Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Win7 Boot Install USB on WinXP

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2012 8:04:09 PM

*Build Info Bellow*
Help!
I am trying to build a new Asus P9x79 Pro and install Win7 from USB, and all of the instructions i've found talk about using DISKPART for creating the boot USB partitions and making that partition "active". But on my crappy old WinXP system (mainly Macs over here now) it won't recognize the USB in DISKPART because it's "removable" media.

I found this one tool named MBRWizardthat runs in XP and will let me list the drive, select it and set it to "active". So it all looks correct now. (1 partition, active, fat-32) I've copied the entire Win7 DVD onto the USB and copied the RST Raid drivers, but the Asus won't let me boot from the USB. "Unable to Boot from Drive" is all it says.

Help! How can I get the Asus to recognize the USB as a boot disk? What am I missing? Is there another way to get the USB bood drive working?

Build Info:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full (32/64-bit)

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 9:05:31 PM

Option 1: On XP try this DiskPart.exe from Microsoft - http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/...

Option 2: Alternatively, you can boot off the Windows 7 DVD and use the Command Prompt; see - http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/fe... then run DiskPart and create a bootable USB, exit then copy the Windows's 7 files and the 'RAID' drivers per my Guide.

Then follow this Guide for RAID installation on your ASUS X79 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...
New installation skip Step 1 (A & B), & Step 2 (B)
October 19, 2012 9:40:54 PM

Option #1: i'll give it a try now.

Option #2: It's an older Pentium processer that is not supported by Win7, it won't even let me boot from the disk.
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 9:50:29 PM

Option 3: Otherwise install Windows 7 (F5 AHCI mode) on one of the HDD's long enough to create a USB Flash Drive installer. I assume you're going to RAID 5 or 10 the 4x1TB's and everything will be erased anyway and there's no need to register (Activate) Windows until 30 days...

Option 4: If for some odd reason that bugs you then borrow someone's PC (Vista or higher) or go to e.g. Best Buy (PC Shop) and create the installer.
October 19, 2012 11:33:46 PM

Option 1 did not work, XP DiskPart just can't see that USB flash drive because it's removable.

Option 2 will not work.

Option 3 i'm investigating now. I wanted to put the optical on the Marvell controller last and not have to deal with extra peripherals during the install. But I might just have to hook it up to one of my SATA-II ports for now and throw in one of my SATA-III HDD to get Win7 up and running. Then make the USB boot disk, then remove the optical and the HDD's, replace with the SDD, wash, rinse, repete.

Option 4 maybe, I had a friend bring over his laptop but he forgot the power cable. If I don't have it solved by the weekend, that's my next try.

Option 5 still trying the windows usb/boot disk maker and other 3rd party tools on XP to see if it can work.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 11:58:40 PM

Option 2 was to be booted off the X79 new PC and then copy the files on the XP machine.
October 20, 2012 7:59:16 AM

Okay, I got it to boot up now using Option 2 as you suggested! I had to use 'xcopy' in WinXP for some reason, but now I get a blue Win7 install screen from my USB.

Now i'm stuck again on steps 3A/3B. I've copied the latest RST package "V3.2.0.1126_20120801_WHQL" (Drivers/Install) to a top level directory called "Raid" on the Win7 USB. But in the Win7 installer when I browse for the drivers in the disk (mount "X:Boot") I can't see that Raid directory to actually load the drivers. I tried to copy the drivers to a folder that was showing up in the Win7 boot installer, still not there. Is there something i'm missing about how to do this step?

Thanks Jaquith!
October 20, 2012 8:45:04 AM

Figured it out, you have to set the intended boot target disk as the primary in the BIOS first prioritized ahead of the USB boot disk. Then reboot. Then go back to the BIOS and I did a force boot from from the USB straight from the BIOS window and now it sees the full disk so I can install the drivers.
October 20, 2012 8:45:39 AM

Best answer selected by bigpoppavfx.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 20, 2012 12:43:59 PM

bigpoppavfx said:
Figured it out, you have to set the intended boot target disk as the primary in the BIOS first prioritized ahead of the USB boot disk. Then reboot. Then go back to the BIOS and I did a force boot from from the USB straight from the BIOS window and now it sees the full disk so I can install the drivers.

That can be done during the F8 boot selection as I recall there's several partitions that come-up and it's not intuitive which one to select and it's typically the second not the first.

Most importantly, Congratulations! :sol: 
!