An old power supply and a new videocard

compote

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I've got an old power supply FSP500-60GLN. I use 2 molex > 6 pin connector to power a videocard, which leaves no free molex. I've had 8800gt and 250gts. The latter died a few days ago so I need to get a new one. I'm thinking of buying 560 ti or 460 although they both require 2 6 pin connectors, which I don't have. (only one) It's probably a bad idea but I wanna make sure. How about using a couple of splitters (MOLEX > MOLEX x2) to get 2 6 pin connectors for a videocard? :D

Or should I think about getting some other videocard? 550 ti maybe ? What's the best videocard I can get in my situation ? :)

I'm not going to buy a new power supply.

2,4 Duo
2 gb ram
Asus P5b-E
3 HDD SATA
DVD RW nec

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Never NEVER use 2 molex-to-6pins to power a graphic card!!!!! Since your graphic card needs 2x 6pins connectors, it does need a certain level of wattage. Using a single molex does provide only half the power a single 6pins connector can provide. So using 2 of these does cripple your graphic card and make it crash/freeze/reboot.

When looking for a graphic card, check if the manufacturer allows the use of these molex-to-6pins, or only one or not at all. It all depends on how many watts does consume the card. Usually they allow for only one or not at all.