find the search, please let me know. Thank you.

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

As for the forum search function, once you do a search (using the search box at the top of every page), you should notice on the left side a set of "Filters" that will let you filter by forum. That will eliminate all the non-forum related entries.

The reason your rank nomenclature changed was because we decided to give a different set of names to all the different ranks. Your posts number shouldn't have changed during the switch over. The old system had way too many different ranking names (over 20 different levels I believe), this will make it much cleaner.

Finally, traffic from anywhere in Europe is always redirected to the co.uk site. This is just the way it works. There is no way around it. The co.uk site does have all the same content, so you aren't missing anything.

Justin