Sign in with
Your question

Budget Entry-Lvl Gamer

Last response: in Components
December 30, 2011 6:22:51 PM

I am currently looking to build a pair of desktops for my friend and his son. They are mainly going to be playing World of Warcraft at this point but want to be able to play newer games at a decent frame rate if not great resolution and settings.

I am currently planning on using.

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard (have seen nothing really good or bad about this board)
AMD PHENOM II X4 840 Boxed Processor (I know it has no lvl 3 cache but does have reasonable overclocking and 4 real cores planning on stock heat sink)
Diamond 6750PE51GSB AMD Radeon HD 6750 1024MB GDDR5 (went with the GDDR5 for faster response time at a small price premium)
MicroCenter 8GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 Desktop Memory (went with a no name brand with good reviews and no paid forum shrills)
Diablotek Elite Mid Tower ATX Computer Case
Maxtor 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" 7,200RPM (not the fastest hard drive but we are on a budget and the half Terra should be enough space.)
Eagle Tech Voltas X 500 Watt ATX Power Supply that I am worried about honestly as being underpowered for the system.
Inland All-in-1 USB 2.0 Portable Media Card Reader
LG 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support

including keyboard, mouse, speakers, USB headset, fans and cables. Total cost $438.

Any suggestions or great leads for parts would be appreciated.

More about : budget entry lvl gamer

December 30, 2011 7:10:40 PM

Under NO circumstances should you buy a "no name" PSU. For ~$50 you should look at Antec, OCZ, and Corsair around 500 Watts.
Also, you might need a DVD burner/reader and an OS sch as Windows 7 Home Premium, $100
December 30, 2011 7:19:21 PM

I have included an optical drive in build forgot to add it (actually got missed in copy and paste.)
An OS is planned and included in the $438 (legit versions of windows pro though the licenses are being a tiny bit stretched so I don't really want to go into detail.)
I am pretty hard on the $500 budget so am pretty limited on choices. Will take a look at the power supplies.
Why not use budget and case included power supplies? In past usage with things that I have built for various builds I haven't had a problem with them as long as the power coming in was fairly clean and regular.

Aren't they liable if junk voltages and surges as a result of the power-supply fry your components?

Thank you for your response.
Related resources
December 31, 2011 12:02:16 AM

Theyre also going to need plenty of food and refreshments because theyll be on them for a while with that setup. Im new and I dont know much so reading your post just answered my own post of just a sec ago, well gave me a better idea of what to look for. thanks!
December 31, 2011 4:33:34 AM

Maxor1 said:
I am currently looking to build a pair of desktops for my friend and his son. They are mainly going to be playing World of Warcraft at this point but want to be able to play newer games at a decent frame rate if not great resolution and settings.

I am currently planning on using.

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard (have seen nothing really good or bad about this board)
AMD PHENOM II X4 840 Boxed Processor (I know it has no lvl 3 cache but does have reasonable overclocking and 4 real cores planning on stock heat sink)
Diamond 6750PE51GSB AMD Radeon HD 6750 1024MB GDDR5 (went with the GDDR5 for faster response time at a small price premium)
MicroCenter 8GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 Desktop Memory (went with a no name brand with good reviews and no paid forum shrills)
Diablotek Elite Mid Tower ATX Computer Case
Maxtor 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" 7,200RPM (not the fastest hard drive but we are on a budget and the half Terra should be enough space.)
Eagle Tech Voltas X 500 Watt ATX Power Supply that I am worried about honestly as being underpowered for the system.
Inland All-in-1 USB 2.0 Portable Media Card Reader
LG 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support

including keyboard, mouse, speakers, USB headset, fans and cables. Total cost $438.

Any suggestions or great leads for parts would be appreciated.

:sol:  :sol:  :sol: 

u can buy this for psu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cooler-Master-Elite-Power-R...

it had a review too.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...

it is just a reliable basic psu. but if that rig is playing high end games u need to change with best psu

like from corsair,antec, and seasonic.etc and dont forget xfx present they have best bang for buck psus.
!