Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair h100 too hard on PSU?

Last response: in Components
December 31, 2011 7:17:00 AM

Hello everyone,

This is kind of a long read so please bear with me.

I have a strange problem. I got my PC this summer and it's been running fine ever since yesterday. Yesterday, I received the Corsair H100 cpu cooler in the mail. After I installed it and started my pc I went into BIOS to see my temps. My cpu temps were in the high 80's/lower 90's C and it said my cpu fan was at 0 rpm. I quickly turned off my PC and made sure everything was connected in the right places. The light on the h100 pump turned on when the pc did so I couldn't quite figure out what the problem was.

After several attempts to try to get the cpu cooler to work I said the hell with it and uninstalled it and put it back in the box and wrote corsair's tech support about the problem.

Today, I re-installed my thermaltake spin-q fan and my temps dropped significantly which at the time was a relief. There was one or two times it wouldn't show a display when turned on so I just turned off the pc, unplugged and replugged the power cord to the psu, and turned it back on and it worked again. Now, it just gives me the blinking amber light on the gpu everytime and won't show a display.

I noticed the amber light on my video card was blinking when it failed to start. I researched that and it turns out that that's most likely a faulty psu.

My question is, When I installed my Corsair h100 did that somehow drain the psu quickly? That would make perfect sense if it did. My specs are as shown below

Intel I7 2600k (NOT OC'ED)
8 gb 1600 corsair vengeance
850 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 W0319RU PSU
Nvidia gtx 590 gpu
Cooler master haf 922 case
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard
Western digital Dual 500 GB hdd's 16mb cache 6/mbs

One more thing, I got my PC from ibuypower.com and 850W was the recommended for the gpu I use in case you're wondering if the gpu caused it to fail.

More about : corsair h100 hard psu

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2011 7:37:22 AM

psu is good but i think your 590 is playing hell with your 850w.it is technically 580x2.so it is very power hungry.i am not sure about your problem :( 
Score
a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 850 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 1:08:30 PM

The H100 should not pull that much power but it looks like your PSU possible died. Your temps where way to high so are you sure it was installed right?
850watts should be plenty for your system but the TT TR2 is not the best PSU based on the review of its 750watt sibling http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...
Score
Related resources
December 31, 2011 4:47:21 PM

I followed all the instructions that came with it and watched a few youtube videos when installing it so i'm almost 100% sure I installed it correctly. I forgot to add that I also added 3 extra 120mm fans. Would that consume more power too? Like I said in my OP, I didn't start getting the blinking amber light until after I installed the corsair h100 and the other fans. It didn't happen right away but afterwards when I turned it on it started happening. The PSU has been running solid since July when I got it and didn't start acting up until 2 days ago.
Score

Best solution

a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 850 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 4:54:21 PM

Chances are that the H100 is bad but looks like the PSU died could be coincident.
December 31, 2011 4:58:32 PM

The reviews for the psu i'm using don't look good either. One said if died on him after 4-5 months and that's exactly the same boat i'm in. Maybe the PSU was already weak when i installed the H100 and couldn't support enough power? Anyways, looks like i'll be getting a new PSU. Thanks for your help.
Score
a c 1167 ) Power supply
a c 107 à CPUs
December 31, 2011 7:50:59 PM

mdkinney83 said:
The reviews for the psu i'm using don't look good either. One said if died on him after 4-5 months and that's exactly the same boat i'm in. Maybe the PSU was already weak when i installed the H100 and couldn't support enough power? Anyways, looks like i'll be getting a new PSU. Thanks for your help.

The OEM for your Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W (W0319RU), HEC/COMPUCASE Group, is not known for making good power supply units.

The Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W (W0319RU) is well known for causing a lot of undiagnosable system problems until it is replaced and all the problems disappear.
Score
December 31, 2011 8:17:57 PM

one thing not asked,but you did have the h100 plugged into the cpu fan connector on the mobo?and the molex connected?
Score
January 1, 2012 4:34:24 AM

Earnie said:
one thing not asked,but you did have the h100 plugged into the cpu fan connector on the mobo?and the molex connected?

Yup, made sure of that and the other 4 pin connector was plugged in and the molex was plugged into the psu. What's weird is the light on the pump came on but the cpu wasn't being cooled. At this point, i'm starting to suspect it's all coincidental like my psu was already getting ready to die and couldn't support enough power for the pump. I also connected more fans into the motherboard too so maybe that might have helped kill it. Anyways, this sucks! LOL.
Score
January 9, 2012 3:41:59 AM

Best answer selected by mdkinney83.
Score
January 9, 2012 3:44:47 AM

Got my new PSU a few days ago. The ax1200 by corsair. Reason for that is because I plan on adding another GTX 590 sometime in the near future. Everything is working fine again so yes there was a problem with the PSU and one other thing I forgot to mention was the molex connector from the H100. It only had two pins but is meant to be 4 pins so maybe it was a combo of both the PSU and the H100. Anyways, i'm getting a replacement for that soon so hopefully I don't have anymore problems. Thanks for all your help
Score
!