DELL XPS T450 upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2011 1:07:45 AM

whats the highest upgrade cpu can i install for dell xps t450
ive heard 1ghz , im running 450mhz

More about : dell xps t450 upgrade

a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 1:17:22 AM

can't even tell what that thing has inside so Im just gonna say you'd probably be better off buying something new as an upgrade would be pointless.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 1:30:34 AM

Are you sure you have the right model and number because when I looked up on Dell's website nothing came up. I can't tell you anything about it and I can't find it so I can't tell you if its worth it to keep it or get a new computer. Depending on the internals it might be best just to buy a new computer.

EDIT* Is this computer from the late 90's? If so it probably has a Pentium 2 or 3 CPU. Like I said if this is the right information on your model it is so old you would be better off getting something new.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2011 1:32:03 AM

esrever said:
can't even tell what that thing has inside so Im just gonna say you'd probably be better off buying something new as an upgrade would be pointless.

the cpu is acpi\genuineintel x86 family 6 model 7\ 0
the mother board is se440bx-3

yes, i plan on getting new computer eventually, this is sort of a guinea pig project on building
m
l
December 31, 2011 1:36:45 AM

rds1220 said:
Are you sure you have the right model and number because when I looked up on Dell's website nothing came up. I can't tell you anything about it and I can't find it so I can't tell you if its worth it to keep it or get a new computer. Depending on the internals it might be best just to buy a new computer.

EDIT* Is this computer from the late 90's? If so it probably has a Pentium 2 or 3 CPU. Like I said if this is the right information on your model it is so old you would be better off getting something new.

its a pentium 3 acpi\genuineintel x86 family 6 model 7\ 0
mother board is se440bx-3 (or 2 not sure)
m
l
December 31, 2011 1:44:40 AM

rds1220 said:
Yes I looked it up on Intels website. P08 Support for PIII-600 processor, http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/.... Your not really going to be able to do much with that computer.

thanx for the info, i plan on getting new computer, this is my practice computer for building and stuff
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 1:47:53 AM

so its on a pentium 3, this thing is rather old, Im not sure if you'd be able to do much, best would be probably 600 mhz according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III

reading the section on Katmai those would be the highest clocks for those chips.

you might be able to somehow attach a better heatsink and fan and try for higher but it could be a rather hard thing to do.

you'd not be able to find a new processor on that to try and upgrade unless you find them in old computers.

I had a p3 cpu and when I tried to oc to 1ghz for fun cause it was gonna be thrown out, I burned it out before it booted windows.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 1:51:06 AM

Instead of spending money on a POS computer your best bet would practice taking the whole thing apart and puting it back together again.
m
l
December 31, 2011 2:03:35 AM

rds1220 said:
Instead of spending money on a POS computer your best bet would practice taking the whole thing apart and puting it back together again.

good advice, ive practically already did that, plus i threw in a bunch of extra ram and a scsi card adapter with a 34g seagate cheetah hdd, all of which i had laying around, so ive put in all the upgrades i had on hand, its pretty cool for now, ive learned a lot in the process. im sure you will hear from me again in the future
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:49:17 AM

Back to the topic, the answer is "yes".
You can upgrade it with a P3-850(somewhat abundant) or even a very rare P3-1000 slot 1 Coppermine(FSB=100mhz with full speed L2 cache), and coppermines are way better, almost twice the performance than P3-450 kaimai, which is essencially a PentiumII.
Provided that you must have BIOS upgrade A11 installed at first.

I LOVE XPS T series, IMHO it's the most beautiafully shaped desktop PC ever, and its 440BX-based Intel MOBO is tough and reliable.
m
l
December 2, 2012 1:30:06 AM

I have the same machine.
bought 98 or 99
Dell a full tower
I use 2 hard drives in it.

Dell doesn't' recognize my machine either though I have the service tag 0KYJF and the express service tag 9-778-83
I put the Dell analyzer on it
finally they came up with Dimension XPS T__
That is as close as they could get.
They couldn't even tell me the memory needed though I originally bought more
memory for it from them and Firewire connector. I believe they have messed up their records.
Crucial will detect the memory for you.

The machine is fine except it is slow.
I have added memory out to 768KB Ram
Started with 128KB.
That helped a lot.
Added USB2 and Ethernet, Firewire
Of course larger drives over time.

Thing is the machine runs. Never a problem. All the parts including OS
have been added over time
gradually so that there is no extra cost keeping it running.
Still it could be quicker.

Also it is my download machine. It just sits there 24x7
sucking down stuff I am interested in.

One thing I have noticed which makes me realize that
it is being slowed down.
My internet is rated at 12Mbps, but it only rates about
4 or 5 on this machine.
Several other machines in the house come in about 10 or 11.
m
l
!