Sign in with
Your question

$1,000 - $2,000 Budget Build: Newbie Help

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2011 6:50:37 PM

Hello,

I'll be blunt first, I am an extreme newbie when it comes to building PCs. So you'll have to bear with my ignorance if you can. I've been looking for a new computer and multiple people have told me that building a PC is the way to go, in both price and performance.

Thing is I have no idea where to start with parts and whatnot. I never have gotten into the custom pc scene, but I guess it's better late than never right?

With that said, I'm pretty much looking for a build mainly for gaming and performance. I'm looking to run games like Battlefield 3, Vindictus, Blade & Soul, Call of Duty, Street Fighter 4 AE, etc. on max (or close to it). And for hosting and for recording gameplay.

I've heard i7 Processors are fast for gaming, so I guess that's a place to start (or any other recommendations for fast play).

Again, I'm not much of a hardware savvy here, so it'll help to break things down since I really don't know what makes up the computer case. It would help greatly if I had an ideal build with all parts necessary to build the PC ready.

Lastly, a recommendable monitor, gaming usb controller, mouse, and keyboard would be great too since I'm looking to upgrade those.

Thanks.

Edit: I think I totally created this in the wrong place.
September 29, 2011 12:56:02 AM

FinneousPJ said:
The i7 is mostly considered overkill. Short answer: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/overclock-cpu-ssd,review-... ;) 

Thanks, but thing is the memory part listed there is out of stock on Newegg and out of production on their site.

Shoot, most of the builds I look up on Google or other sites always have parts that are out of stock, and I'm clueless on what to replace it with.

May just end up buying a PC to save the headache of looking around for parts if they're going to always be out of stock.

Thanks though.
Related resources
September 29, 2011 2:36:45 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thats good memory. Corsair is always great RAM.

I would also go with a Asus P8Z68-V Pro (mobo), 2500K (CPU).

As for the case, its all your choice but at least a mid tower, although full sized will be better for air flow and wire management.

PSU, Seasonic is nice but I prefer Corsair or Silverstone.

GPU, its up to you. Two GTX580s would be overkill for a single monitor so one is pretty good or a HD6970.

Also for monitor, I like Asus and Samsung.

For a gamepad, Logitech have some great ones or even a 360 gamepad will plug and play.

For mouse, I love my Logitec G500.

Keyboard is tough. It depends on the user. I have a Logitec G15 but the G19 is even better. Or anything from Razer.
September 29, 2011 6:55:52 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
September 29, 2011 7:46:02 PM

calendarman said:
Hello,

I'll be blunt first, I am an extreme newbie when it comes to building PCs. So you'll have to bear with my ignorance if you can. I've been looking for a new computer and multiple people have told me that building a PC is the way to go, in both price and performance.

Thing is I have no idea where to start with parts and whatnot. I never have gotten into the custom pc scene, but I guess it's better late than never right?

With that said, I'm pretty much looking for a build mainly for gaming and performance. I'm looking to run games like Battlefield 3, Vindictus, Blade & Soul, Call of Duty, Street Fighter 4 AE, etc. on max (or close to it). And for hosting and for recording gameplay.

I've heard i7 Processors are fast for gaming, so I guess that's a place to start (or any other recommendations for fast play).

Again, I'm not much of a hardware savvy here, so it'll help to break things down since I really don't know what makes up the computer case. It would help greatly if I had an ideal build with all parts necessary to build the PC ready.

Lastly, a recommendable monitor, gaming usb controller, mouse, and keyboard would be great too since I'm looking to upgrade those.

Thanks.

Edit: I think I totally created this in the wrong place.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
!