CPU making buzzing/high-pitch

danjako43

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
My computer makes a buzzing/high-pitch noise when I open up, well generally all none-3D stuff like Firefox or occasionally Windows Explorer. I think this is so since the noise goes into full throttle when I open up youtube or wikipedia, both of which has no 3D materials. And of course, the noise was there when I visited tomshardware's "Home" page. Hey, I also opened up a "New Tab" on firefox, went there on that white blank page and the noise is going full throttle too.

This noise comes from the general area of the CPU. I have an intel i5-2500k. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z68A-D3H-B3. No overclocking, running on stock speeds.

Oddly, this does not happen "frequently" or at all in high-demand 3D applications/games. For example, in Skyrim, I can play without getting this noise, but when I press escape to open up the menu, the noise resumes. In Batman Arkham City, I can play without even hearing the noise at all.

I believe the problem is akin to the video seen here. The noise in the video is just like the noise that I get, except not that loud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2pSgdqr7I

If you guys can identify that the guy in the video has a different problem than me, then you can at least tell what the noise sounds like.

Is there any fix for this?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

That's just the intel cooler being loud. I recommend that you change the cooler to something like a hyper 212+ evo.