Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What do you guys think of this build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 29, 2011 7:52:01 AM

Hi all,

I just got back from deployment and am building myself a new computer to play all the games that I have missed out on. My budget for this computer is $2000 but I don't really see a reason to even spend that much haha. Im going to be running the games at 1920 x 1200 resolution and I plan to play just about evrything :D  Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions!

NOTE: I didn't include a storage drive and a disc drive because I am going to reuse the ones from my old computer.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz 314.99
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE $214.99
EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) $489.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 $159.99
OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SATA II MLC SSD $189.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $117.99
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850 PSU $119.99

Total Cost: $1608

More about : guys build

September 29, 2011 8:20:11 AM

If it is only for gaming I would suggest the following.

Drop the CPU to i5 2500K - The i7 does not have that much advantage in games.
Drop to 8GB of RAM - In gaming you will never utilize even close to 16 GB of RAM.
Up the PSU - Get a better make PSU like Antec, Seasonic, Corsair.
Up the GPU to a 6990 or 590 just to make sure all games will be maxed.
Add an aftermarket Cooler to OC the CPU like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.
September 29, 2011 8:27:49 AM

Rizlla said:
If it is only for gaming I would suggest the following.

Drop the CPU to i5 2500K - The i7 does not have that much advantage in games.


Stick with the i7 if you want bragging rights. :D 

"I've got an i7" sounds a lot better than "I've got an i5".
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2011 8:28:30 AM
September 29, 2011 8:34:00 AM

Kiril said:
Hi all,

I just got back from deployment and am building myself a new computer to play all the games that I have missed out on. My budget for this computer is $2000 but I don't really see a reason to even spend that much haha. Im going to be running the games at 1920 x 1200 resolution and I plan to play just about evrything :D  Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions!

NOTE: I didn't include a storage drive and a disc drive because I am going to reuse the ones from my old computer.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz 314.99
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE $214.99
EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) $489.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 $159.99
OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SATA II MLC SSD $189.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $117.99
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850 PSU $119.99

Total Cost: $1608


would you mind using the template? it helps answer the usual questions right off the bat...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

also, you may get more input posting to the new system builds forum as that is where these discussions usually take place.

really good looking build though.

look at corsair's power supplies. i went with the 1000hx myself, which is actually a 1200 watter(i think). overkill? yes. but the lower the amount of total capacity you are using, the more efficient(and cooler) the supply runs. and you might put another one of those monster cards in there someday.

try to find your power supply on here before you buy it:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

he knows all.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=89

1000hx scores - 9.5/10

September 29, 2011 8:34:20 AM

Is there really not that much difference in performance between the i5 and i7? I do kind of want to go with the i7 just for the bragging rights haha.
September 29, 2011 8:44:35 AM

chedderslam1976 said:
would you mind using the template? it helps answer the usual questions right off the bat...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

also, you may get more input posting to the new system builds forum as that is where these discussions usually take place.

really good looking build though.

look at corsair's power supplies. i went with the 1000hx myself, which is actually a 1200 watter(i think). overkill? yes. but the lower the amount of total capacity you are using, the more efficient(and cooler) the supply runs. and you might put another one of those monster cards in there someday.

try to find your power supply on here before you buy it:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

he knows all.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=89

1000hx scores - 9.5/10


My bad! I didn't see the thread on the other forum. Also, don't know if I should double post this... Anyway, here is the rest of the info:

Approximate Purchase Date: this week)


Budget Range: 1500-2000


System Usage from Most to Least Important: This baby will be a gaming machine


Parts Not Required: don't need any peripherals. I also already have a 1TB HDD and a DVD/R drive.


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or amazon. i also have a frys down the street heh


Country of Origin: USA, California


Parts Preferences: no preference, whatever has the best performance


Overclocking: eh probably not


SLI or Crossfire: also probably not


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200


Additional Comments: Quiet is good, but I wouldn't sacrifice performance for how quiet it is.
September 29, 2011 8:46:01 AM

If you require the bragging rights go for the i7. For cost vs performance the i5 is better for gaming.
September 29, 2011 8:55:19 AM

look at these cases, since you have money to burn:

http://www.mountainmods.com/

this is what i am rocking, but only because i have a gaming rig and a separate dev server in the same box:
http://www.mountainmods.com/computer-cases-ascension-duality-c-21_86.html

Rizlla is correct. the only benefit to the i7 is purely bragging rights.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

$100 can go to a bigger sdd; maybe you could get a 256 GB one? why not. ;) 

it's 2 am west coast. you on duty?
September 29, 2011 9:42:33 AM

Nice build.

I'd go i7-950 which OC's to 4.2-4.3 fairly easily.
You have a good solid case and SSD but I'd go a better PSU like the Seasonic X Series 760.

Agree with others that 16GB is useless for you, I do high end animations with Autodesk 3D Studio Max and even 6Gb or now 12Gb after an upgrade only gets used to 75%. Go something better performing/cheaper at 8Gb

And the 580, its a great card but you could get 2x 6950 in CFx for about the same price at 30-35% more performance.


BTW glad to hear you got back safe, I'm a Kiwi so don't really agree with this US lead war but our SAS are over there doing their bit and I'm proud of that at least
September 29, 2011 10:05:03 AM

yeah you can use all specs its fantastic but instead of i7 use i5 2500k its best gaming pc
September 29, 2011 10:20:26 AM

chedderslam1976 said:
look at these cases, since you have money to burn:

http://www.mountainmods.com/

this is what i am rocking, but only because i have a gaming rig and a separate dev server in the same box:
http://www.mountainmods.com/computer-cases-ascension-duality-c-21_86.html

Rizlla is correct. the only benefit to the i7 is purely bragging rights.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

$100 can go to a bigger sdd; maybe you could get a 256 GB one? why not. ;) 

it's 2 am west coast. you on duty?



I have to disagree Chedder, the HAF 932 is an AWESOME case, I have a HAF 922 and it sits in our living room to the side kicking ass while not looking like a dick, it has amazing cooling ability and its understated, so when your GF is over she won't see a big glowing box and think you're a total geek!!!

BTW what about cooling, you will need a decent CPU cooler with this fit, and I'd recommened the optional side fan (200mm in silent mode) to feed the GPU
September 29, 2011 10:20:54 AM

That Crucial mentione above (the m4 129GB) is available at Microcenter for $178. Just got it today. But yeah, if I had that much to burn, I think I'd definitely hit up SLI.
September 29, 2011 11:32:09 AM

Ok I made some changes based on your guys suggestions, and here is the new build :) 

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 219.99
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE $214.99
EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) $489.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 $159.99
OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SATA II MLC SSD $189.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $51.99
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU $134.99
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Cooling $26.99

Total: $1488.92

Also, I think the HAF 932 strikes a sweet spot between looking cool and still being stylish at the same time haha.
September 29, 2011 12:19:00 PM

Kiril said:
Ok I made some changes based on your guys suggestions, and here is the new build :) 

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 219.99
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE $214.99
EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) $489.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 $159.99
OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SATA II MLC SSD $189.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $51.99
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU $134.99
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Cooling $26.99

Total: $1488.92

Also, I think the HAF 932 strikes a sweet spot between looking cool and still being stylish at the same time haha.


oh, don't get me wrong, you cannot go wrong with the HAF 932. that was my initial choice going into my own build. good choice.

i'm a little behind on the ssd market, but i do know the m4 is a good choice. it also shares a designation with a certain piece of military hardware you may know of. just saying.

read this for your ssd; update should be out soon:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-solid-state-nand-reliability,2998.html

-----

like what you read? hire me! ENHANCE!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2011 1:06:54 PM

Would still recommend a GEN3 motherboard in there.

Any reason your paying extra for the DELUXE version over the -v PRO?
September 29, 2011 1:34:38 PM

Honestly, I am not even sure what is all that different between the Deluxe and the Pro haha. But yeah, I like the feature set and I really like the color scheme haha

Also, going to swap out the Vertex 2 for the Vertex 3 which is only $20 more.
!