Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade NVidia GeForce 8500 GT for Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2011 12:09:27 AM

Hi! My desktop currently has an nvidia GeForce 8500 GT graphics card. Unfortunately it struggles with games like Shogun 2 and am looking to have it at best possible condition for when SWTOR comes out. So I'm looking to upgrade to something that will definatly be good for gaming. I'd like to stay at below 300$ if possible. (But if not, am open to other suggestions at a definatly max of 500$)

My computer is an HP with an AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.2 ghz with 3.0 GB of Ram and running 32 bit windows vista home premium.

I'm not sure if there is any other info you'd need to make good suggestions.

Thanks
July 30, 2011 2:35:35 AM

Your entire PC needs replacing to play the newest games. I suggest you to spend ~200 or less on graphics and buy a new PC altogether.
Get the 560TI or 6950 regardless, they should do fine for quite a while.
July 30, 2011 9:22:05 AM

You can have you're cpu Oc a bit and grab a GTX460 and a good PSU 550W. Just stay away from 1080p resolution so that you're pc will not struggle to keep up the framerates.
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2011 9:31:43 AM

Even a cheap card like the HD5670 will be several times faster than what you have now and more appropriate for your processor.
If you have that much to spend though tell us your motherboard and PSU. You may be able to use AM3 CPUs. An Phenom II x4 955 is almost down around $100 these days and you would still be able to afford a good card on top of that, even if you need a new PSU as well.
July 30, 2011 1:45:10 PM

Okay hum I don't know what any of that is. I don't know how to tell you my motherboard type or number of pins or pcu or what not. What is oc? I need you guys to take it a little slower. Dumb it down for me. Please.
July 30, 2011 6:05:21 PM

Lol I still feel clueless. I think I might just take it into best buy and have to as much as possible trust he expert. I was just trying to be an informed consumer.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2011 7:49:17 PM

He said his computer is an HP which means it will not allow for overclocking so it isn't something that should be in the discussion.

@OP: At the very least we need the model number of your computer to be able to help you.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2011 7:52:34 PM

Quote:
His current CPU is am2+. AM3 CPUs work in AM2+ boards. Just no DDR3...

They work if there is an appropriate BIOS update that allows for such. We can't know that without knowing the motherboard in his system or the model # of the computer to look it up.
!