Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabit Wireless Router recommendation

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 14, 2011 8:33:57 PM

Hello all,

My current wireless router, a D-Link DGL-4300, is driving me a little nuts by frequently dropping out the wireless 'service'.
Its to the point where I'm looking to scrap it and investigate a new router with some advice from the experts here.
I have pretty good understanding of the technology, but it would take more time than I have right now to fully 'absorb' the
product line for the big players. The forum should have experience with a wider amout of product :) 

I've been fine with 802.11g, but would take the opportunity to go 'n'. A gigabit switch is a necessity. Well organized and
supported 'stock' firmware would be nice, but I would also like a router with Open source firmware (DD-WRT/Tomato/etc.)
support. If the stock firmware support trails off, I like having the open source community :)  Flash and RAM size large enough
to support a standard or greater DD-WRT binary would be a plus. A wireless 'Guest' VLAN would be a big plus.

I'm trying to keep the price below $125 (I got the 4300 for $80 in some crazy Cyber Monday sale a few years ago),
but realize deals like that don't always come along :)  I've looked at the Linksys E2000 and Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS so far.
The D-Link DGL-4500 was also looked at, but since my 4300 is having issues and was discontinued a year+ ago, it feels a little
aged. Let me know if there are any other feedback on these or other routers.

Thanks!!!

Jason
February 15, 2011 12:17:20 AM

e2000
m
l
February 15, 2011 5:41:13 PM

Anyone with experience with the Asus RT-N16? Its showing up at Amazon for $77 shipped.

802.11n (Amazon write up claims draft-n) single band (2.4G) radio, Open Source support, 32MB Flash, 128MB RAM, 2 USB for print or storage.

I just saw Newegg has the E2000 for $70 with a $10 gift card. No print server... but that's looking pretty attractive...

Emerald, is there any reasons you would like to highlight on why the E2000 is the way to go? I like the idea of the dual-band, but most of my devices would be on the 2.4G side anyway. The guest network is on my 'want' list. Gigabit switch is on my 'need' list. The Asus RT-N16 above appears to have 4 times the Flash and RAM (for USB support?). I like knowing the descision making methodology :) 

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 15, 2011 9:24:25 PM

The E2000 was listed in two tests as the fastest router. The router will only do either 2.4GHz or 5GHZ but not both at the same time.

If you like the ASUS, you should upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT to run more stable. Even ASUS tech support recommends to do so on their website.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
February 19, 2011 2:18:50 AM

In a little stroke of luck, I came across a deal from the Linksys/Cisco store on a refurb E2000 for about $40. At that price, it doesn't hurt to try... Good performance reports from Emerald, 802.11n, VLAN, DD-WRT/Tomato support...

Is the stock firmware rough enough where its just better off to immediately go to DD-WRT? The quick look I made at the DD-WRT wiki page sounded like only certain builds had the VLAN/Guest support. This is a feature I'm looking forward to... any experiences would be great. Thanks again!
m
l
February 19, 2011 2:20:01 AM

Best answer selected by jpmucha.
m
l
!