Sign in with
Your question

Just bought an XFX 5770 Single Slot... High temps?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2011 5:21:39 PM

Hello Toms Hardware Community!

My PC was initially an Acer M3802.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Motherboard: Some Acer one
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770
RAM: 3GB DDR2

So basically, I bought a Corsair CX500 (500W) and an XFX Radeon HD 5770 yesterday and installed them. (It was my first ever time installing something by myself)

Everything is functional, however my idle temperature is:
59'c-61'c (with the side cover off)
and 67'c-70'c (with the side cover on)
Now the case is some acer one... You can see it by googling "Acer M3802".
When I go into a game like Homefront, and play it on 1680x1050, dx11, maxed I get a good 30-40fps which i'm happy with.
However after 20 mins, the audio on my PC starts to stutter, and the game becomes laggy even though its still spitting out the same FPS. I checked the GPU-Z log, and the temperature was going upto 90'C, and CCC was keeping fan speed on a lovely 60% lol.
So I decided to set fan speed to 90% myself, played for a bit and the maximum temperature it went upto ingame was around 80'C to 85'C. So there was a slight improvement, but i'm pretty sure this problem is due to overheating.
I noticed after overseeing the overheating problem that my case has no fans lol (bloody acer cheap rubbish...) The only fans I have are my PSU's fan, my CPU's fan, and the small fan on the 5770. However my PC has no case fans which keep air flowing etc.
However Ive noticed that on the back of my case, theres room for one 120mm fan, so im going to purchase this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-coolermaster-sickl...
I'm assuming this will help, particularly because its 2000RPM, does anybody have any idea how much of a temperature improvement having that fan will make?
I want to put more fans to help air flow... but there aren't more places on the case, any ideas how to help this temperature issue?

Thanks
July 30, 2011 12:44:54 PM

That's Why I Never Recommend ATI Graphic Cards, They Are *** !

WELLLLLL

What Is You PSU Brand, If It Is Good Like CORSAIR, COOLER MASTER, ANTEC ETC. Then Its Good ! & If You Have Branded PSU Then No Problem Of PSU.

Then

It Means You Have Got An Wrong Piece From XFX ! RePlace The Unit, Or The FAN May Not Be The Good One, TRY TO REPLACE THE FAN WITH A VERYYYYY GOOD GPU HEAT-SINK !
July 30, 2011 1:38:33 PM

XeeshanRahat said:

WELLLLLL

What Is You PSU Brand, If It Is Good Like CORSAIR, COOLER MASTER, ANTEC ETC. Then Its Good ! & If You Have Branded PSU Then No Problem Of PSU.

Then

It Means You Have Got An Wrong Piece From XFX ! RePlace The Unit, Or The FAN May Not Be The Good One, TRY TO REPLACE THE FAN WITH A VERYYYYY GOOD GPU HEAT-SINK !

The total lack of air moving in the case is more the issue rather than the AMD card, it also doesn't help that it's a single slot design with a low powered fan.

Quote:
Hello Toms Hardware Community!

My PC was initially an Acer M3802.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Motherboard: Some Acer one
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770
RAM: 3GB DDR2

So basically, I bought a Corsair CX500 (500W) and an XFX Radeon HD 5770 yesterday and installed them. (It was my first ever time installing something by myself)

Everything is functional, however my idle temperature is:
59'c-61'c (with the side cover off)
and 67'c-70'c (with the side cover on)
Now the case is some acer one... You can see it by googling "Acer M3802".
When I go into a game like Homefront, and play it on 1680x1050, dx11, maxed I get a good 30-40fps which i'm happy with.
However after 20 mins, the audio on my PC starts to stutter, and the game becomes laggy even though its still spitting out the same FPS. I checked the GPU-Z log, and the temperature was going upto 90'C, and CCC was keeping fan speed on a lovely 60% lol.
So I decided to set fan speed to 90% myself, played for a bit and the maximum temperature it went upto ingame was around 80'C to 85'C. So there was a slight improvement, but i'm pretty sure this problem is due to overheating.
I noticed after overseeing the overheating problem that my case has no fans lol (bloody acer cheap rubbish...) The only fans I have are my PSU's fan, my CPU's fan, and the small fan on the 5770. However my PC has no case fans which keep air flowing etc.
However Ive noticed that on the back of my case, theres room for one 120mm fan, so im going to purchase this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120 [...] t-case-fan
I'm assuming this will help, particularly because its 2000RPM, does anybody have any idea how much of a temperature improvement having that fan will make?
I want to put more fans to help air flow... but there aren't more places on the case, any ideas how to help this temperature issue?

Thanks

Inserting the fan should help temperatures, not sure how much though as it's an exhaust, what CPU cooler do you have? a blow down or tower one? it might be better as you can get the air flowing in one direction rather than all over the place. Could you take pictures of your case (inside and out) and then post them here would help no end for recommendations.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 30, 2011 2:01:21 PM

XeeshanRahat said:

WELLLLLL

Then

I don't want to seem rude, but I don't think you fully read my opening message - evidence to that is the fact that your asking me what PSU brand I have... when I said Corsair rather clearly.

As for going to silly conclusions like there's something wrong with my XFX card - when there isn't... it's just because my case is not efficiently cooling the card since I have no case fans... and proof to this is because the temps decrease by about 10'C when the case cover is off, the initial question was how much of an inpact adding that 120mm fan at 2000RPM will do, and what I can do to add more fans into my case whilst there are no sufficient slots.
July 30, 2011 2:17:36 PM

Quote:
1. Game stuttering in your situation is likely caused by the GPU overheating
2. GPu overheating is likely to be caused by ur OEM casing with terrible airflow
3. Cooler Master 120mm fans ? I have the same one in my Elite 430, shed 5C off my HD6950 in Metro 2033 at 1920*1080
4. IMO, u should have gotten normal sized HD5770s jsut because they run cooler, see if u can exchange new cards with them

1. Yeah, the stuttering must be the GPU overheating. Seems to happen after 90C+.
2. Yup the case is a terrible one...
3. Tbh if it takes 5C off mine, i'd be happy =) Coz it would mean that I would get into the low 50's high 40's idling and i'm more than happy with that. (Assuming case is on...) However I only have one fan slot on the back of my case... should I tell it to exhale the hot air from inside the PC? or inhale cold air from outside into the PC? Which would provide the best cooling with my case on? I'm assuming exhale, correct?
4. A lot of people have told me I should've just gotten the double slot one... however I really personally don't want a double slot with this tiny crappy OEM case... Here's a picture, and look at how small the case is... It's not even big enough for me to properly thread PSU cables round the back etc...
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7758/dsc00741wp.jpg
But idc coz i aint going to go back to the shop and get a double slot :D DD
July 30, 2011 2:19:47 PM

metal orient said:

Inserting the fan should help temperatures, not sure how much though as it's an exhaust, what CPU cooler do you have? a blow down or tower one? it might be better as you can get the air flowing in one direction rather than all over the place. Could you take pictures of your case (inside and out) and then post them here would help no end for recommendations.

No idea wht CPU cooler i have... just the factory OEM one...
July 30, 2011 3:21:38 PM

kyanite said:
No idea wht CPU cooler i have... just the factory OEM one...

Hmm i can see what you mean about it being cramped, that is a hell of a mess with the cables. Maybe try to get them under that slot under the hard drives.

I'd suggest getting a a tower heatsink, you'd have to measure of find out how high the case is to see what would fit in. This would cost about £20 or so.

The i assume you have a grill on the side door of your case, mount a fan there and you would get better temps.

If you were feeling adventurous maybe try getting a fan in the 5.25" slot. But i wouldn't know what to do to that.
July 30, 2011 3:24:19 PM

Another possibility is to put all the cables you can in the 5.25" slots, or 3.5" slots and mount 2 smallish fans, 92mm maybe in the place under the hard drives and that may pull cool air from the front and would get to your 5770 first, you'd want a 120mm fan in the space as well though.
July 30, 2011 3:55:54 PM

metal orient said:
Hmm i can see what you mean about it being cramped, that is a hell of a mess with the cables. Maybe try to get them under that slot under the hard drives.

I'd suggest getting a a tower heatsink, you'd have to measure of find out how high the case is to see what would fit in. This would cost about £20 or so.

The i assume you have a grill on the side door of your case, mount a fan there and you would get better temps.

If you were feeling adventurous maybe try getting a fan in the 5.25" slot. But i wouldn't know what to do to that.

metal orient said:
Another possibility is to put all the cables you can in the 5.25" slots, or 3.5" slots and mount 2 smallish fans, 92mm maybe in the place under the hard drives and that may pull cool air from the front and would get to your 5770 first, you'd want a 120mm fan in the space as well though.

- I could try to get them under the hard drive... i'll experiment later because I really need to give the whole cable management deal another shot.
- As for the tower heatsink... i'll think about it xD
- I do have a grill on the side door, but I don't really see how I would be able to stick a fan on the side? :(  Is it possible with these pictures as a guidance?
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3038/dsc00742fi.jpg
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8846/dsc00744bw.jpg
- As for trying to put a front fan... even if I put a fan at the front, would it really draw air in? I mean there's no holes or anything at the front of my case... theres just the small 1cm gap between the inside of the case and the plastic front of the case. Would it be worth putting a small fan at the front to inhale? when its not rlly inhaling outside air?
July 30, 2011 4:35:32 PM

Use zip ties to keep the fan on, that's better than i thought you can mount it very close to the 5770 which should give great temperatures. I guess 2 fans then, 120mm for the back and whatever size fan you think will fit for the side door.
July 30, 2011 5:41:49 PM

metal orient said:
Use zip ties to keep the fan on, that's better than i thought you can mount it very close to the 5770 which should give great temperatures. I guess 2 fans then, 120mm for the back and whatever size fan you think will fit for the side door.

That's a very good idea with the zip ties as a matter of fact! I will see what I can do :)  Hopefully i'll go to the shop tomorrow and order some stuff. I'll also be ordering this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-system-blower-uv-r...

Quote:
I have nothing to say TBH......only advice I can give u now is grab a new case......

Haha, I'll most likely buy a new case. Depends if i'm going to get a new PC or not :> But for the moment I want to see how much of an inpact, a few fans can make. If I can keep temperature ingames (1680x1050 dx11 maxed out) below 80 with the case on i'll be relatively happy :> But yeah, how much do u think my temp will drop if i got a new case?
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2011 5:52:42 PM

Quote:
1. Game stuttering in your situation is likely caused by the GPU overheating
2. GPu overheating is likely to be caused by ur OEM casing with terrible airflow
3. Cooler Master 120mm fans ? I have the same one in my Elite 430, shed 5C off my HD6950 in Metro 2033 at 1920*1080
4. IMO, u should have gotten normal sized HD5770s jsut because they run cooler, see if u can exchange new cards with them

1. You're a fanboy and I dont get half the things you're trying to convey
2. OP has a single slot HD5770, the card is suppose to be a dual slot, hence the heat problem, probably has a small fan too
kinda what the HD4870s was in terms of heat as well since the 4870 was reference single slot

3.Cooler Master PSUs arent exactly good compared to Corsair, OP's Corsair CX500w can easily run a HD6850 though

I have a silent pro from CM, and its awesome.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2011 5:56:12 PM

If that is the case you have, you can set a fan in the back to blow the warm air out. On the side grill area It looks like you should be able to set up a couple of 60mm or 80mm case fans to pull air into the case through the grill. You will need to buy some thin nuts/bolts sets. Buy enough to have extra nuts, because you will have to place a nut on the inside on each bolt before applying the fans if there are no normal riser spots for fans to be placed upon. This will prevent the blades from smacking the metal. If you want to, you can paint the bolts ends black before using them so they blend with the side of the case better. As far as the single slot 5770 goes, they def do run hotter then the dual slot ones, but regardless of that you should see a decent improvement after getting airflow going.
July 30, 2011 7:55:30 PM

professorprofessorson said:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/Amakusa666/M3802_NV.png

If that is the case you have, you can set a fan in the back to blow the warm air out. On the side grill area It looks like you should be able to set up a couple of 60mm or 80mm case fans to pull air into the case through the grill. You will need to buy some thin nuts/bolts sets. Buy enough to have extra nuts, because you will have to place a nut on the inside on each bolt before applying the fans if there are no normal riser spots for fans to be placed upon. This will prevent the blades from smacking the metal. If you want to, you can paint the bolts ends black before using them so they blend with the side of the case better. As far as the single slot 5770 goes, they def do run hotter then the dual slot ones, but regardless of that you should see a decent improvement after getting airflow going.

I've just done some measuring and it turns out the bloody fan space at the back of my computer is an 80mm one OMG -.-!
So I guess i'm going to have to change from that coolermaster 120mm one to another one, i'll also be purchasing this to help the air exhaling.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-system-blower-uv-r...(exhausts-hot-air-from-system)-fits-in-pci-slot

As for the side fans... I spoke to my Dad about it and he keeps telling me that there's no need for any side fan to inhale outside air... So I guess that's a no on the side fan :/  Even though I think a side fan would be good... but at the same time my case is so small that I don't think itll make that much of a significant difference to have air being inhaled in anyways. So idk :/ 

For the back 80mm fan, I'm trying to choose between:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-coolermaster-silent...
&
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-antec-pro-case-fan-...

At the end of the day I want a molex one, and i'm unsure if the coolermaster one comes with an adapter.
The Coolermaster has 22.84 CFM Air Flow & 1800RPM, whilst the Antec one has 34 CFM Air Flow & 2600RPM.
So surely the Antec will cool my card better? Since it will be exhaling the internal air a lot faster and more efficient?

--

As for the people who have posted above and told me to try to sort out my PSU wiring as much as humanly possible with this tiny case, I have taken your advice and done so. There hasn't been any changes in the temperatures, but i'm sure this will improve air flow.

BEFORE
AFTER

July 30, 2011 8:03:45 PM

Oops, sorry for the massive image, can an admin fix it? It wont let me edit my own post.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2011 8:46:30 PM

a rear fan will help, but that case is just cramped man, you need to get a new one imo
July 31, 2011 12:20:07 AM

Quote:
As for the side fans... I spoke to my Dad about it and he keeps telling me that there's no need for any side fan to inhale outside air... So I guess that's a no on the side fan :/  Even though I think a side fan would be good... but at the same time my case is so small that I don't think itll make that much of a significant difference to have air being inhaled in anyways. So idk :/ 

I can't see how it wouldn't help, getting cool, fresh, air right onto the graphics card would help, but he may know more than me so your call. It should also reduce the negative pressure that will result from only having an 'out' fan, the benefits being less dust will be sucked in.

Good work on the cabling, clearly not alot you can really do, but when the air starts moving it will help a bit.

I'm not sure how much this will actually help
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-system-blower-uv-r...(exhausts-hot-air-from-system)-fits-in-pci-slot
But i guess you could try it. Just make sure it's not blocking the fan to the 5770 or that will end badly i fear. (they will be fighting to move air and i think this thing has a more powerful fan, so it will win).
a c 217 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 12:30:15 AM

Rather than spending money on fans, you might consider buying a better case. most decent cases have the PSU at the bottom, which helps you manage your cables a lot more. With removable back panels, you can run your cables out of site, and have them come back into the case at the points they are needed.

You'd gain a ton better air flow with a good case and it can be used on future computers.

I found that the Silverstone Hawk 2 RV02B-W enclosure lowered temps and was much quieter than my previous case. With the Antec 902, I couldn't stand these 470's, but with the better case, they are a lot quieter too, in part to running cooler so the fans don't have to run as high, and also in part due to better case design for noise.
July 31, 2011 1:01:32 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
a rear fan will help, but that case is just cramped man, you need to get a new one imo

Yeah :/ 

metal orient said:

I can't see how it wouldn't help, getting cool, fresh, air right onto the graphics card would help, but he may know more than me so your call. It should also reduce the negative pressure that will result from only having an 'out' fan, the benefits being less dust will be sucked in.

Good work on the cabling, clearly not alot you can really do, but when the air starts moving it will help a bit.

I'm not sure how much this will actually help
But i guess you could try it. Just make sure it's not blocking the fan to the 5770 or that will end badly i fear. (they will be fighting to move air and i think this thing has a more powerful fan, so it will win).

I'll go with the back 80mm fan and the little PCI slot thing for now and i'll see what it does to the temperatures :) , If i feel more air is really needed, then back to the shop i'll go hehe.
As for it blocking the fan to the 5770, shall i make sure theres 1 PCI slot between them?
As for my cabling... it's sort of had a notch kicked back but its still more or less okay. Basically the CX500 Corsair PSU, the holes werent corresponding to the holes on my case so i left it without any screws . Then about an hour ago I realised that I had my PSU upside down lol, so I grabbed it, and wrestled with it and turned it around, so its slightly changed the 'neatness' of my cables :p  but its still more or less alright. Look on the bright side though, my PSU is blowing cold air downwards at least :p 
bystander said:
Rather than spending money on fans, you might consider buying a better case. most decent cases have the PSU at the bottom, which helps you manage your cables a lot more. With removable back panels, you can run your cables out of site, and have them come back into the case at the points they are needed.

You'd gain a ton better air flow with a good case and it can be used on future computers.

I found that the Silverstone Hawk 2 RV02B-W enclosure lowered temps and was much quieter than my previous case. With the Antec 902, I couldn't stand these 470's, but with the better case, they are a lot quieter too, in part to running cooler so the fans don't have to run as high, and also in part due to better case design for noise.

Buying a new case isn't an issue, the issue is that this current PC will be my dads in a month or two, and i'll be getting my own custom built one... with a proper case :D  And my dad insists on spending money only on fans and not a new case since he wouldn't require good airflow.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 1:43:42 AM

kyanite said:
Yeah :/ 

Buying a new case isn't an issue, the issue is that this current PC will be my dads in a month or two, and i'll be getting my own custom built one... with a proper case :D  And my dad insists on spending money only on fans and not a new case since he wouldn't require good airflow.

He will need a new case if he wants that hot running rig to last a while. When you order the parts for your custom rig, persuade your dad to splurge and get himself a cheap, but better case
July 31, 2011 2:06:05 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
He will need a new case if he wants that hot running rig to last a while. When you order the parts for your custom rig, persuade your dad to splurge and get himself a cheap, but better case

He won't be playing games or anything with the computer, so really the GPU temp will always remain 60'C and below... So there isn't a point really?
a c 217 U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 2:24:12 AM

kyanite said:
He won't be playing games or anything with the computer, so really the GPU temp will always remain 60'C and below... So there isn't a point really?

Do you still have the option to return his video card and get one with a better cooler? If you got a 2 slot cooled card, you might not have the issues at all.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 2:24:28 AM

kyanite said:

If it is idling at 60, then when he does anything such as watch youtube or anything that takes graphical power no matter how non draining it is, without adequate cooling his temps will be higher.
July 31, 2011 10:40:09 AM

bystander said:
Do you still have the option to return his video card and get one with a better cooler? If you got a 2 slot cooled card, you might not have the issues at all.

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/GPU/XFX...
I idle at around 46-60 and my load is about 79-80. Considering my computer has no fans whatsoever, i'm not doing too bad. I don't want to return it and get a 2 slot card.

FlintIronStagg said:
If it is idling at 60, then when he does anything such as watch youtube or anything that takes graphical power no matter how non draining it is, without adequate cooling his temps will be higher.

Youtube doesn't raise the temperature of the card whatsoever. Infact the GPU Load stays 1%.

Quote:
@OP, you should still grab the 120mm fan, but only this time, u tie it to the card and use it as a external cooler for ur GPU :lol: 

lol
July 31, 2011 11:12:39 AM

I could be wrong here but the PSU fan will be taking air out of the case not putting it in.

Given that this is the case i's probably not worth putting that second fan in, and would be better mounting one on the side next to the graphics card. And please DON'T put that blower any where near the graphics card (while i could be wrong) the fan on your GPU will not be able to keep up with the PCI slot one you're buying and will be choked by it. However the fan may improve airflow and thus help but you'd be better off with a side fan blowing in.
July 31, 2011 11:24:20 AM

If it blew air onto the card it would fantastic but it doesn't. It does the exact opposite and i don't see that ending well.
July 31, 2011 1:34:52 PM

metal orient said:
I could be wrong here but the PSU fan will be taking air out of the case not putting it in.

Given that this is the case i's probably not worth putting that second fan in, and would be better mounting one on the side next to the graphics card. And please DON'T put that blower any where near the graphics card (while i could be wrong) the fan on your GPU will not be able to keep up with the PCI slot one you're buying and will be choked by it. However the fan may improve airflow and thus help but you'd be better off with a side fan blowing in.

metal orient said:
If it blew air onto the card it would fantastic but it doesn't. It does the exact opposite and i don't see that ending well.

Everyone on the internet have reviewed it and said its good :S
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/bm.kerssens/cool8800/b...
This guy did it and it dropped 5'C from his gpu...
If you think that double slot one is too intense and will fight with my GPU what if i got this one:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-system-blower-uv-r...
and kept one PCI slot between them?

Quote:
when I saw that post, I thought u mistaken something.....turns out u really plug that on a PCi to suck air.... :lol: 
Getting a dual slot card would be better though since that cooler u linked is itself big and dual slot

Yes the PCI does suck hot air coming out of the GPU and exhausts it out of the case... this way cold air from outside of the case will come into the case and therefore cool the GPU.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 2:56:44 PM

kyanite said:
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/GPU/XFX...
I idle at around 46-60 and my load is about 79-80. Considering my computer has no fans whatsoever, i'm not doing too bad. I don't want to return it and get a 2 slot card.

Youtube doesn't raise the temperature of the card whatsoever. Infact the GPU Load stays 1%.

lol

surfing the web raises gpu temp. idle speed means just that - when your computer has no activity going on. any sort of activity will raise your temps slightly. My card idles at 39-41c and when surfing the web and streaming video i get around 45-48c; the difference isnt drastic or comparable to gaming temps, but the raise in temp is there.
July 31, 2011 3:52:48 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
surfing the web raises gpu temp. idle speed means just that - when your computer has no activity going on. any sort of activity will raise your temps slightly. My card idles at 39-41c and when surfing the web and streaming video i get around 45-48c; the difference isnt drastic or comparable to gaming temps, but the raise in temp is there.

When I say it "doesnt raise the temperature of the card whatsoever", what I mean is that it doesn't raise it by anything significant as opposed to when gaming.
July 31, 2011 4:55:29 PM

Quote:
Yes the PCI does suck hot air coming out of the GPU and exhausts it out of the case... this way cold air from outside of the case will come into the case and therefore cool the GPU.

NO!, the air is coming out of the back of the card (not where the DVI ports are) and coming in from the fan:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

I can see why you thought it was a good idea now.

a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:09:42 PM

OP get a new friggin case and a manual on cable management, return the 5770 if you can and get a double slot one for better cooling. I have a single slot 5770 running in a backup rig in a cm 430 elite case, (nothing spectacular there) and the temps are absolutely fine, they never exceed 60c, the gpu that you have is not the best at cooling but furthermore the system you are installing into is also not good at cooling so put those two factors together and thus you have your heat problem.

Do not listen to the idiot foaming at his mouth that says that ATI cards are *** he is 15 and has no clue what he is talking about. Your heat dilema is the product of all the contributing factors that I have listed above.

Download msi afterburner and create an aggressive fan curve so your fan ramps up as temps rise. That way your fan does'nt have to run high while you are idling.

Bottom line is get a new case (you can get a decent one for 50-80 imo) either way it will be a huge upgrade from what you have. This will allow for better cable management/ fan placement and overall cooling.

These are my thoughts, goodluck
July 31, 2011 5:11:06 PM

metal orient said:
Quote:

NO!, the air is coming out of the back of the card (not where the DVI ports are) and coming in from the fan:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

I can see why you thought it was a good idea now.

So let me get this straight, the fan on the GPU intakes air? or does it exhaust air? I thought it exhausts air in order to keep the GPU cool?!
Therefore when the PCI fan is below it, the PCI fan takes in any air being exhausted by the GPU fan, and then exhausts it out of the back of my case as opposed to having it just 'sit' in my case therefore everything stays cooler?

Also, what was a "good idea"?
o_O
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:11:39 PM

XeeshanRahat said:

WELLLLLL

Then

this is complete rubish, troll somewhere else little boy. In your member config you list an 2600k/sli build that you are "going to build" :lol:  ; get real and start begging your parents for money, we don't need your utter nonsense on here.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:16:49 PM

kyanite said:
So let me get this straight, the fan on the GPU intakes air? or does it exhaust air? I thought it exhausts air in order to keep the GPU cool?!
Therefore when the PCI fan is below it, the PCI fan takes in any air being exhausted by the GPU fan, and then exhausts it out of the back of my case as opposed to having it just 'sit' in my case therefore everything stays cooler?

Also, what was a "good idea"?
o_O

The gpu fan intakes air and forces it across the heat sink. With your particular model it doesn't exhaust it outside the case, therefore making it necessary to improve airflow to get fresh cool air for your GPU to force across the card instead of hot air billowing inside the case. The addition of an exhaust fan will greatly increase this airflow as opposed to having nothing at all, and adding an intake fan and exhaust will also help drastically.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:19:54 PM

I personally wouldn't spend a dime on that shitty case you have just get something like a cm 430 elite for around 40 bucks and you will be good to go with upgrading some of the 120mm fans which imo are the optimal size. Your case also has no cable management which can be a large contributing factor to the heat.

Your Dad is absolutley wrong in saying that you do not need a side intake fan and has no clue how air-cooling works with a comment like that. He may be your Dad but he is likely not a computer guru... no offense but don't listen to that advice a side intake will draw in cooler ambient air to help flush out the hot air (on the most basic level this is what happens) furthermore your side intake will blow cool air into your gpu which will hopefully drop your temps a bit.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:19:57 PM

jjb8675309 said:
OP get a new friggin case and a manual on cable management, return the 5770 if you can and get a double slot one for better cooling. I have a single slot 5770 running in a backup rig in a cm 430 elite case, (nothing spectacular there) and the temps are absolutely fine, they never exceed 60c, the gpu that you have is not the best at cooling but furthermore the system you are installing into is also not good at cooling so put those two factors together and thus you have your heat problem.

Do not listen to the idiot foaming at his mouth that says that ATI cards are *** he is 15 and has no clue what he is talking about. Your heat dilema is the product of all the contributing factors that I have listed above.

Download msi afterburner and create an aggressive fan curve so your fan ramps up as temps rise. That way your fan does'nt have to run high while you are idling.

Bottom line is get a new case (you can get a decent one for 50-80 imo) either way it will be a huge upgrade from what you have. This will allow for better cable management/ fan placement and overall cooling.

These are my thoughts, goodluck

+1, you can pick yourself up a HAF 912 for 59.99 with insane airflow, and tons of room; not the only one you can get, but a good example of a great case with low cost- i love mine.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:24:22 PM

yeah a haf 912 is a great case, personally I threw in the extra 20 bucks and got the coolermaster storm scout which imo is a great case also and cosmetically a little more appealing then the 912, althought he 912 is a great case for sure.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:30:58 PM

even the Rosewill Challenger for 50 bucks is a good deal but personally I am partial to coolermaster at the moment for cases. Although I have to say that this will likely be my next case once I am ready to step up with some water cooling:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

check it out this thing is a badboy. I am just over black cases at this point I have had so many...

this one is slick too but about double the price:

now for the OP I'd get something like these:

I know the OP is UK I believe but this will at least give you some ideas for budget cases to will be a hell of a lot better than what you have

a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 5:35:19 PM

the only concern that maybe someone can address with a new case is, being that the computer is prebuilt will the hdd led,power led etc leads hook up properly to his ACER motherboard.

A while back I was trying to do a similar thing with my buddies dell and came to the conclusion that a case upgrade was impossible based on the fact that the header would not hook up properly to the old dell motherboard because of the proprietary parts. I'm not sure if the Acer board will be the same, and in my case I wasn't about to start splicing wires to find if it could somehow work either but I'm just saying that this could be a complication. Can anyone shed any light on this matter?
July 31, 2011 6:11:50 PM

While a new case would be the best move, i'd say it would be too much hassle, especially as the OP will be getting a custom one later and it sounds like his dad won't be taxing it too much. A simple side fan should be all that is required.

Quote:
Also, what was a "good idea"? o_O

As to what was the good idea, the PCI slot fan. You thought it was a good idea because you thought the hot air form the fan was coming out of the fan hole, when it's coming in there and out the other side. Good to have that ironed out.

Just buy a small fan for now, zip tie it to the side near your 5770 and see how that goes. With your PSU at the top taking out the hot air i think you should have better case airflow and better temps on your 5770. If you want to, later on you could add another fan in the space provided but i don't think it'd do too much.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 6:27:54 PM

jjb8675309 said:
the only concern that maybe someone can address with a new case is, being that the computer is prebuilt will the hdd led,power led etc leads hook up properly to his ACER motherboard.

A while back I was trying to do a similar thing with my buddies dell and came to the conclusion that a case upgrade was impossible based on the fact that the header would not hook up properly to the old dell motherboard because of the proprietary parts. I'm not sure if the Acer board will be the same, and in my case I wasn't about to start splicing wires to find if it could somehow work either but I'm just saying that this could be a complication. Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

I switched my dads OEM PC over to a new case and the power plug style is the only difference. All of the separate plugs have a place on the mobo its just a matter of finding which one plugs in where, which is easy; just check out what wire goes where on the original case plug. In my dads case it was easy, his mobo had a diagram next to the ports on it. Honestly, you just need the power plug correct to operate the computer.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:19:51 PM

^yeah what I found in the dell is that all the individual cables are bound to a plastic bracket that plugged in its own special way, unlike a normal aftermarket case where the plugs are all indivudual, and I didn't feel like redoing all the wires with new individual connectors, in your case it might have been a lot less complicated then my scenario im just saying.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:31:37 PM

jjb8675309 said:
^yeah what I found in the dell is that all the individual cables are bound to a plastic bracket that plugged in its own special way, unlike a normal aftermarket case where the plugs are all indivudual, and I didn't feel like redoing all the wires with new individual connectors, in your case it might have been a lot less complicated then my scenario im just saying.

It took a while, but finding where the wires plug in from the orig case and mimmicking it with the individual plugs is the way to take care of that
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:36:26 PM

I dont think you quite understanding but oh well the wires themselves would have to be restripped and you would need to add indivdual connectors and all that bs, I understand what your saying in that it could be done I just didnt want to mess with it so we kept the original case and did a couple mods for airflow, it was a nicer dell case.

Anyways for the OP it just sounds like he should ziptie a little fan and hope for the best!?

personally I would look into returning the gpu for a double slot one along with getting the fan, that is if your not going to get a new case, doing so would def be worth it imo
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 7:41:35 PM

jjb8675309 said:
I dont think you quite understanding but oh well the wires themselves would have to be restripped and you would need to add indivdual connectors and all that bs, I understand what your saying in that it could be done I just didnt want to mess with it so we kept the original case and did a couple mods for airflow, it was a nicer dell case.

Anyways for the OP it just sounds like he should ziptie a little fan and hope for the best!?

personally I would look into returning the gpu for a double slot one along with getting the fan, that is if your not going to get a new case, doing so would def be worth it imo

im not talking about modifying the old case wires, im talking about finding which plug goes where by referencing it. I know the exact issue you are talkign about i have ran into it a couple times on a different machines and the answer to it is to find out what plug goes where. all I had to do was look at the old power plug and then look at which one went where in the old case. it was perty simple. Back on track with the OP's issue, get a new case if you can, and if not, add some intake and exhaust fans - it will drastically improve your situation
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2011 8:38:32 PM

Cable management, add a rear exhaust fan and lose the CPU "cone".
August 1, 2011 11:23:48 AM

Okay guys, heres the bottom line. I told my dad that I think its better to buy a case for several reasons - and also long term reasons - however he still insists that we should not buy a case. Whatever he says stands and really is just out of my hands... The annoying thing is that it's not a financial issue... if my Dad thinks something is a bad idea and disagrees with it, he won't put a penny towards it...

So, i'm most likely going to buy two 80mm fans. One which will intake air across the graphics card from the side, and one which will exhaust air from above the graphics card in hope that this will increase air flow. I'm most likely going to get shouted at for getting a fan blowing air from the side onto the GPU... since my all knowing father disagreed with that too.

At the moment it's really just a matter of my Dad thinks he knows everything regarding these computer issues, for example telling me I don't need any intake fans and that a new case with more air flow & better cable management won't make a difference. He started shouting at me because my 5770 went upto 80'C during a game and claiming that its too close to boiling point and therefore the card will burn lol, and when I told him cards can withstand upto 120'C and theyre designed to run 80'C fine, he begged to differ.

So basically, an 80mm exhaust on the back above the GPU since hot air rises. An 80mm zip tied onto the side to blow air onto the GPU. I'm unsure whether I should get rid of the CPU "cone" or not?! Anyone care to shed some light on this? Also, i'm thinking of not getting a PCI fan which exhausts, simply because as you guys have told me it will fight with the GPUs fan for air, and also the cold air which is being blown onto the GPU from the side fan, will just end up being exhausted back out by the PCI so I think there's no need for it really.

I should be going to the shop in an hour or two. Are we all agreed that I should just buy two 80mm fans and neglect the PCI? =)

August 1, 2011 2:38:40 PM

I'd say don't bother with the exhaust yet, as your PSU acts as one (it has a 120mm fan). As to removing the cone i don't know, i'd be inclined to leave it for now and see how things work out.
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2011 2:49:03 PM

metal orient said:
I'd say don't bother with the exhaust yet, as your PSU acts as one (it has a 120mm fan). As to removing the cone i don't know, i'd be inclined to leave it for now and see how things work out.

Yes, get an exhaust, the PSU has its own cooling system and doesnt need to be sucking in hot air from the gpu billowing in the case. The best thing in your situation is do as you have planed, get rid of the cone, and get your two fans going, make the best out of your plight
!