Performance of CPU i7 2600 vs 2600K vs i7 2500K?

Hello everyone,
I've got the passmark of the 3 CPUs from the website below:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

PassMark - CPU Mark
High End CPUs - Updated 30th of December 2011

Processor PassMark CPU Mark Score Price (USD)

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz 10,067 $299.99*
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz 8,963 $295.98*
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz 7,470 $204.99*
Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30GHz 6,653 $188.99*

This is the Marks without overcloking?
Thanks in advance.
Henry
19 answers Last reply
More about performance 2600 2600k 2500k
  1. yes thats the passmark without oc

but passmark looks at more than cpu, the k models have 3000 graphics which boost the score.
  2. Don't lok at passmark, its a synthetic bench. I would get the 2600k if you do desktop applications such as photoshop and 3d work etc. IF you are just gaming, get the 2500k and within the next few years you can keep overclocking to keep up with the current gen cpu's.
  3. thks esrever
  4. "K" models are can be easily overclocked and also have the Intel HD 3000 graphics core.

Non "K" models have some built-in security to help protect specific areas of the RAM and hard disk where data is temporarily stored and it also makes it easier for an IT department to securely connect to your PC. This is more of a benefit for a corporation than it is for an individual. They also have the slower Intel HD 2000 graphics core.

If you are not going to overclock, then buy the non "K" version.

The i7 CPUs has Hyper Threading (HT) which means in addition to 4 physical cores, there are also 4 logical cores. This can help boost performance by 15% - 20% at most (depending on the program) if whatever program you use has been designed to use it. Games do not use HT... well actually I believe Battlefield 3 claims to support HT, but actual benchmarks showed when HT is enabled performance dropped by 2% - 3%.
  5. amuffin said:
    Don't lok at passmark, its a synthetic bench. I would get the 2600k if you do desktop applications such as photoshop and 3d work etc. IF you are just gaming, get the 2500k and within the next few years you can keep overclocking to keep up with the current gen cpu's.

Thks amuffin,
    At first, I got the idea the same as yours to OC the i5 2500K in the next yew years.
    Now, I think I'm not going to overclock the CPU maybe better. So I think I should get the i7 2600. Also, I use

- VGA card i.e. GTX560 Ti Hawk;
    - 16 GB RAM Gskill 1333;
    - Motherboard Gigabyte z68-xp-d3;
    - Antec EarthWatts 650W;
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/green-antec-earthwatts-650w-p-30765.html?sort=3a
    - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1;
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/761345-10145-antec-hundred-p-50136.html?sort=2a

Do you think I have enough PU and a good Case for this desktop?
    The cooler master case is only normal brand, should I go to an Antec case?
    Do I should get a third-party CPU cooler?
    I have 1 more question, I'm sure will the Storm Enforcer case gets USB 3.0 and can I upgrade a SSD in the future?

Thks in advance.
    Henry
  6. henry81 said:
    Thks amuffin,
    At first, I got the idea the same as yours to OC the i5 2500K in the next yew years.
    Now, I think I'm not going to overclock the CPU maybe better. So I think I should get the i7 2600. Also, I use

- 16 GB RAM Gskill 1333;
    - Motherboard Gigabyte z68-xp-d3;
    - Antec EarthWatts 650W;
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/green-antec-earthwatts-650w-p-30765.html?sort=3a
    - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1;
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/761345-10145-antec-hundred-p-50136.html?sort=2a

Do you think I have enough PU and a good Case for this desktop?
    The cooler master case is only normal brand, should I go to an Antec case?
    Do I should get a third-party CPU cooler?
    I have 1 more question, I'm sure will the Storm Enforcer case gets USB 3.0 and can I upgrade a SSD in the future?

Thks in advance.
    Henry

1st get a 2600k and don't oc it until a few years later.
  7. amuffin said:
    1st get a 2600k and don't oc it until a few years later.

Yeh, I think you got an idea. So how do you think about the Power unit, case and CPU cooler?
  8. Get a cooler master hyper 212 evo, and then try getting a 750w psu. Otherwise case is all personal preference, the storm enforcer is a good choice.
  9. I thought about the cooler master hyper 212 evo before. Do you think should I use a Antec or Cooler master 750W PSU? Because the price of antec one is a little higher.
  10. Can I use the 650W PSU if I get the CPU i7 2600?
  11. 650 is enough. you'd have no problem with going even lower as long as its a quality psu.
  12. Now I'm thinking about the durability & lifetime vibration and stabilization as well of the Case & PSU of cooler master brand. What do you think?
  13. esrever said:
    650 is enough. you'd have no problem with going even lower as long as its a quality psu.

you think it's enough for i7 2600 or 2600K?
  14. you can get an antec 550 watt psu if you are strapped for money as I think they are more reliable than coolermaster but either should do.

the case is all about preference, just look for one that looks nice and has good airflow. coolermaster cases are pretty good. there should be very little vibration as long as everything is installed properly.

the hyper 212 evo would be good. you should also get a gpu if you want to do any gaming but you can just use the HD 3000 inside the 2600k if you aren't.
  15. esrever said:
    you can get an antec 550 watt psu if you are strapped for money as I think they are more reliable than coolermaster but either should do.

the case is all about preference, just look for one that looks nice and has good airflow. coolermaster cases are pretty good. there should be very little vibration as long as everything is installed properly.

the hyper 212 evo would be good. you should also get a gpu if you want to do any gaming but you can just use the HD 3000 inside the 2600k if you aren't.

Just because I get a GPU & 16 RAM as below:
    - 16 GB RAM Gskill 1333;
  16. Im running my setup on an antec high current 620w psu.
  17. Thks amuffin,

I estimated is about 650W to OC 2500K & 2600K up to about 4.5GHz. So I'd better get the Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700W.
    I found this from the website as below, it is very useful:
    http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel