GIGABYTE MOBO & SYSTEM BBQ

ricksinclair

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I recently completed a new build with an i7 2600k and a Gigabyte z68xp-ud3. After trying to get a stable over clock, I fat fingered a setting and it caused the motherboard to start this endless reboot. That's not the worst of it. I tried clearing the CMOS to no avail and the constant power cycling caused my PSU to blow. I heard a loud pop and saw a flash under the psu fan. purchased an ASUS MOBO as a replacement. Now I'm able to at least maintain power to the new board. Now for more bad news, the CPU LED on the board is red won't go away after trying to re-seat the cpu and my MSI NGTX580's fans don't spin with the power on. Please tell me i don't have to purchase a new gpu and cpu. I only got a good month out of my rig before this nightmare began.

ricksinclair

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
also some notes, if the cpu is blown i don't think it was a thermal issue, i have a cooler master hyper 212 in there and all temps stay around 50c under full load

the LEDS on the NGTX580 do illuminate, but the fans don't budge. hypothetically, without a cpu, is this normal behavior with power to the board?