Asrock extreme 3 or extreme 4 lga 1155

cjcj11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012
i was just wonderign hwo mcuh better was the extreme 4, i see that it has more sata 6gbps and usb but is there any other big changes?

The Z77 Extreme4 and Asrock extreme three are decent budget board imho i personally would not buy neither one.But seems well from the reviews and members here on TH seem to fancy it.I have done a few build for friends with it the only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this is not a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. As long as your aware of that and do not mind it's easy recommendable now about your question only difference i can notice is on the connectivity side of things i can see we have got two Legacy PCI slots, a single PCIe x1 and two PCIe x16 slots with the second one running only at PCIe 4x making it probably not the best option if you are looking at going down the SLI / CrossFire path.I notice it has the four SATA connectors. These are all SATA II; i also notice two grey SATA ports which are SATA III. Next to that i can see the USB 3.0 header, main 24-pin ATX power connector and a fan header. On the RAM side of things anyway to answer your question it's only important if you need it otherwise i do not notice anything different other than lack the gold capacitors of the higher end ASRock options, but everything looks fairly clean and standard.It most likely will not overclock as well as the extreme four anyway hope this helps good luck!

cjcj11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012
okay so the extreme 4 will probably overclock slightly better yes? and i am plenty okay with the. i am honestly fine with the thickness also as i can just grab on to the edge of the board for more support. also, i looked at the specs and it said the two pcie runs at 16x/0 or 8x/8x does that mean they will both run at x8? plus i noticed this is the same when you look at the extreme 6. one more thing is i am not looking at the top of the line gpus, i am looking at the 7850, which i am sure can not utilize the full bandwidth of pcie 3.0, plus if i did get a better card (7950-7970) i would not need to crossfire, that is a definite, plus i would need to upgrade my psu, so if the x8 speed only affects the really good cards i should be fine right? please correct me if i am wrong

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Less SATA 3 ports it looks like. Either one should be fine. ASRock has come a long way since it was a budget subsidiary of ASUS. Actually I myself just bought the Extreme4 from newegg.ca today.

cjcj11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012
okay thanks, obviously you will be able to push it a little farther but i doubt heat will be an issue for me as i really wont need that high clock speeds, another thing lol, i am considering underclocking to save power lmfao, depending on my usage

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I won't be clocking it too high either. Just going to put it through its paces to see what it can do, then put a decent overclock on it.

You shouldn't need to underclock, Ivy-bridge is very energy efficient as it is if you leave it at stock speeds. Also, you can try undervolting if you're going to overclock to keep cpu temps down as well if you have issues, I doubt you will though. This is all based on what I've read, seeing as I don't have any first hand experience with Ivy-bridge yet.

cjcj11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012
i alos like how all of the fan connectors are pwm and i also like the layout of the fan i/o ports too, as it would work good with my setup, i would have a pwm y cable for 2 intake fans on the fan port on the lower right of the board, then i would use the one at the bottom for my gpu intake fan and then there is another one i can use for a second cpu fan

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I got my i5 up to 4.8ghz on the Asrock board after. Fairly pleased, but it runs pretty warm, and a kuhler 920 starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner at higher rpm speeds. So I gave it up after half an hour.

Right now I have it left on 4.2ghz offset voltage. Ran prime 95 for 24 hours. Stable oc. At low rpm it never went past 71 degrees. At higher rpm speed its quite a bit cooler.

cjcj11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012
Thats great to hear, i definatley womt be needimg to bring it up that high, more for bragging rights. :D but yea again its good to hear this board can push it that high i will just have to see the temps woth a hyper 212 evo, also my build has been delayed as i have not had the cash flow lately, i kjust have to sella. possession of mine that i have

cjcj11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2012

hey i was finally able to build my pc. the specs are asrock extreme4, core i5-3570k, corsair vengance 2x4gb low profile 1600 mhz ram, hyper 212 evo cooler, and fractal design define r4 case. right now i do not have my gpu yet so im just trying to see how high i can get my cpu and ram so i can see how far i can push hd graphics 4000 right now. in the asrock bios there is a preset overclock profile if you hadnt noticed, its great after a few clicks i got it to 4.4 ghz, i havnt had time to compare the difference in battelfeild 3 yet but i will soon. do you have any experience in overclocking the ram on this board? i really want to get those speeds higher so i can really milk everything out of hd graphics 4000 (i am actually very happy with the intel igpu, it destroys my radeon hd 6450 at stock settings, with an overclock it probably destroys the 6450)

TRENDING THREADS