Video Editing & SS2...

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

Got a new family video camera this year that only does HD. My old AMD (2004) can't handle it and I think it may be time to upgrade. Adobe Premier Elements requirements need SSE2 and it won't even load without it so I need a processor that has the multimedia at least SSE2. I don't have Elements as the demo won't even install on my computer. I do have Nero & Video Studio and when trying to edit a MTS file it just dies.

Been looking at some of the AMD Phenoms and their newer FX chips. The Phenoms have SSE back to the first one and up to SSE4 I believe. The FX chips start at SSE3 with no mention of previous version ie SSE2. The FX chips are more affordable and more current as well. I'm not looking for the latest & greatest, more in the $100 chip range. I don't do this all day for a living but do edit things a few times a month at least.

Will chips with SSE3 be backward compatable with SSE2 and earlier?

Any recommendations would be great as would comments.

Thanks

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
SSE2/3??? Not sure what you mean by that however, for AMD's new chip range you'll need their new motherboards which cost: £170 for the AM3+ Chip which is what the new FX series need (A.k.A Bulldozer)

HOWEVER after a little research:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3
There is a list of CPU's that support SSE3, you'll have to find out which chip your motherboard can take or post here what your motherboard is :) And ill help you further OR, the most expensive you can afford the better it'll be :)

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Question solved. I found a picture of CPU-Z for the AMD FX chips and they show support for SSE thru SSE4A. AMD's spec just didn't show all of it and only showed SSE3-SSE4A.

Looks like the Phenom II X4's have much better performance than the FX chips, at least at the lower price ranges. Too bad most of them for sale are the discontinued ones ie. 925 & 960T. Maybe that doesn't matter.

Thanks for the replies.

TRENDING THREADS