Canon 350 and Photoshop

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 6, 2005 8:56:53 PM

A friend had just bought a 350D . I have a 300D and we are keen to
compare image quality. However, it seems that the RAW CR2 format used by
the 350 does not work in Photoshop.
I have downloaded the latest 2.4 Camera Raw and it still doesn't work!!!
Is this why Canon are not supplying Photoshop Elements with the 350?
Does anyone have a 'fix' please?

Mike

More about : canon 350 photoshop

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:56:54 PM

>it seems that the RAW CR2 format used by
>the 350 does not work in Photoshop.
>I have downloaded the latest 2.4 Camera Raw and it still doesn't
>work!!!

They add support for new cameras a few weeks to months after the
cameras are out, since each camera is a bit different. V 2.4 of Camera
Raw must not support the 350, so you'll need to wait for V 2.5. You
can still do the RAW conversion using the Canon software and then
compare results in Photoshop.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:56:54 PM

Mike Garbett wrote:

> A friend had just bought a 350D . I have a 300D and we are keen to
> compare image quality. However, it seems that the RAW CR2 format used by
> the 350 does not work in Photoshop.
> I have downloaded the latest 2.4 Camera Raw and it still doesn't work!!!
> Is this why Canon are not supplying Photoshop Elements with the 350?
> Does anyone have a 'fix' please?

Did Canon provide any software with the 350D to allow you to convert
CR2 to JPEG or TIFF ?

If they did supply suitable software then why not use that ?
April 6, 2005 8:56:54 PM

> Mike Garbett writes ...
>
>I suspected it was a case of waiting for the upgrade but had been told

>that the 20D used CR2 and assumed the 350D version would be the same.

They use the same .cr2 suffix (like the 1D Mark II) but the colors are
a bit different so they need a new tone curve for the 350D. You could
probably hack the ACR plug-in like people once did with the D60 to work
with the 10D and it would recognize the files and create output but the
colors would likely be off.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:14:53 PM

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:56:53 +0100, Mike Garbett wrote:

> A friend had just bought a 350D . I have a 300D and we are keen to
> compare image quality. However, it seems that the RAW CR2 format used by
> the 350 does not work in Photoshop.
> I have downloaded the latest 2.4 Camera Raw and it still doesn't work!!!
> Is this why Canon are not supplying Photoshop Elements with the 350?
> Does anyone have a 'fix' please?

The "fix" is to wait until the next release of ACR which will most probably
support it. ACR is good but you can't expect it to support cameras that
don't exist at the time of its release.

--
John Bean

Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called
electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been
drinking (Dave Barry)
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 10:51:53 PM

In article <11586a9okodrv0c@news.supernews.com>, Jim Townsend
<not@real.address> writes
>Mike Garbett wrote:
>
>> A friend had just bought a 350D . I have a 300D and we are keen to
>> compare image quality. However, it seems that the RAW CR2 format used by
>> the 350 does not work in Photoshop.
>> I have downloaded the latest 2.4 Camera Raw and it still doesn't work!!!
>> Is this why Canon are not supplying Photoshop Elements with the 350?
>> Does anyone have a 'fix' please?
>
>Did Canon provide any software with the 350D to allow you to convert
>CR2 to JPEG or TIFF ?
>
>If they did supply suitable software then why not use that ?

Thanks for the replies......

I suspected it was a case of waiting for the upgrade but had been told
that the 20D used CR2 and assumed the 350D version would be the same.

Yes, Canon do provide software for conversion but it would be nice to be
able to manipulate exposure and white balance in photoshop for similar
images from the two cameras.

Guess I'll just have to have patience!!!!

Mike Garbett
!