Sign in with
Your question

Computer restarting under load i5 2500k Asus P8P67 LE

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2011 6:10:03 PM

I'm having a problem with my newly built system (stock settings) with the computer restarting randomly while under load. I'll start with the specs and continue with my issue and the things I've already tried to fix the problem.

Intel i5 2500k
ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0)
G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro (Rev.2)
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Seagate 300GB Sata II 7200RPM
Antec Nine Hundred Case

When I originally setup this system I was using the stock cooler and my old PSU which was an Antec 650W. After having an issue with the system randomly restarting and noticing high CPU temps (over 80 C) under load on real temp I decided to get an aftermarket cooler. I installed an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro (Rev.2) and temps seemed to drop a little... I now get 30-35 C idle, 55-65 C during gaming, 75 C max during Prime95 and Intel burn tests. I still feel the temps are a little high but should be acceptable. However, I was still having the issue with the system restarting randomly under load. And after trying a few things to relieve this issue per suggestions online.. I decided to replace my 3 year old PSU. After installing the new OCZ 700W, I am now still having the issue with restarts under load. The restarts happen during gaming and stress tests. It happens randomly, sometimes after 30 minutes - 2 hours, sometimes after 2 minutes. All bios settings are stock.. no OC.

Some of the things I've done per suggestions from reading online

-Removed, cleaned and re-installed Heatsink with the stock cooler and the new one.. I'm sure this is installed fine. using arctic cooling MX-2 thermal compound
-I have updated my bios
-Cleared RTC RAM
-Run Memtest 86 - no errors after 3 hours
-Run Intel Burn Test - my computer has not restarted during an intel burn test on 4096 Ram setting 5 tests
-Run Prime95, during balanced run computer restarts after a few minutes to sometimes 30 minutes or more.

Some things to note:
RAM timings are rated for 9-9-9-24 and 1.5v, but at auto the timings are being changed to 11-11-11-28 and 1.65v, not sure if this is a problem or not...

I am also having the cold start boot issue that plagues these motherboards, even after updating bios and trying a few other suggestions.

I've only found one forum post of someone with a very similar build who was having the same issue, however his issue seems to have been fixed with a bios update and clear RTC ram... I've tried that and has not worked.

I really am at a loss here and now my biggest issue is that my return time with Newegg is over :(  I've spent the month trying to fix this issue figuring it was just an issue of the heatsink or PSU, but now I'm worried that either my CPU or motherboard is defective.

If anyone has any suggestions that might fix this problem I would be grateful. I've tried to be as specific as possible, but please let me know if I need to include more info.

September 29, 2011 7:41:32 PM

which model RAM do you have?

Almost certainly you have a cpu overheating problem .
Assuming you havent changed the orientation of the case fans so they all blow in , or all blow out thus destroying any chance of air flow

then the number one likely cause is that you used way too much thermal paste on the processor . A tiny drop is all you need . Its to full microscopic imperfections . The ideal is metal on metal contact .
September 29, 2011 7:56:30 PM

G.skill ripjaw series 8gb model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Front fans are blowing in, back fans out. I only use a pea size amount of thermal paste. And the first time I installed the Arctic cooler freezer 7 it came pre-applied with mx2 compound, still had the restart problem then too.

I originally thought it was an overheat problem when temps were reading well above 80C. With the arctic cooler I only get 75C during Prime95.. during Intel burn tests and gaming it does not go above 65 C. I did not think that 65 C was too hot to shut down... unless my real temp and core temp readings are way off.
Related resources
December 15, 2011 3:18:12 AM

sic162 said:
I'm having a problem with my newly built system (stock settings) with the computer restarting randomly while under load. I'll start with the specs and continue with my issue and the things I've already tried to fix the problem.

Intel i5 2500k
ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0)
G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro (Rev.2)
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Seagate 300GB Sata II 7200RPM
Antec Nine Hundred Case

When I originally setup this system I was using the stock cooler and my old PSU which was an Antec 650W. After having an issue with the system randomly restarting and noticing high CPU temps (over 80 C) under load on real temp I decided to get an aftermarket cooler. I installed an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro (Rev.2) and temps seemed to drop a little... I now get 30-35 C idle, 55-65 C during gaming, 75 C max during Prime95 and Intel burn tests. I still feel the temps are a little high but should be acceptable. However, I was still having the issue with the system restarting randomly under load. And after trying a few things to relieve this issue per suggestions online.. I decided to replace my 3 year old PSU. After installing the new OCZ 700W, I am now still having the issue with restarts under load. The restarts happen during gaming and stress tests. It happens randomly, sometimes after 30 minutes - 2 hours, sometimes after 2 minutes. All bios settings are stock.. no OC.

Some of the things I've done per suggestions from reading online

-Removed, cleaned and re-installed Heatsink with the stock cooler and the new one.. I'm sure this is installed fine. using arctic cooling MX-2 thermal compound
-I have updated my bios
-Cleared RTC RAM
-Run Memtest 86 - no errors after 3 hours
-Run Intel Burn Test - my computer has not restarted during an intel burn test on 4096 Ram setting 5 tests
-Run Prime95, during balanced run computer restarts after a few minutes to sometimes 30 minutes or more.

Some things to note:
RAM timings are rated for 9-9-9-24 and 1.5v, but at auto the timings are being changed to 11-11-11-28 and 1.65v, not sure if this is a problem or not...

I am also having the cold start boot issue that plagues these motherboards, even after updating bios and trying a few other suggestions.

I've only found one forum post of someone with a very similar build who was having the same issue, however his issue seems to have been fixed with a bios update and clear RTC ram... I've tried that and has not worked.

I really am at a loss here and now my biggest issue is that my return time with Newegg is over :(  I've spent the month trying to fix this issue figuring it was just an issue of the heatsink or PSU, but now I'm worried that either my CPU or motherboard is defective.

If anyone has any suggestions that might fix this problem I would be grateful. I've tried to be as specific as possible, but please let me know if I need to include more info.

Are you still having issues with this or have you solved it?
December 15, 2011 5:25:25 AM

Have you raised the reset temp in your bios? It's possible that it's been set to 76F while TJ MAx for SB is 98F. Bump it up to 82 or so, get realtemp and keep an eye on it. You might end up needing to reseat and re-tim your hsf.
December 22, 2011 3:23:40 PM

fr3Ak said:
Are you still having issues with this or have you solved it?

I concluded that the issue was one of my RAM modules. I spent so much time looking at everything else because memtest was showing no errors, but after I received a new replacement RAM module I have not had this issue.
!