Sign in with
Your question

GTX 285 upgrade to GTX 480 or GTX 560ti or GTX 580?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2011 5:17:51 PM

Hi.

I hope that someone can help me make a good decision.
I want to upgrade my GTX 285 GPU to a GTX 480, GTX 560ti (1 or 2GB), or GTX 580, but don't know if my specs are right for these cards, and I don't know if I'll see a noticable change in performance. I do not have a custom build on this PC. It's an ACER M7720, and these are the specs.

i7 920 4x 2.66 Ghz
X58 Chipset +ICH10R
Windows Vista HomePrem. 64Bit
12GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 285 1GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
750W Delta power supply

One thing that bugs me about this PC is that it has no HDMI slot, which I, unfortunately, overlooked upon purchase. It has 2 DVI slots instead. So, I have to use an adapter.
Also, I think this is classified as being in a Midi tower. So, I'm concerned about space, and overheating as well.
I've been leaning towards the GTX 560 ti, but I'm just not sure. I'd greatly appreciate some experienced help in making this decision. So that, I end up with a stabile and well performing system.
July 30, 2011 12:39:24 PM

What Is Your PSU ? If More Than 550W Then A GTX 560 Ti [2GB] Is Veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Good, If Not 2GB Then 1Gb Will Also B Veryyyyyyy Good ! ;)  !
July 30, 2011 2:13:52 PM

Hi, Thank you for your comment. As mentioned above, I have a 750 watt Delta power supply unit. Does anyone know of a reason why the GTX 560 ti 1GB or 2 GB wouldn't be a good solution with these PC specifications? I just want to be sure that I put the right equipment into this computer. So, it remains stabile.
Related resources
July 30, 2011 2:21:04 PM

Hi all. I have another question in regards to this discussion. Are power supply and CPU the only concerns when upgrading from a GTX 285 to another GTX model or is there something else I should be considering that I may have overlooked?
July 30, 2011 3:16:41 PM

@xeeshanrahat:the 2 gb frame buffer makes zero difference, not even at high res at this point totally worthless imo,

OP: beyond that you need to oc your cpu and your psu sounds sketch; "delta" never heard of it, I would be replacing that; espically if you plan on oc'ing.. what case do you have and what is your monitors native resolution?
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2011 3:40:15 PM

jjb8675309 said:
"delta" never heard of it, I would be replacing that; espically if you plan on oc'ing

Often wonder how people come up with this stuff.
You'll find Delta inside a bunch of Antec products ( Earthwatts, HCG, SG series )

Don't know if this is the OP's model

if his is anywhere close, it's much more than enough for a single 560Ti with all the overclocking the OP could muster and shouldn't have a problem with a 580 either.
a c 385 Î Nvidia
July 30, 2011 4:07:01 PM

With your system, you can use any video card all the way up to the GTX 580. It really depends on your budget. Rule out the 480 and get whatever GTX 500 series card fits your budget. In general:

560 Ti: $230
570: $320
580: $430
July 30, 2011 4:42:31 PM

Thank you for answering jjb8675309. I don't think this CPU can be overclocked. It's in a midi tower. Is OC really necessary? I asked about that about 6 months ago, before I found this forum, and quite a few people said it can't and shouldn't be done. Something about overheating and ACER Aspire computers are difficult and sometimes impossible to OC. I just took their word for it. I can't even get into the BIOS, I'm reduced to using Sandra Lite to monitor my PC data, and this PC didn't come with a manual either. It only has a quick guide to hook it up to your monitor, and shows you where things are placed. Also, Delta power supplies are common in a lot of Acer and HP computers, but that's all I know of them too. I'm sure. It's not a highend PSU, but I haven't had any problems so far, and I use this PC a minimum of 12 Hrs. a day. This is a standard build ACER M7720 with no modifications. It's pretty stabile and fast for an entry model i7.
Basically, I only want to change the graphic card to a DX11 card, because the GTX 285 is a DX10 card, and it supposedly performs better. I considered this card because the power comsumption of a GTX 560 ti (according to NVIDIA specs) is supposed to be less than that of a GTX 285. It also has a lower temp(ca. 6° less) and the power connectors are the same, which is why I was leaning towards the GTX560 ti. I thought I'd be able to get away with changing the card without having to change any other hardware, which is pretty much what I'd like to be able to do, but only if my system will still run properly. I almost forgot. My monitor is 23"or 57cm and native at 1680 x 1050 is that important too? Sorry, I don't know all of the technical words for everything. Please, excuse my newby language. Again, I appreciate all help with this subject.
July 30, 2011 5:01:32 PM

Hi, Delluser1, and matto17secs, I appreciate your help here. That is my exact PSU. I checked all of the numbers. I didn't see an 8 pin on it. I'll have to look again. The GTX 580, if I recall correctly, requires 1 6pin and 1 8pin. I chose the GTX 560 ti because it uses the same 6pin connectors that the GTX 285 uses, and less power while supposedly offering more performance. Can I overclock this ACER, and the new graphic card without frying any of the hardware? Before I found this forum, I was told that I couldn't. They said something about overheating and ACER makes it difficult and sometimes impossible. I couldn't even get into the BIOS, as mentioned above. I appreciate all helpful advice.
July 30, 2011 5:15:03 PM

Hi again everyone, I have 2 other questions to go along with the last ones. Do I uninstall the old driver before or after I install the new card, And do I install the new driver before or after installation of the new card? That's probably a dumb question, but I only did this once before and that was 8 years ago.
July 30, 2011 9:20:06 PM

delluser1 said:
Often wonder how people come up with this stuff.
You'll find Delta inside a bunch of Antec products ( Earthwatts, HCG, SG series )

Don't know if this is the OP's model

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/contrvlr/deltagps750abaspec.jpg

if his is anywhere close, it's much more than enough for a single 560Ti with all the overclocking the OP could muster and shouldn't have a problem with a 580 either.

thanks I stand corrected, I have an earthwatts psu in a backup rig and its great, obviously the OP, I did not know that these psus were antec derivatives
a c 385 Î Nvidia
July 30, 2011 10:37:15 PM

If that Delta PSU is from the same company that makes Delta fans, then it should be a quality unit.

As far as your choice of the GTX 560 Ti, great choice, particularly if you are lacking an 8-pin plug. I actually wouldn't worry so much about overclocking your CPU, but I would recommend overclocking your video card. The GTX 560 Ti's run generally pretty cool and won't present a major heat issue for your overall case... unless the airflow is really, really bad, but I doubt that it is. For most of this stuff, the correct answer is to just try it out and see if it works. Most of the time you will be fine.

The best procedure for installing a new card is:
uninstall old drivers > shut down the PC > install the new card > turn on the PC > install the new drivers > restart > adjust dispay properties/preferences in the Nvidia Control Panel if necessary > start playing games

Always use the latest drivers from the Nvidia.com website, rather than the ones that come with the card on an installation CD.

After all that, then download and install Afterburner to check temps, clock speeds, fan speeds, frame rates, etc. and to overclock if you wish.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...
July 31, 2011 7:03:47 PM

Hi. I appreciate all of your help, and I'm going to order the GTX 560 ti. I basically need this card to get me through the next few months until my B-day. Then, I'll upgrade my whole system to a custom built i7 2600K rig with a sli config. I'm surethat I'll be back to seek advice for that too. I thank you all, and I'll post how the upgrade turns out, when I get it installed.
July 31, 2011 7:16:53 PM

nice let us know how it turns out
August 5, 2011 6:43:24 PM

Hi again everyone. I'm back, and I'm going to give you a partial update. 1st, I found a 6+2 pcie pin on my PSU after I ordered the card, and thank goodness for that, because I ordered the Gigabyte GV-N560SO-1Gl-950 Rev.2.0 not realizing that the super overclock version requires 1 6pin and 1 8pin. I had assumed that it needed 2 6pins. I should have looked at that. Anyway, I got lucky there.
2nd,the worst part (so far) was getting the old card out, because there just wasn't much space to get the screws out. The last graphic card I installed(8yrs. ago) was a little flat card. So I had no idea what I was doing with this one. Then I realized that I only needed to remove the ones in the back. So for no reason, I removed the CPU cooler, some power cabels, and a small fan that was under the cooler, which directly blocked 2 of the screws. That was actually a good thing though, because the thermal paste on the CPU cooler desperately needed to be cleaned off and renewed.
So far,I have only installed the nvidia drivers, and I haven't noticed any problems yet. I'm going to take the card for a spin now and stress it out a little. Then, I'll report back with my thoughts about it's performance. One more thing, I'm a little wary about the OC GURU that comes with the card. So, I haven't installed that yet. I might use different software to monitor the card. Does anyone know which software offers the best possibilities of setting the GPU fan speeds, setting different modes, monitoring temps, showing FPS, and all that. I have sysoft sandra lite, but it doesn't let me customize any settings.
August 5, 2011 6:45:30 PM

I almost forgot. I can't thank you all enough. Almost everything said here was helpful in some way. Thank you.
August 5, 2011 8:13:21 PM

sounds like a nice old school sli setup, enjoy!
August 5, 2011 9:12:43 PM

Delta is a manufacturer they make PSU's for almost all of the big guys.
August 6, 2011 5:58:54 PM

Hi again. I tested the card last night for about 8 hrs. continuously, and today for 5 Hrs. more. It's a definite improvement over the GTX 285. 1st.)I noticed that the details in the games look better. 2nd.)This card is quiet. Even in games like Crysis warhead, Crysis 2, Batman AA, Battlefield BC2, and Just Cause 2, it was more quiet than the GTX 285. I maxed out all of the settings and had no problems. No freezing, crashing, flickering, artifacts, power supply warnings, or anything else. The system seems to be stabile, the way it is now, and I hope it stays that way. Also, I initially thought to get rid of SiSoftware Sandra before, because I thought it was reporting faulty Temps on the Mainboard (75-79°C), and brcause I get no temp readings on my GPU, but I was wrong. After removing and replacing the thermal paste, the temps on the MB dropped considerably.(42-47°) Probably, not a minute too soon either. Sisoft Sandra also recommended that I increase the monitor from 60Hz to 75Hz. I'll have to look into that, but still no GPU temps to be found.
Anyway,right now, I'm going to look into some monitoring/benchmarking kind of software, because I would like to know what my actual GPU temps, fan speeds, and FPS are. I want to thank you all again, because this upgrade seems to have worked out well.
August 6, 2011 8:49:09 PM

msi afterburner works for me
a c 385 Î Nvidia
August 7, 2011 1:36:27 AM

The Gigabyte SOC should overclock even more and still remain cool and quiet. Even at 950 mhz, the stock SOC is just about as fast as a GTX 570 or HD6970.
!