B4 building new $2,000 system, a few ?'s please/TY

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Good Afternoon,

First, thank you very much for all future answers, comments and lectures. ;) Some of the questions below might not be for this category, but it is for a new build so I thought this was the best forum.

I (with some assistance) will be building a (about)$2,000 computer for mainly gaming and watching movies from hulu and Netflix. That amount is for the computer itself, excluding peripherals, monitor, etc.

My questions to help me start my build are:

1. I am thinking of the three screen set up with 24/25 inch screens. That would be great for gaming but not movies. Is there a way to also hook up a larger monitor/LCD screen (27in.) with those other three?

2. I may just use two monitors, one for gaming, one for everything else, is this an easy set up and can I use two different size screens? And switch back and forth fairly easily?

3. **Is it worth waiting for the next gen. in Graphic cards? I'll be wanting Radeon cards, the new 7000 series if they come out soon. I will be crossfiring.

4. I've read Ivy isn't a ton better then Sandy, is it worth getting a mother board that is Ivy compatible. I will be overclocking but not to much; 4.4 or so. I also would like PCI Express of two lanes of x16.

5. With PCI Express, what is 2.1 x... And is 3.0 x... worth getting on a board?

I can't really wait until next year as I have already been waiting 9 months, most likely I will build this in the middle of October. My last computer cost me about $3,300 in 2003. It was a Dell XPS; it was a package deal I found, the actual price was $4,500. It finally pooped out at the beginning of this year.

That is all I can think of to help me start working on parts. I will use a i5k or i7k (I know... I know :) ) if that helps with any answers.

Thank you very much again and everyone enjoy.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
it is worth it to wait for the next gen cards since they will be on a smaller die size so there will be a significant increase in performance.

i5 2500k
asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 (so it can run the new gpu's)
crucial m4 128gb
corsair vengeance 8gb 1600mhz low profile (cheap at amazon)
samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb
psu- need to see power consumption of new cards. should be a great deal more efficient too
case- Corsair Carbide 500r (amazon will be the cheapest for it too)
gpu- amd 7xxx series card (2 in crossfire im guessing)
20$ dvd burner
tri monitor setup- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113023
that dell is overpriced dont get it. find a 27" 3d led monitor. it will look great and not tear apart your wallet too badly

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

Thank you mjmjpfaff. A few things different but I like most of what you wrote. I'll probably go with the next better (more expensive) asrock MO. I like the Crucial m4 and the corsair memory. Samsung for sure. The PSU will most likely be a Corsair hx850, modual. I will put in a Blue Ray for the movies for sure. The case I 'may' go with will be Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid. or a Lian-Li, not sure yet. I agree with the Dell monitor but I am looking for an isp (I think), not a TN system. Hope I said that correctly and if I do the three screen thing, a 24'' or 25'' screen. :)

When you get a minute, could you please look over the questions I wrote and if you have some info on them, could you let me know. Thank you. And thank you for your time. :)

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
the hx850 will have a hard time running 2 580's. 950w is safer and cheaper too. "Samsung for sure" -sorry what do you mean? the 650d is a hot box. lian li's are not too bad but their cable management is sub par.

the ivy bridge ready motherboards are the only new gpu ready motherboards so you should definitely go with the asrock gen3 motherboard

ivy bridge will be a ton better than sandy it is on a smaller die size so that will make it more efficient and run cooler which=massive oc's

there is hardly any ips monitors over 24" and they are all over 1k. get a 27" 3d led monitor- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001474 watch 3d movies with good color since it is led.

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

Thank you again mjmjpfaff. The Samsung for sure was the Samsung HHD. And looking at that monitor took me to others just like, thank you.

Have a great weekend and I'll be posting again in about 2 weeks with what I want.

:)

TRENDING THREADS