What should i Overclock?

What should I overclock? Processor/ram/videocard? What 1 of these would be first to cause a bottleneck? Geared more toward gaming. (Battlefield 2142) Thank you in advanced ;)

AMD athlon II x2 240 2.80 ghz
2 Kingston 1 gig DDR2 pc-5200 333mhz 5-5-5-15-20 2T
Sapphire HD 5770 850/1200
7 answers Last reply
More about what overclock
  1. Overclock your 5770 using MSI After Burner. If you notice artifacts in your games, lower the overclock.
  2. ok, core or mem? And thanks for the reply.
  3. Overclock you Cpu too! that thing is your biggest bottleneck. what res. do you play at ?
  4. I was thinking it was my cpu :) I was playing at 1280x1020 or whatever. now im playing at 1600x1400. No change in fps when I switched. ;) So from what i understand, if theres no change in fps, then its more than likly my cpu?
  5. You should be able to update to a phenom ii x2 555 for around $80 perhaps and try to unlock it to quad core. If you can, the Phenom II x 955 can be had for around $120 alone. No guarantee but it's good performance already so it's not a big deal. When i overclock with MSI Afterburner I push everything up by small increments. I think core clock gives the most gain. Hope this helps you.
  6. if your running win vista or win 7, upgrade your ram to 4gb. Im not sure if you can unlock a cpu core with your current cpu? your motherboard must support this feature. I think you should concentrate on the cpu as its your main bottleneck.
  7. Thanks for the info. I'll look into those processors with a mobo which can unlock the core. My current mobo does not. Whats an ok motherboard to unlock these cores with? I'm running win xp so I think I may be good on my ram.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Overclocking Graphics