High end AMD gaming rig

RockyTF2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy the following parts and have them assembled for me. Can I please get your professional opinions on this build? I've spent about 3 hours adjusting it. I plan to OC ALOT and buy additional fans.
I've got room to spend more. (Please note the dual GFX cards)
http://iforce.co.nz/i/ayjqj13e.35u.png

(Prices are NZ, i.e they look more expensive) :bounce:

In a few days time , probably on the 12th of October AMD will be releasing new processors to replace the phenom line .
These are code named Bulldozer and some models are shipping already . It would be unwise to invest a lot in a phenom now , and especially a phenom x6 that doesnt game better than an X4 .
If you have to build it now then use a phenom 955 x4 .

Im not a fan of water coolers . A big air cooler is a better choice usually .
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3951/corsair_hydro_series_h60_high_performance_liquid_cpu_cooler_review/index7.html
You can buy an air cooler for half as much that performs better and is quieter .

The black -UD3 motherboard is worth the price difference .

Also consider using nVidia cards in SLI . A recent test on this site compared SLI and crossfire and found that the crossfire set ups were prone to stuttering you could notice .
Or better still just use one stronger card . Possibly a GTX 570 ?

The modular psu is a nice unit . But you are paying a lot extra and there is plenty of room in your case so modular is not that useful

Also check
www.pricespy.co.nz
none of those prices look really good .

ariscov

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I also recomend a single strong card. I have dual 6850's and they stutter a bit. Not too much, as a single one can run quite well, but i do notice the stuttering sometimes.
I'm also against water cooling... but some people love it.

So i say, save yourself money, lose maybe 15% performance and get a GTX 570. Then get another in the future if you need to.

Again, as outlander said, wait till Bulldozer release. If you are intent on using AMD, then you might wanna get a bulldozer. But on its release, things will start to go down in price, including Intel products.

And i sugges staying with newegg, or Tigerdirect. I looked at pricespy and they say a 2500k is 290$? Newegg has tem listed for 219.. but maybe its just that..

Happy building! :)

RockyTF2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

As I said, it is new zealand pricing. It is alot cheaper than you think it is.
Thanks for the advice so far guys!

Also, what the hell are you guys talking about? The 6850 trumps alot of the 570's aspects and has less than half the price! Shouldn't 2 6850's severely rip a single 570 to shreads while still costing less?

ariscov

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Oh the 570 here (America) is only 350$. And i bought my 2 6850's for 400$. While the 6850 while crossfired IS better. about 15% better. But once you have crossfired 6850's, to upgrade you will need to scrap them and get totally new cards. But honestly, i see more games are being more optimized so you require less powerful graphics cards :bounce:

ariscov

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

It wasn't as good in general though.(i upgraded FROM a 570) The performance was better with 6850's, but the stuttering was an issue that drove me mad sometimes. Though it wasnt as often as alot of people claim. But i would still suggest a 570 because gives you more upgrade room.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I give a big "me too" to the advice about the cooler. Think about it---the heat has to go somewhere. In both water and air rigs, it first goes into a metal plate on the CPU. From there, you have to move it away from the chip and dissipate it. The exchanger on a top-notch air cooler is bigger than the one on your water cooler. The specs bear me out.

dokod

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Um, I found a site with the supposed benchmarks for the new bulldozer cpu's and to be honest....it sounds to be GARBAGE! It compares to the 2500k and 2600k, and with the expected price drop in 2600k's and the realease of the 2700k, i would wait .... but not for AMD.

ariscov

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

er... I don't know where you are finding these results, cause i sure can't find any, but it is 1.) Much cheaper than the Intel products. 2.) SUPPOSED to run faster and smarter than the intel sandy bridges and 3.) Of course it's not gonna compare to the Ivy Bridge (2700k i think), But its also gonna be like 1k$.

There are no bulldozer benchmarks except those that have been faked .
If having comparable power to a 2500k or 2600k is "garbage " you are probably buying your processors from the alien mothership and we'd all like to know if you can get a supply for us

dokod

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I figured that that the bench's where faked. We can only wait to see how they preform when they are actually released. If there are as big as they are hyped, I think I should delay on my new build. I hope they have better gaming performance than the phenom's. It is not a long wait, so all of those building, it would be safe to wait a couple of weeks and get a cpu that is possibly "the best bang for your buck".