Not Getting Expected Gaming Performance, CPU Is Prime Suspect

its cause games only use 2 threads most of the time and your cpu has 4 cores thus it would only use 50% of your cpu

might be good to OC the cpu just to make sure. you might be just asking for unrealistic setting on a 6850 which is a mid range card for 1080p.

nna2

Distinguished
^^ that should not be nessicary coz ur right, it never really uses more than 2 threads... and also what settings do you play on, my 6770 cant keep up with dx11 settings max settings ect on metro... JC2 is getting rather old... but if you can play Cod Black ops and Cod MW3... you shouldnt have an issue with saints row 3 or FO NV

nawid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Makes sense. I did do a stress test using Prime 95 right now and the CPU load maxed out. However, my games performance in those games is crap regardless of resolution or detail and I've even underclocked the card to see if it exacerbated things (it didn't). Doesn't seem to be the video card.

Settings don't matter, games that get bad performance for me always get bad performance.

nawid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Oh really? :lol:[/quotemsg]
Well, regardless of setting at least. Even if I run Saints Row 3 at the lowest settings, I have the same problems.

nawid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

1-5% CPU
26% RAM (mostly Chrome related which is closed when gaming).

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
1. pause antivirus during offline gameplay
2. Overclock your cpu because i5-650 is near phenom 2 x4 910e and is far far behind i5-2500k
look here
www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
i5 650 is in lower half of the list,

in short your cpu is old and is bottleneck and you have to upgrade it to get decent fps
gfx hd 6850 is enough