digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hey Guys,

I wanted to get your opinion on what actions I should take to resolve an issue I'm having with a computer that I built about a year ago.

My gaming system pooped on itself about 6 months ago and because of the job I've just recently had time to start troubleshooting what the issue is. I believe the board went bad. When i turn it on, all it does is power up for about 2 seconds and then shuts itself down and loops itself in a continuous cycle until I unplug it from the wall. I pulled it apart the other night and tested most of the parts that were in it against a known working system and all those were fine. The only parts that I couldnt test were the board and the CPU because I dont have an extra of either sitting around the house. I did have a decent overclock on the processor (2500K @ 4.2 Ghz) but when i pulled it off last night there were no scorch marks on it which lead me to believe that it has not gone bad. It was liquid cooled and never got above 50C so didn't have an overheating problem.

Right now I'm on a crutch system that i put together using spare parts that I had lying around the house. Core2Duo@3.6 Ghz, 4 Gb of Ram, 560Ti, Etc. I need to get my other system back online because my current one is so much slower.

My question is should I try the RMA process with Gigabyte or should I just purchase a new board. What does it sound like to you guys that might be the underlying issue? And what kind of experance have you guys had with RMA processes and things I should be warry of.

Well guys sorry about the long explination and thanks in advance for the help.

Rob

chugot9218

Honorable
Post your system specs, could be the MOBO at the root of it but I also suspect the PSU, a constant reboot cycle is usually a heat or power problem (gets too hot and restarts or does not receive the proper voltage and fails and retries).

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
System Specs:

CoreI5 2500K@4.0 Ghz , 8 Gb G.skill DDR3, Gigabyte P67 Board (Not sure the model... work internet access won't let me login to check) 2x nvidia GTX 560Ti, 750W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU, RC932 Case.

I have tried setting up the Mobo on 3 or 4 different PSUs and still nothing. Does the same as it was doing. I'm pretty sure its the mobo. I have to look for the plastic cover for the cpu socket. I'm not wanting to have gigabyte call me back saying the pins are bent on the socket. I've heard alot about that happening.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty sure the mobo went out due to a power surge at the house while I was at sea. No big deal.

Rob