Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge-Extreme MoBo (LGA2011) . . . RampageIV, P9X79 Deluxe, Oth

Last response: in Motherboards
October 20, 2012 11:45:12 AM

I am putting together a new build and was all set to go Z77 Ivy Bridge i7 3770K when I decided to check out the X79 Sandy Bridge Extreme possibilities. After much thought and some much appreciated help, I have in fact decided that for my purposes (HD video editing, flight simulator use, multiple monitors and work), the X79 SBE i7 3930K is probably the better way to go. Sounds like, apart from the extra money the Sandy Bridge-E is the better direction for it will do everything Ivy Bridge will do and more . . . especially in the practical applications I need (HD video editing, flight simulator (w/ large rendering requirements), and work) . . . yes?

With that said, I would really appreciate advice on what would be the best MoBo to go with. I was quite looking forward to the Maximus V Extreme for the Z77 IB i7 3770K. For the X79 SBE i7 3930K I at first was thinking about the Asus Rampage IV Extreme . . . but now also considering the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe. I like the built in Thunderbolt and Wifi component that existed in the Maximus V Extreme . . . this does not appear to be integrated into the Rampage IV but at least WiFi does seem to exist in the P9X79 Deluxe. Of course this is not critical as I can always add internal WiFi later myself . . .

I would really appreciate help in choosing the most robust, dependable board for my new computer. Dependability is critial for my work bkz I live on my computer. Which is the newer board with the most useful features for my purposes (HD video editing, flight simulator use, multiple monitors and work that requires working with many multiple large files and all that that entails (ex. uploading/downloading, etc))? Apart from flight simulator work (I am a pilot) I don't do a lot of gaming, but the HD video editing is resource intense and I would like a MoBo that has the most current features and, after the dependability consideration, allows for the greatest practical upgrade flexibility given my needs.

Thank you very much.

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Specs:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Ramp...
ASUS P9X79 Deluxe:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X7...

a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2012 8:10:35 AM

Go for P9X79 DELUXE. You dont need to spend on Rampage IV Extreme. Its featured for gaming. More PCI-E bandwidth. As you dont need to gaming at enthusiast level, you dont need rampage IV extreme.

P9X79 Deluxe is more than enough for you. Even with high end gaming.
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:44:52 AM

mubin said:
Go for P9X79 DELUXE. You dont need to spend on Rampage IV Extreme. Its featured for gaming. More PCI-E bandwidth. As you dont need to gaming at enthusiast level, you dont need rampage IV extreme.

P9X79 Deluxe is more than enough for you. Even with high end gaming.

Hi mubin--thank you very much for your reply!

Are the Rampage IV Extreme benefits purely overclocking related? Are there any other benefits the Rampage MoBo might have over the P9X79 Deluxe?

As mentioned earlier, I did notice the Rampage lacked WiFi (recognizing not a big issue, but a card I would probably add later on my own)--so, in addition to a cost savings of $69, the P9X79 having WiFi is kind of a small benefit.

Thank you!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 8:02:05 AM

Hi, not much in overclock but more in feature. P9X79 Deluxe lacks in 4-way sli/crossfire which you dont need. And some other feature for better overclocking. OC key for easy overclock and use of 1366 socket cpu cooler. You dont need any of this.

Rampage will be wast of money if you buy it.
m
l
!