Sign in with
Your question

My first build. PLEASE HELP!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2011 12:01:02 AM

I just built my first PC with an ASUS P67/Intel i7. I fired it up for the first time and in the BIOS EZ utility it said that my CPU temp was extremely high. All the fans including the CPU fan are working in the case. The heat sink that came with the processor was already prepared with thermal paste. I ignored this (perhaps ignorantly, as I assumed this was just some glitch) and continued on to install Windows 7. I got so far in the Windows install until it prompted me to install the drivers for the hard drive. It's a new Seagate SATA hard drive. I put in the DVD included with the hard drive but Windows did not recognize any drivers. I tried the ASUS DVD as well with no luck... I removed the heatsink/fan from the CPU to reseat it. I then discovered that the thermal paste had left a residue on the processor and after some research learned that I now need to clean this off and apply new paste before reseating the heatsink... Any help here would be most welcome. I'm totally lost. I'm not sure why the temp of the CPU was maxed out and why I can't install Windows. BTW, I cancelled the Windows install after the drivers weren't recognized. Now when I insert the DVD it doesn't load at all. HELP! PLEASE! or what kind of info do you need from me to help you help me!

More about : build

a c 186 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 12:02:55 AM

What were the temps and what power supply?
m
l
December 31, 2011 12:51:51 AM

I can't try and reboot at this point to check the temps until i find some thermal paste to reseat the CPU. I know that it was almost maxed out on the scale shown in the EZ BIOS. over 100 degrees F. The PSU is a new 750 Watt.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 12:58:54 AM

100F is really low.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 1:07:52 AM

100c or 100f :lol:  also getting an aftermarket cooler such as a cooler master hyper 212 evo would be a good option.
m
l
December 31, 2011 3:26:01 AM

is it possible that this was some glitch and the cpu temp was fine? there was never any forced shut down?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 4:33:40 AM

lol 100f is low dude idk what to tell ya about the other stuff tho
m
l
December 31, 2011 7:47:55 AM

For the time being try re-seating the cpu.The remaining paste on the cpu and heatsink should be enough for a trial run.Just make sure the heatsink is tightly pressed against the cpu.To do this press the push buttons as hard as possible but don't push too hard to break it.This should be enough to install windows.Later you may apply new paste and re-seat the HSF.
If its asus p8p67 rev b3 then you would also need a bios update to get a stable temperature.
Also to boot from dvd you need to change the boot options to DVDRW form bios.And you don't need a drive to install hdd.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 12:51:48 PM

clear cmos by jumper or cmos switch (see manual)
then restart your pc (after installation of heatsink) and load default profile or optimised default in bios.
m
l
December 31, 2011 8:23:13 PM

Ok. I applied some new thermal paste on the heatsink and reseated the CPU. The temp issue seems to be OK. I didn't get any overheat error. I went into the EZ BIOS and thought that I had correctly changed the boot order to the DVD being first. I reset these changes and restarted and now I only get this error "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl,alt,delete to restart" and then it just goes back to this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 8:29:19 PM

put boot order in:
dvd drive
primary hard drive
secondary hard drive

you shouldn't need to install drivers for a sata drive. just boot up into the bios and it should as you for an OS and then you put windows in there. if you still can't do it, format your harddrive. actually format the hard drive first.
m
l
December 31, 2011 8:49:25 PM

I can't get into the BIOS? it goes straight to this "BOOTMGR is missing" error when I start the computer. how do I get to the BIOS?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 8:50:49 PM

disconnect all the sata devices and try and start it up. see what heppens.
m
l
December 31, 2011 9:34:03 PM

With the hard drive disconnected i'm able to get to BIOS and the error message disappears. the drive is a brand new seagate. i'm able to start the windows install from another drive that i didn't want to install the OP to. Is there something wrong with the new drive? does it need to be formatted? how would I do that if the computer isn't recognizing it?
m
l
January 1, 2012 2:18:32 AM

Send the drive for RMA.It's a faulty one.
m
l
January 1, 2012 8:54:02 PM

i exchanged the drive for a Western Digital SATA. same thing. at a certain point in the windows 7 install it asks for hard drive drivers and gets stuck there. And then when that happens the only way for me to get back into the BIOS is if I unplug the SATA devices which are the DVD and drive. I cannot configure a boot order if i can't get into the BIOS with the SATA devices recognized?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2012 9:13:25 PM

make sure the dvd drive is pluged into sata port 0 and the hard drive is pluged into sata port 1.

install your motherboard drivers and bios first with the motherboard CD. then install windows and make sure you select the right drive to instal it to.
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:22:19 PM

there is one SATA 6.0 plug that the manual says is for data drives only. then there are 2 more SATA 6.0 plugs set to AHCI mode. and then 4 more SATA 3.0 plugs for hard drives/optical drives. i don't see where any of these are number 0 and 1?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2012 9:31:01 PM

they should be ordered somehow. and don't bother using the 6.0. just plug them all into the 3.0 slots and see if it works.

if you can't find the order then forget it.
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:33:48 PM

When i load the ASUS motherboard DVD from the BIOS it asks to insert my formatted Floppy to a:/?
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:42:56 PM

same thing. straight to bootmgr missing error. i don't know how to change the boot order if i can't get into the BIOS with the devices plugged.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2012 9:47:11 PM

might just be the hard drive incompatibility. very strange tho.

whats the first screen that pops up when you try to boot up?
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:55:28 PM

both of the drives i have tried are brand new 1TB/7500rpm. A Seagate and Western Digital. Same thing happened with both. With devices connected when i first boot it asks for boot media to be inserted (does not go into BIOS). The Windows 7 install begins and stalls after a couple steps. At that point i'm no longer able to install Windows and it goes straight to the Bootmgr error and the only way to get into BIOS is with devices unplugged. upon restart straight to error again, etc...
m
l
January 1, 2012 10:19:16 PM

the DVD drive is the older IDE connector with a SATA adapter for the motherboard if that could make any difference?
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:59:19 AM

just buy a ready built pc, may cost more but it saves having to deal with the building
m
l
!