Need a midsize case recommendation

tibbles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I'm putting together a new work system for my father and could use some case recommendations.

Budget: Flexible, but around $50 - $100
Requirements:
-ATX mid tower - He uses too many slots to go matx, but full tower is too big
-Quiet - Doesn't need to be silent, but definitely can't be loud
-Decent cooling - I'm planning to OC, but not really overvolt. Willing to give up some performance here for quiet
-Not look like a gamer case - You know what I mean
-3 5.25" bays - Yes, he uses 3
-1+ USB 3.0 ports

I haven't picked specific parts for it yet, but to give an idea of what will probably be inside:
atx board
I5-2500K w/ 3rd party heatsink/fan
2*4gigs RAM
cheap video card - the machine does sometimes double as a media player
dvd burner
1 SSD
2 internal hard drives
2 more internal dives mounted in removable drive cages - eventually I'll get him to change to real external drives :)

Related question - Power supply size? I'm thinking 300ish from a good brand?
Like: SeaSonic SS-350ET Bronze 350W ATX12V V2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

Thanks

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
922 I'd definitely put in the "gamer" category for looks.

Try the CM 690 II Advanced $89.99. It does have a front blue LED that sits behind the 120mm fan, but I'm 90% sure it can be switched off.

Overall one of the better sub-100 cases out there. Dust filters, Tool-Less design, great airflow, wire managment and the new models are shipping with USB 3.0 front ports.

If it's a little too pricey the next best option would be the Antec 300 Illusion at 69.99. It's also a great case but lacks some of the refinement of the 690 II.

tibbles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hmm, I was looking at the R3 earlier today, I'd heard good things, but Anandtech's review showed it out of the box as only medium quiet for poor cooling, which was disappointing.

The 690 specs on newegg look promising, I'll have to Google some numerical reviews once I get back home.

The CM690II does have a switch to turn off front leds.
It's not loud but my 902 is quieter and has more fans mounted.
I have a CM690II = great case.
I replaced my Antec 300 with it = built my Dad a rig in the 300.
The 300 is actually quiet imo.
The CM690II will be shipped with USB 3.0 versions very soon.

tibbles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Know anything about the NZXT 210 Elite?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146078

It's cheap, has usb3, clean lines, and the right size. The total lack of a front fan grill strikes me as a little odd though. It lists optional front fan, but no grill?

I'm using a NZXT Tempest from like 4 years ago and really like it, though the reviews I've read for some of their newer cases have been really disappointing.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Gets decent reviews. Just keep in mind that with the HDD cages you'll only have 230mm (9in) in clearance for gpus. While this will work for budget cards, most gaming cards today are in excess of 10".

It also only ships with a single rear exhaust fan which isn't ample for cooling today's systems effectively. This isn't a huge deal as you can pick up Yate Loons for about 4 bucks a pop and they destroy 95% of fans stuck in even high end cases.

I often recommend it as a solid budget case.
Only things lacking are filters and a front fan,otherwise it offers alot(Usb3.0/140mm top exhaust) for the price imo.