i5 2500k - Temperatures do not match?

Hi!

I just recently finished building a pc for myself for the holidays. Thankfully, all my components were in working order and the Windows 7 installation was a breeze.

I'm planning to overclock the CPU soon, so I downloaded Realtemp to monitor my temperatures. Now here's where I get confused.

In RealTemp, the temperatures on idle are around 27-31C, which surprised me quite a bit. But, in the BIOS, it reports that my temperature is around 34-38C? When I saw this, I immediately thought that these temps were too warm, at least for my taste, for a non-OC'd 2500k on a Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

So basically, RealTemp reports a different (and lower) temperature than the BIOS. I'm confused as to which one is actually true.

What do you guys think?
(Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm new to this stuff :??: )
7 answers Last reply
More about 2500k temperatures match
  1. They are both right.

I think in the BIOS the CPU can't go into lower power states and thus is slightly higher.

In Windows it can enable the lower power states and yield a slightly lower temp CPU.

Nothing to worry about.
  2. Every software you will use the temps will not be the same. I have the same temps on my cpu. Nothing to worry about the temps.
  3. i have i5 2500k at idle now days in winter temps are 33 and at work load they are less then 70c i am using intel stock cooler
  4. pell380 said:
    i have i5 2500k at idle now days in winter temps are 33 and at work load they are less then 70c i am using intel stock cooler

Thats on the warm side. I suggest a better cooler.
  5. Those temperatures are fine, temperatures are always higher in the BIOS because the CPU can not clock down, as it does when the CPU is idle in Windows.
  6. +1 to bios temps being higher due to not idling.
  7. Ah ok. Thank you guys for clearing it up for me. I guess I was just overreacting, with this being my first build and all. :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5