Sign in with
Your question

Same domain for internal and external

Last response: in Networking
November 7, 2010 10:37:29 PM

Hello,
I have a domain controller setup with an internal domain of test.com and an external domain of test.com. My ip address's are all dynamic so I use no-ip to keep them updated all the time. In no-ip I have a host x.test.com that is used for a website. How do I tell my dns server to forward any query for x.test.com to my isp's dns servers to resolve the ip from no-ip's dns servers?
November 8, 2010 12:49:55 PM

Did you register test.com as a valid website? I'm guessing this was already taken prior to your testing.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2010 11:25:10 AM

yes i already registered the domain and host. I guess I would just point www.test.com to my internal ip address for the web server?
m
l
November 15, 2010 4:01:26 PM

assign a static IP to your web server and do a port forward of port 80 to that IP
m
l
November 16, 2010 4:56:11 PM

If you have a DC running, you have DNS running. Create a record pointing www.test.com to the internal IP address of that website.

I'm doubting you registered and are hosting www.test.com on the internet. With that, the methods Emerald and I suggested will fit your testing needs.
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:19:05 AM

I do have the host www.test.com registered with no-ip. I want an internal client to query my isp's dns servers when they try to get to www.test.com.
m
l
November 18, 2010 6:21:32 PM

Your ISP is going to use registered IP addresses and websites. You said yourself that you have www.test.com registered without an IP address. Therefore your ISP will not be able to find the website.

You would need to register the website name with an IP address. I would recommend that you register a website with a unique name. Many people use their last name if they want it for professional reasons.

The name doesn't mean much, it is the public IP address that is registered in DNS that is required.
m
l
!