Sign in with
Your question

Sharing a Dial Up Connection

Last response: in Networking
April 3, 2005 6:23:33 PM

Hi guys..I am having trouble getting a straight snaswer as to what hardware I truly need to enable internet and file sharing between a desktop PC with a dial-up connection and my laptop PC with G Wi-Fi. Some say I need a router..others say all I need is a wireless G card for the desktop. I didn't even know that it was even possible until recently. I just want a easier way to update my virus/updates than having to plug in a phone line into my laptop each time. Is a router necessary? The PC is running WinXp Pro and the Laptop has XP Home. Thanks for any help!!!
April 4, 2005 2:02:14 AM

The easiest way that I know would work would be this kind of a setup:
internet-dialupmodem-desktopPC-network card in pc-network switch-wireless ap-laptop
You "might" be able to do an adhoc wireless connection between your pc and notebook (wouldn't need of switch or ap) but I'm not sure how ICS would like that. Having not done an adhoc network myself I can't really tell you much about it. If you have a very tight budget I'd look into that. If you can afford a couple extra pieces of hardware go for the switch/ap route. That would also allow for aditional computers to share the internet connection later if needbe.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
!