Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Power Supply, CPU] Need Help, building PC

Last response: in Components
Share
December 31, 2011 5:09:36 AM

Hi, I am completely new here. I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

So I am in need of some help. I just bought pieces the other day to build a computer from scratch. I got everything at Canada Computers. Had a friend build everything up, put all the pieces together and got every component working and the problem starts when we first try booting the pc up and it will never show up the bios. So every component seems to be running, but wont start anything up.

We dont know what is causing this so hopefully I could get some answeres from here.
Some things we have considered to be the problem is:

- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (125W) Six Core Socket AM3, 2.8GHz, 9Mb Cache, 2000MHz HT, 45nm (HDT55TFBGRBOX). The only thing what makes us think it might be a factory defect is since it does not have an own fan, like a video card would, we wouldnt know if the actual CPU is running or not.

- VIDEO CARD: Asus ENGTX550 Ti DC/DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti Chipset (910Mhz) 1GB (4104Mhz) GDDR5 DVI-I/VGA/HDMI Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card. What makes us think it could problally be this is cause the mother board does not have integrated video, so we have no other video card than this one to try it with, so unless its factory broken we wouldnt consider this the problem.

- POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W v2.3 Power Supply (RS500-PCARA3-US). Our main reason of thinking it might be this is because it has the symthoms, everything will start off, but wont go into the bios or anything. So if this is not enough juice for the video card and the processor then this might be the problem and will need a bigger Power Supply.

I still need opinions about this, cause as you might have noticed, I am not an expert at all, and I am not even sure if this power supply might even be enough, maybe a 600w?
Maybe this is not even the problem, can you see what I am doing wrong, or am I close?
Please any help will be apretiated. Really got excited on building a PC since so many years ago from the last one, and this happens :( 

These are a little more specs about other stuff in the computer:

- MOTHER BOARD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 SoThermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case (VL80001W2Z)cket AM3+ AMD 990FX+SB950 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz 4xPCI Express x16 slots 8-Channel HD Audio Gigabit LAN 6x SATA 6GB/s 2xeSATA 6GB/s 4x USB 3.0+14x USB 2.0 ATX

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5V DIMMs (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B)

- CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case (VL80001W2Z)

I am open for any suggestion and will so happy if you can help me.

Thanks alot!

a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2011 5:35:14 AM

did you plug all the power plugs into the right places?

describe what happens when you try to turn on in a bit more detail.

a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2011 7:03:14 AM

Sinkatze said:
Hi, I am completely new here. I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

So I am in need of some help. I just bought pieces the other day to build a computer from scratch. I got everything at Canada Computers. Had a friend build everything up, put all the pieces together and got every component working and the problem starts when we first try booting the pc up and it will never show up the bios. So every component seems to be running, but wont start anything up.

We dont know what is causing this so hopefully I could get some answeres from here.
Some things we have considered to be the problem is:

- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (125W) Six Core Socket AM3, 2.8GHz, 9Mb Cache, 2000MHz HT, 45nm (HDT55TFBGRBOX). The only thing what makes us think it might be a factory defect is since it does not have an own fan, like a video card would, we wouldnt know if the actual CPU is running or not.

- VIDEO CARD: Asus ENGTX550 Ti DC/DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti Chipset (910Mhz) 1GB (4104Mhz) GDDR5 DVI-I/VGA/HDMI Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card. What makes us think it could problally be this is cause the mother board does not have integrated video, so we have no other video card than this one to try it with, so unless its factory broken we wouldnt consider this the problem.

- POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W v2.3 Power Supply (RS500-PCARA3-US). Our main reason of thinking it might be this is because it has the symthoms, everything will start off, but wont go into the bios or anything. So if this is not enough juice for the video card and the processor then this might be the problem and will need a bigger Power Supply.

I still need opinions about this, cause as you might have noticed, I am not an expert at all, and I am not even sure if this power supply might even be enough, maybe a 600w?
Maybe this is not even the problem, can you see what I am doing wrong, or am I close?
Please any help will be apretiated. Really got excited on building a PC since so many years ago from the last one, and this happens :( 

These are a little more specs about other stuff in the computer:

- MOTHER BOARD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 SoThermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case (VL80001W2Z)cket AM3+ AMD 990FX+SB950 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz 4xPCI Express x16 slots 8-Channel HD Audio Gigabit LAN 6x SATA 6GB/s 2xeSATA 6GB/s 4x USB 3.0+14x USB 2.0 ATX

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5V DIMMs (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B)

- CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case (VL80001W2Z)

I am open for any suggestion and will so happy if you can help me.

Thanks alot!

Have you got a HSF on the CPU or are you running it bare?
Related resources
December 31, 2011 7:09:11 AM

Sinkatze said:
Hi, I am completely new here. I apologize if this is in the wrong place.



- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (125W) Six Core Socket AM3, 2.8GHz, 9Mb Cache, 2000MHz HT, 45nm (HDT55TFBGRBOX). The only thing what makes us think it might be a factory defect is since it does not have an own fan, like a video card would, we wouldnt know if the actual CPU is running or not.



Thanks alot!


You mean the cpu doesn't have a fan above the heat sink??

If this is not the case then the prime suspect would be the PSU.I would recommend 550-650W PSU for non SLI setup and 750-850W for SLI.Also don't buy Cooler Master PSUs because they are known for such faults.
Go for brands like seasonic,corsair,xfx.


December 31, 2011 12:53:00 PM

esrever said:
did you plug all the power plugs into the right places?

describe what happens when you try to turn on in a bit more detail.


Yeah everything is in place. What happens is, I switch on the power on the Power Supply, Then turn on the PC with the Power button and everything starts running, fans go on for power supply, case, CPU, video card and so. But nothing ever shows up on screen.

Not sure what more I can detail.

sayantan said:
You mean the cpu doesn't have a fan above the heat sink??

If this is not the case then the prime suspect would be the PSU.I would recommend 550-650W PSU for non SLI setup and 750-850W for SLI.Also don't buy Cooler Master PSUs because they are known for such faults.
Go for brands like seasonic,corsair,xfx.


Oh yes, I didin't mention the cpu does have its own fan. I just thought it might be the cpu problem as there is no way to know if the cpu is on, because its just the fan from the cpu I see running, so not sure.

I bought Cool Master PSU because the guy at the store told me that it was a goo quality one. I just hope this is the problem and I can just exchange it for a bigger one.

Thanks alot for the replies!
December 31, 2011 12:59:57 PM

Don't buy Cooler Master.... and get at least 550w. 650W would be better.
In case you plan for sli you should go for 750-850W.
December 31, 2011 2:55:01 PM

sayantan said:
Don't buy Cooler Master.... and get at least 550w. 650W would be better.
In case you plan for sli you should go for 750-850W.


So this means my problem is most likely to be the PSU? I was told at the store that I needed like 420w, but should get a 500w and thats what I did, but Im no expert so not sure.
Guess I will take it back to the store and try it with a 650w one or something like that on monday.

Thanks for the respose!
!