Gigabit Wireless Router recommendation

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hello all,

My current wireless router, a D-Link DGL-4300, is driving me a little nuts by frequently dropping out the wireless 'service'.
Its to the point where I'm looking to scrap it and investigate a new router with some advice from the experts here.
I have pretty good understanding of the technology, but it would take more time than I have right now to fully 'absorb' the
product line for the big players. The forum should have experience with a wider amout of product :)

I've been fine with 802.11g, but would take the opportunity to go 'n'. A gigabit switch is a necessity. Well organized and
supported 'stock' firmware would be nice, but I would also like a router with Open source firmware (DD-WRT/Tomato/etc.)
support. If the stock firmware support trails off, I like having the open source community :) Flash and RAM size large enough
to support a standard or greater DD-WRT binary would be a plus. A wireless 'Guest' VLAN would be a big plus.

I'm trying to keep the price below $125 (I got the 4300 for $80 in some crazy Cyber Monday sale a few years ago),
but realize deals like that don't always come along :) I've looked at the Linksys E2000 and Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS so far.
The D-Link DGL-4500 was also looked at, but since my 4300 is having issues and was discontinued a year+ ago, it feels a little
aged. Let me know if there are any other feedback on these or other routers.

Thanks!!!

Jason

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Anyone with experience with the Asus RT-N16? Its showing up at Amazon for $77 shipped.

802.11n (Amazon write up claims draft-n) single band (2.4G) radio, Open Source support, 32MB Flash, 128MB RAM, 2 USB for print or storage.

I just saw Newegg has the E2000 for $70 with a $10 gift card. No print server... but that's looking pretty attractive...

Emerald, is there any reasons you would like to highlight on why the E2000 is the way to go? I like the idea of the dual-band, but most of my devices would be on the 2.4G side anyway. The guest network is on my 'want' list. Gigabit switch is on my 'need' list. The Asus RT-N16 above appears to have 4 times the Flash and RAM (for USB support?). I like knowing the descision making methodology :)

Thanks again!

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
In a little stroke of luck, I came across a deal from the Linksys/Cisco store on a refurb E2000 for about $40. At that price, it doesn't hurt to try... Good performance reports from Emerald, 802.11n, VLAN, DD-WRT/Tomato support...

Is the stock firmware rough enough where its just better off to immediately go to DD-WRT? The quick look I made at the DD-WRT wiki page sounded like only certain builds had the VLAN/Guest support. This is a feature I'm looking forward to... any experiences would be great. Thanks again!