Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Printing photos in (near) realtime

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

My service club has a couple of fund raisers each year where we cook
breakfast for the comunity and kids can have their pics taken with
Santa or the Easter Bunny. In the past we have used Polariod film, but
now would like to move into the 21st century and do the photos
digitally for better quality (and probably lower cost since the
Polariod film is getting harder to find).

But how can we hook up a digital camera to a laptop so that the photos
are immediately saved to the laptop to be cropped and printed rather
than being stored on the flash card?

We don't want to be switching cards after each photo and hauling the
cards over to the laptop because of the time delays and also the
wear/tear on the cards and cameras.

Do I need a digital camera with some special feature (what's it
called?) or can most digital cameras be put into this mode?

Appeciate any help,

-Harry
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:02:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> news:1158an1kfa3gv7f@news.supernews.com...
> > hef2k@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> >
> >> But how can we hook up a digital camera to a laptop so that the
photos
> >> are immediately saved to the laptop to be cropped and printed
rather
> >> than being stored on the flash card?
> >
> > Most of the middle to higher end Canon cameras will let you
> > shoot using a computer. Canon supplies 'Remote Capture' software
> > which allows you to do this.
> >
> > You can mount the camera on a tripod and control the camera
> > remotely over a USB cable from the computer keyboard.
> >
> > The images are transferred directly to the hard drive.
> > As a matter of fact, with my Canon 10D, I can shoot
> > without a CF card in place.
> >
>
>
> Even my Rebel (300D) has this ability. Note: to shoot with out a CF
card
> you need the Firmware hack.
>
> --
>
> Rob
>
>
> >

But I don't think you need to do the firmware hack. Just put a CF card
in the camera and shoot with the camera connected to a laptop. I have
not tried this, but from reading the instructions I think that is how
it is designed to work.

roalnd
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:33:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

hef2k@hotmail.com wrote:


> But how can we hook up a digital camera to a laptop so that the photos
> are immediately saved to the laptop to be cropped and printed rather
> than being stored on the flash card?

Most of the middle to higher end Canon cameras will let you
shoot using a computer. Canon supplies 'Remote Capture' software
which allows you to do this.

You can mount the camera on a tripod and control the camera
remotely over a USB cable from the computer keyboard.

The images are transferred directly to the hard drive.
As a matter of fact, with my Canon 10D, I can shoot
without a CF card in place.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:08:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
news:1158an1kfa3gv7f@news.supernews.com...
> hef2k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>
>> But how can we hook up a digital camera to a laptop so that the photos
>> are immediately saved to the laptop to be cropped and printed rather
>> than being stored on the flash card?
>
> Most of the middle to higher end Canon cameras will let you
> shoot using a computer. Canon supplies 'Remote Capture' software
> which allows you to do this.
>
> You can mount the camera on a tripod and control the camera
> remotely over a USB cable from the computer keyboard.
>
> The images are transferred directly to the hard drive.
> As a matter of fact, with my Canon 10D, I can shoot
> without a CF card in place.
>


Even my Rebel (300D) has this ability. Note: to shoot with out a CF card
you need the Firmware hack.

--

Rob


>
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:53:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

hef2k@hotmail.com writes:

> My service club has a couple of fund raisers each year where we cook
> breakfast for the comunity and kids can have their pics taken with
> Santa or the Easter Bunny. In the past we have used Polariod film, but
> now would like to move into the 21st century and do the photos
> digitally for better quality (and probably lower cost since the
> Polariod film is getting harder to find).
>
> But how can we hook up a digital camera to a laptop so that the photos
> are immediately saved to the laptop to be cropped and printed rather
> than being stored on the flash card?
>
> We don't want to be switching cards after each photo and hauling the
> cards over to the laptop because of the time delays and also the
> wear/tear on the cards and cameras.
>
> Do I need a digital camera with some special feature (what's it
> called?) or can most digital cameras be put into this mode?

Most digital cameras can upload via USB, though often times it is a slow
transfer, since digital camera makers don't spend the time to optimize the USB
link. Also, note when doing the upload, most cameras are frozen. I think from
a time perspective having two or three cards and manually swapping them will be
faster than doing the upload. Note, you probably want to look at shooting in
3:2 aspect ratio, so you don't have to crop, and look at something like a
printer with a memory port, and eliminate the laptop alltogether.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:31:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message
news:1112817760.784172.60950@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>> news:1158an1kfa3gv7f@news.supernews.com...
>> > hef2k@hotmail.com wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> >> But how can we hook up a digital camera to a laptop so that the
> photos
>> >> are immediately saved to the laptop to be cropped and printed
> rather
>> >> than being stored on the flash card?
>> >
>> > Most of the middle to higher end Canon cameras will let you
>> > shoot using a computer. Canon supplies 'Remote Capture' software
>> > which allows you to do this.
>> >
>> > You can mount the camera on a tripod and control the camera
>> > remotely over a USB cable from the computer keyboard.
>> >
>> > The images are transferred directly to the hard drive.
>> > As a matter of fact, with my Canon 10D, I can shoot
>> > without a CF card in place.
>> >
>>
>>
>> Even my Rebel (300D) has this ability. Note: to shoot with out a CF
> card
>> you need the Firmware hack.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rob
>>
>>
>> >
>
> But I don't think you need to do the firmware hack. Just put a CF card
> in the camera and shoot with the camera connected to a laptop. I have
> not tried this, but from reading the instructions I think that is how
> it is designed to work.
>

Yes I think you are correct and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just
wanted to point out that the 300D can't shoot with out a CF card unless the
hack is installed.

--

Rob
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:28:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<hef2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112811722.650848.194810@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> My service club has a couple of fund raisers each year where we cook
> breakfast for the comunity and kids can have their pics taken with
> Santa or the Easter Bunny. In the past we have used Polariod film, but
> now would like to move into the 21st century and do the photos
> digitally for better quality (and probably lower cost since the
> Polariod film is getting harder to find).
>
> But how can we hook up a digital camera to a laptop so that the photos
> are immediately saved to the laptop to be cropped and printed rather
> than being stored on the flash card?
>
> We don't want to be switching cards after each photo and hauling the
> cards over to the laptop because of the time delays and also the
> wear/tear on the cards and cameras.
>
> Do I need a digital camera with some special feature (what's it
> called?) or can most digital cameras be put into this mode?
>
> Appeciate any help,
>
> -Harry
With reference to the other posters who have mentioned using a canon 300D
tethered to laptop. Yes you can fire the camera from the laptop (or the
camera) and save directly to the HDD in the laptop...HOWEVER, there is a
significant delay when doing this between hitting the release and the camera
firing in this mode.

My suggestion would be to address your proposed workflow.

Method 1.Shoot a bunch of kids, take card out and pass to spod using the
laptop who passes you a secound card....continue to shoot a bunch more kids
whilst spod deals with the images on the 1st card.

Method 2.Shoot a bunch of kids, take card out and pass to spod using a stand
alone printer such as an epson PicrtureMate, HP375, Canon CP220, Canon 400,
Epson inkjet for example (various current models have onboard card readers
and LCD screens) who passes you a secound card....continue to shoot a bunch
more kids whilst spod deals with the images on the 1st card.

Method 3. Shoot a bunch of kids and then tether the camera via a usb lead to
an Epson Inkjet (for example) and print off required images.

Method 4. Shoot a bunch of kids and then select images for printing off the
back off the camera using the onboard PictBridge (?) which tags files for
printing then insert card into printer of choice or tether up usb lead to
printer of choie and print.

Many if not all current digital cameras use some flavour of the "for
printing" tag so you're limited to just high end cameras
!